Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
30 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Couldn't even get any soap in Lidl last week!

Aren’t you suppose to use olive oil and scrape it off like in the Roman baths? Thinking of that Italy might not be a too good example at the moment 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy reports 2,313 new cases and 196 new deaths. An additional 1,045 have recovered +41 on yesterday

That's one person dying roughly every 7mins in the last 24 hours in Italy just from this alone  

• Like 2

Posted

Still no update from the French government as to confirmed cases .

Very unusual they normally produce two a day .

• Like 2

Posted

Up to 18 cases here in Herts now, the highest in England outside of London. Not too surprising given our proximity to the capital and the commuter belt, along with how many local schools went to Italy in half-term. 

Edited by saint
  • Like 2

Guest Delete Me
Just now, nick sussex said:

Isn't Macron addressing the nation at 8pm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and anything extreme.

I keep getting such lies popping up on my facebook feed regarding Corona . Latest...

20200311_172614.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, nick sussex said:

Isn't the president speaking tonight? Maybe going to announce something big and they're holding off?

Guest Delete Me
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Isn't the president speaking tonight? Maybe going to announce something big and they're holding off?

8pm and is expected to announce a border closure with Spain and Italy amongst other lockdown information

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

Isn't Macron addressing the nation at 8pm?

I thought that was tomorrow night .

They normally produce two updates a day , one in the afternoon and one later in the evening .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
20 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Some points and suggestions coming from various angles related to COVID 19 :

It is a good idea to keep in mind focus on lung fibrosis - which is a key focal point of attack from this virus once it invades the human cell and propagates through the respiratory tract. 

Lung fibrosis occurs for a variety of different reasons - and especially with greater age. However, within the context of COVID, it refers to scarring of tissue due to the inflammatory action of the virus on that tissue as it attacks it - and which in turn leads to the symptoms of cough and shortness of breath allied with the rise in temperature as body immunity response to the virus attack.

It is obvious that the existing condition of the lungs, prior to attack from the virus, will be a major factor in determining potential extent of damage the virus further imposes on the lungs - and in turn the potential further increased severity of symptoms. Of course other underlying factors, as outlined in the professional health expert guidance come into play from one individual to another - but travel to the lungs, and the effects therein, is clearly a vital process for priority monitoring. 

A very quick, and basic test of ones own lung condition can be very easily accomplished by anyone of us at any suitable time :

Choosing a well ventilated place, and preferably a step outside into the fresh air in isolation of others - take a full deep inhalation of air and fill the lungs as much as possible to capacity. Hold the air there, as tight as can be managed, for a good 10 seconds before exhaling out once more. If its possible to fill the lungs to full capacity, and experience no discomfort or pain in doing so  (but most especially without involuntary coughing or spluttering during this time that aborts the exercise), then this is a reasonable provisional indicator that pre-existing fibrosis, from other causes and agents, is not present.

There is little doubt in my mind that the potential severity of case reactions pivots around general lung condition at the time of infection (and in tandem with other factors that might undermine personal immunity and weakening organs within the body that especially includes the lungs). A lot of the worst and most alarming cases seen in the worst affected countries centre around this alarming and very distressing oxygen starvation issue - then compounded by not enough ventilation equipment and related resources to support those with least capacity. It is the stealth process of oxygen starvation that in turn impacts the other organs within the body and makes the patient condition even more critical.

The resources of national NHS (and other international country major health organisations) is out of our individual control...and much could be said about that as a related subject!. But oxygenating the bloodstream and organs on the larger scale in terms of general moderate exercise is a good free of cost measure to choose to take at any time, and whilst it will not prevent potential infection from COVID, it will at least help assist the body combatting the COVID threat.

Drinking of fluids is very important. It is one that I need to keep reminding myself to do more than I do - its too easy to forget to do it and/or or not consciously make time to stop and do it. Flushing the body helps detox the main organs which as discussed can come under pressure during virus attack. Of course this is  very much in tandem with the imperative need for hand washing prevention to minimise the risk of ingestion of virus and pathogen in the first place.

A balanced diet assists the immune system and blood count - especially one low in refined sugar carbohydrates and 'bad cholesterol' saturated fats. This is much better than relying on supplements (and which will make next to no difference in my opinion in context of COVID).  It is additionally a very simple way to lose some unwanted weight over time and 'drop a size or two' - steadily and safely. Also it is a diet that makes it possible to still eat lots of delicious food and one I am very glad I embarked on a while back and to a better degree than I used to !

Next the subject of testing vs case increase.   It is wholly inevitable that very sizeable increases in active cases are going to happen in the days and weeks ahead. My own view is that ongoing figures almost certainly cannot realistically account for a very significant number of case infections going under the radar. Neither, rightly or wrongly, can achievable time vs resources make this possible and so it is unrealistic to expect officials and administration, anywhere, to be able to succeed in this respect.. 

Therefore anticipation and expectation management of all stats updates on COVID is better paced accordingly for mental sanity purposes with all this in mind. On that basis better to not be overly dismayed or overreactive to sudden jumps when they happen, as much as not feel any false sense of security due to any lower than expected individual update(s). Not relevant just for ones own country of nationality but also other countries that are leading the biggest increases at this time. Rather like monitoring the computer models in weather patterns, it makes sense  to measure trends over days (and indeed ultimately weeks) than blanket frenzied analysis and then instant reaction and conclusions drawn from each and every update - especially wrt social media tweets which require very careful pruning....

Its going to be a very long process over many weeks to see how this virus play out and we simply have to ride out each day at a time which is going to be difficult., and when reassurances are naturally always a top priority of instinctive human need..   Most everyone is very concerned over the spread of this virus and its impacts, but much better to keep the official advice in mind when looking at these figures and what they themselves expect to see emerge.

I am not a fan by any means of this government in terms of its, um shall we say, wider remits and objectives, but there is some reassurance that each conference update on COVID derives very much from the expert medical view of those either side of the PM at these briefings - and a sign that for this serious matter at least for once, expert opinion is being heeded when decisions are made and are based on that advice and not by the much more familiarly witnessed damaging political ideology that result in facts, truth and perspective going  right out of the window....

Thanks for the detail and nice to see you posting again @Tamara!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
pri146354741.jpg
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Coronavirus was officially declared a pandemic, the highest level classification the World Health Organisation can give, on Wednesday as the number of cases and...

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

Reuters: The White House has ordered federal health officials to treat top-level corona virus meetings as classified, an unusual step that has restricted information and hampered the U.S. government’s response to the contagion.

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

Reuters: The White House has ordered federal health officials to treat top-level corona virus meetings as classified, an unusual step that has restricted information and hampered the U.S. government’s response to the contagion.

Nothing surprises me anymore ! 

Posted
16 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

Who else here is surprised that Swine Flu killed nearly 600,000 people worldwide? 

I kind of assumed that it didn't kill many people as the panic seemed to end as quickly as it started. 

That is high, the offical total according to WHO's estimate was 280,000 roughly, but its hard to tell I admit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I thought that was tomorrow night .

They normally produce two updates a day , one in the afternoon and one later in the evening .

He's addressing the nation tonight at 20h00. Strange that there's been no update though - maybe he'll announce it, among other things...

Here's the link to santépublique if it's useful:

WWW.SANTEPUBLIQUEFRANCE.FR

Points de situation, questions-réponses, interviews d'experts... tout savoir sur l’infection au nouveau coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), COVID-19, en France et dans le Monde

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
31 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy reports 2,313 new cases and 196 new deaths. An additional 1,045 have recovered +41 on yesterday

Some suggestions that data was missing from yesterday, and they've included it in today's update with new cases around the 1,700 mark for the 24hr update to today and the rest for what should have gone in yesterday. Yesterday's update was below 1000 new cases.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Today now has 5851 cases so far, so officially the largest day of cases outside of China, and probably will top 6000 with France and more from the USA. Feels like a big day this one.

WHO finally saying its a pandemic and various governments finally starting to take some more proactive measures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

Who else here is surprised that Swine Flu killed nearly 600,000 people worldwide? 

I kind of assumed that it didn't kill many people as the panic seemed to end as quickly as it started. 

Killed My Dad (Aug 2010) and Luke (Feb 2011) and left me suffering endless 'Post Viral symptoms' of muscle/joint pain, Chronic Vertigo, Chronic Fatigue, near permanent 'Brain Fog' and all the mental 'responses' such drives in a soul over time?

I think, like many folk out there, unless 'they' have personally suffered from 'it' and 'it's' impacts, they 'apparently' couldn't care less? (until dragged, kicking and screaming, towards acceptance that such a 'thing' happened to others and was terrible for all those involved?)

I think a time has arrived that will make many folk 'accept' what has happened over their recent past, and whether or not they wish 'Their Society' to be so ordered?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 5

Posted
50 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

553 tomorrow, UK total lockdown begins Mon 23 March

I wouldn't be at all suprised if we see a lockdown soon,then again, this idiotic Gov allows a quater of a million people to gather in one place.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I've got a snow and wind warning for tonight. Should keep me off this thread a bit more later this evening lol

Where do you live? At Donegal. Not shown on the thingy on the top left of postings.