Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

Posted
48 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

+30 in London that is 200% increase on yesterday with 10, signs in London it may be stirring. 

Yeah London probably is the biggest worry, and naturally it will attract the largest chunk of people coming from London.

France up again just shy of 200, but the big mover still is Spain. Sweden and Denmark also big movers relative to their numbers.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Just got home and watched John Campbell's update for today, some points taken from a Chinese study on a bus:

• Airborne transmission effective at 4.5m away
  • Virus can stay in the air for 30 minutes
  • Can last on surfaces for days at 37c / 97F on glass, fabric, paper, metal or plastic
  • At colder temperatures it can survive for considerably longer
  • Can survive for 5 days in faeces or bodily fluids

In the case of self isolation it is says confined to your home and don’t go outside.  I can see this being reasonable in the case of a flat where common areas are shared by others but not in an ordinary home that does not share any common areas. So access to the garden and depending on the situation open spaces seems reasonable. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 hours ago, Paul Faulkner said:

As of 9am on 10 March 2020, 26,261 people have been tested in the UK, of which 25,888 were confirmed negative and 373 were confirmed as positive. Six patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

If you divide the number of people tested by the number of people tested positive, then one person is tested positive every 70 tests.

It might not be the case in real life however 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Yeah London probably is the biggest worry, and naturally it will attract the largest chunk of people coming from London.

France up again just shy of 200, but the big mover still is Spain. Sweden and Denmark also big movers relative to their numbers.

France tend to update twice a day so that figure is likely to change later . In Spain there’s a big cluster in the Basque region caused by over 70 people catching it a funeral there .

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

The study was carried out on a bus whereby a passenger became infected via airborne transmission from another passenger sat 4.5 meters away, nearly 15ft.

Crazy eh!

If they are sitting further back in the bus the original carrier it's not really surprising, as every time the doors open you'd get a breeze that would push any airborne droplets backwards. aka try and stay 'upwind' of people so it essentially gets pushed away from you, than towards you

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Just travelled 1 stop on a commuter train.  10 people cough and or breathing heavily.  Thst was a 10 minute journey.   

It makes you wonder doesnt it. About 5 9f these didnt cover when coughing.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Guest Delete Me
2 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Just travelled 1 stop on a commuter train.  10 people cough and or breathing heavily.  Thst was a 10 minute journey.   

It makes you wonder doesnt it. About 5 if these didnt cover when coughing.

It is a worry because community spread is happening right now, you don't know where these passengers have been over the last week or who they have come into contact with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Joke or not Cheltenham will be a ticking time bomb if someone genuinely does have coronavirus, and they turn up.

Any tips he asks....

Well my tip would be to stay at home!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Anyone actual work on here during the day or is everyone, retired, self employed, skiving or something else?

Retired early, a month before my 55th bday. I aint worked for over 3 years. Love it!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Anyone actual work on here during the day or is everyone, retired, self employed, skiving or something else?

I work, I come into contact with saliva and mucus the whole day and we are out of mouth masks. I've already  made peace the fact that I will get corona and most like be fine a week later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
Just now, Snipper said:

I do work but the nature of my work means I can do it from home even though my contracts want me to attend their offices more and more. 

I believe that given the poor advice on the NHS website regarding what symptom's are relevant leads many with mild forms to think they are not infected. I have symptom's which could easily be covid 19 and as a result I took the decision a week ago to work from home and have as little person to person contact as possible and certainly no hand shaking etc. I have the occasional cough but always ensure I turn away and use a paper hanky if in the presence of others. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

I work, I come into contact with saliva and mucus the whole day and we are out of mouth masks. I've already  made peace the fact that I will get corona and most like be fine a week later

Football grounds man then?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Worth a note... not seen it  on here....

Liverpool Uni (centre for extreme tropical diseases) had a brief interview at the end of the BBC news last night.

It was stressing how quickly they could determine the structure of the virus  (minutes) and also it allowed them to see all bacteria present.

They were working on the virus,  and had found that the worst cases all had increased numbers of bacteria in their phlegm.

Now the question is did these bacteria appear as a result of their bodies not being to fight them off in the presence of the virus, and if so would it be useful to put them onto a course of antibacterial at the start  to give them an increased chance (length of time) in which to fight the virus off.

Interesting? The original assumption was that penicillin/antibiotic will not kill the virus, but maybe this would  explain why it is killing more elderly people  (as one assumes they may have accumulated more bacteria in their lungs during their lifetime).

Maybe a quick full course  of antibiotic could be suggested at the beginning  of the treatment for many elderly people?

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I'm on an accountancy training course, only 2 days a week though.  Can't work in retail anymore as I have recurring sciatica so I'm unable to stand up for very long, which means 'changing career path' to one where I'm not expected to stand up for hours on end and I like Math ❤️ 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, jonboy said:

I do work but the nature of my work means I can do it from home even though my contracts want me to attend their offices more and more. 

I believe that given the poor advice on the NHS website regarding what symptom's are relevant leads many with mild forms to think they are not infected. I have symptom's which could easily be covid 19 and as a result I took the decision a week ago to work from home and have as little person to person contact as possible and certainly no hand shaking etc. I have the occasional cough but always ensure I turn away and use a paper hanky if in the presence of others. 

What poor advice? How would you improve it?  Difficult giving advice.  You either say too much or too little. When there is a vast range what do you say?

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 2

Guest Delete Me
Just now, Ryukai said:

I'm on an accountancy training course, only 2 days a week though.  Can't work in retail anymore as I have recurring sciatica so I'm unable to stand up for very long, which means 'changing career path' to one where I'm not expected to stand up for hours on end and I like Math ❤️ 

All the best hope it works out

Posted
1 minute ago, Ryukai said:

Sciatica - very painful.  I can’t stand up properly but I blame the homemade beer. I jest!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Good luck  it's a bugger to get qualified     even if you like maths 

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

BREAKING:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces containment zone around New Rochelle, lasting until 3/25; National Guard to be deployed to assist in food delivery, cleaning.

"This is the single greatest public health challenge we have in the state right now." 

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

BREAKING:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo announces containment zone around New Rochelle, lasting until 3/25; National Guard to be deployed to assist in food delivery, cleaning.

"This is the single greatest public health challenge we have in the state right now." 

Finally an American starting to take this seriously...

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Donegal said:

A vaccine won't be ready for next Winter. It will take at least 12 months. 

1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

They're starting human trials on 24 people in London. Not many obviously but it's a start

Nb -my understanding is that the trials in London are not of a vaccine per se, but is research towards a vaccine.

Think the study is to infect volunteers with two corona-virus strains (neither of which are anything to do with Covid-19) and harvest sera to examine antibodies.

• Like 4