Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

The gov have a difficult balancing act.It might sound uncaring but they have to put the needs of the many above the needs of a few.If a million people lose their jobs how damaging is that compared to 1000 people dying... nobody can really answer that.Obviously those in the more vulnerable groups or with relatives in that group will feel like it's worth the potential long term damage to the economy to just go for it now but there's no guarantee that copying Italy would even make much difference at this stage.

1000 people?

This has the potential to kill off 500,000-700,000 people in the UK IMO

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Madrid currently has over 1000 confirmed cases nearly half of Spain’s total and the powers that be  decided that Liverpool v Athletico Madrid should go ahead as normal!

Mind you i would rather fancy getting through in front of 55000 than in front of 0.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

1000 people?

This has the potential to kill off 500,000-700,000 people in the UK IMO

700,000 based on what exactly?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

Who else here is surprised that Swine Flu killed nearly 600,000 people worldwide? 

I kind of assumed that it didn't kill many people as the panic seemed to end as quickly as it started. 

No surprise to me. 

Posted

France has reported nearly 500 new cases since yesterday to 2281and deaths have increased by 15 to 48.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Mind you i would rather fancy getting through in front of 55000 than in front of 0.

I'm a Liverpool supporter but I hope Liverpool go out tonight.  Don't want the club/players/supporters to be involved in European football currently. 

Also, with Barcelona v Napoli and Juventus v Lyon unlikely to go ahead for the foreseeable future, the competition is only going to come to a halt sooner or later.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sheffield's bubble has been broken one case confirmed.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

700,000 based on what exactly?

That's 1% of the population.

Based on the almost 5% death rate we are seeing in other countries where the health system has been overwhelmed, that would mean only 14 million (20%) of the UK population would need to succumb to the virus in order to potentially see that 700,000 deaths figure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Meanwhile Boris tells us to wash our hands, sing happy birthday and allows a quarter of a million people to mix openly.

Has he seen the reports from Italy? 

WHAT IS GOING ON???

11 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

You can only sustain what Italy are doing for a few weeks, a month max.If you go too early you might need to keep the country in lockdown for 2/3 months... if that happened here the economy would lose billions, possibly going into recession not to mention the longer it goes on the more likely there would be increasing public disorder. 

5 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

BBC London news saying the capital could face restrictions within a few weeks.

Probably a bit too late by then!

How long do you think it takes to get the Army into action?  That might be why.

• Like 1

Posted

I expect France will be quarantined by next week  and I would fully support the decision .

It’s out of control now here sadly and I really can’t see any other option .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Robbie Garrett said:

How long do you think it takes to get the Army into action?  That might be why.

The army have been poised for weeks. 

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

That's 1% of the population.

Based on the almost 5% death rate we are seeing in other countries where the health system has been overwhelmed, that would mean only 14 million (20%) of the UK population would need to succumb to the virus in order to potentially see that 700,000 deaths figure.

We are currently running at 1.75%.

8 out of 456 cases.  Not sure what the percentages are that are in ICU.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
9 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

The gov have a difficult balancing act.It might sound uncaring but they have to put the needs of the many above the needs of a few.If a million people lose their jobs how damaging is that compared to 1000 people dying... nobody can really answer that.Obviously those in the more vulnerable groups or with relatives in that group will feel like it's worth the potential long term damage to the economy to just go for it now but there's no guarantee that copying Italy would even make much difference at this stage.

If the government is slack then we will be talking way north of 1000 deaths from this in this country alone.

The critical care figure is consistent in most countries at around 10%, if the healthcare system collapses then most of those 10% will die and that is what we are seeing in Italy right now.

Economically, lock down right now will probably not make much of a difference given how global factors can dominate individual countries. The US looks like a catastrophe in the making and eventually when the numbers reach seven figures I suspect the stock markets will collapse regardless of what we do.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

The army have been poised for weeks. 

Yes, but are all of them ready to take over the streets.   The disorder will be higher than 2011 riots, and what do the Army do with them?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Like Wuhan all over again...

Veneto asking for full Wuhan measures ....

(...)

The requests of the Veneto

Even the President of the Veneto Region, Zaia, announced that he had asked for even more incisive measures to combat the virus, even without detailing them. "If it continues like this it will all close by force," he said at a press conference. «Today the game is in the hands of the Venetians. I want to see the empty streets, the lights of the rooms turned off, the empty beaches, the deserted squares. Beyond the law: don't go to friends' dinners, don't meet family, don't go out. Each family must remain isolated in their home ».

WWW.CORRIERE.IT

Notizie e approfondimenti di cronaca, politica, economia e sport con foto, immagini e video di Corriere TV. Meteo, salute, guide viaggi, Musica e giochi...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Garybournemouth said:

I keep getting such lies popping up on my facebook feed regarding Corona . Latest...

20200311_172614.jpg

Good god, and unfortunately people believe that rubbish, yes a lot of colds are coronavirus's however this one is a brand new pathegen that no one has any immunity full stop. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Robbie Garrett said:

We are currently running at 1.75%.

8 out of 456 cases.  Not sure what the percentages are that are in ICU.

Even with a death rate of 2.5% we'd see the same 700,000 figure with a 40% infection rate.

• Like 1

Posted

The UK government are in a sticky situation . By not testing more they’ve not seen the rates of community transmission and if the increase in testing sees a massive increase in cases questions are going to be asked .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Yes, but are all of them ready to take over the streets.   The disorder will be higher than 2011 riots, and what do the Army do with them?

This was discussed yesterday but no way would there be any widespread riots or civil unrest. 

Posted

It's clear, very clear in fact, that unless we take aggressive China like action then things are going to get very very bad. People may not like the action taken but I genuinely believe it to be for their own good from this point.

• Like 5