Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 minute ago, Essex Easterly said:

Was bad enough getting through that on PC, anyone on their phone may have ended up with RSI 

Unfortunately the sort of thing I don’t bother to read. Sorry

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

We want oil prices low so the cost od driving and public transport lowers.

This could escalate very quickly. Jobs lost in large numbers aint no substitute for a few pence off a litre of fuel.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Come to think of it, I did have something before Christmas; I spent the week in bed, and was very lazy - but it felt just like a very strong cold. 

The thing Mid-January took it out of me, but I was also on Nights.  Slept well though.    Did you guys have pain on yours sides as well?

Yes, i noted it in this thread. Pain in my right hand side, mainly the rib cage. Felt like I had been punched there or knocked it. Interestingly, the first patient in Germany reported a similar thing.

Like I say, I'm 98 percent certain it was the flu, but who knows.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I got the same thing wrt my anxiety meds. No way I'm stepping in a GP surgery at the moment. Will do without my meds.

This is worrying. I was about to get a new inhaler (I have an inhaler not because I have asthma or anything but years ago i got a nasty cold that gave me a chest infection and the doctor randomly allowed a repeat prescription for an inhaler which I've only had to have a squirt on a couple of times in the 7 years since).

Posted

Lost jobs due to the economic impact of the virus won’t necessarily come back quickly .

And you’ll get a domino effect in certain sectors . The budget tomorrow really should just forget tax cuts and freebies for the public .

Consumers who are avoiding going out and spending aren’t suddenly going to throw off anxiety about the virus because they’ve got a couple of extra quid to spend .

The budget should do everything possible to protect the viability of businesses who might have short term cash flow problems etc , loans backed by the government and delays to the payment of taxes etc.

• Like 3

Posted

Just to clarify about the 2 strains, it was only a suggestion based on the fact they saw the L strain in Wuhan. No comparison between the  2 strains has been performed so there is no evidence that one strain is more virulent than the other. It is almost impossible that this started before November outside of Wuhan.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

This could escalate very quickly. Jobs lost in large numbers aint no substitute for a few pence off a litre of fuel.

Just don't understand why in this country we celebrate basic human needs being highly priced, like house prices, you wouldn't be celebrating if tesco put up the cost of a joint of meat to 40 quid or bread to 5 quid, you would say its profiteering.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Unfortunately the sort of thing I don’t bother to read. Sorry

Same here lol, I just kept scrolling  

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
9 minutes ago, Snipper said:

So we might get 1p off a litre of petrol months down the line if other price drops are anything to go by. 

Actually pump prices are relatively well reflected if a price drop is sustained more than a few months. A simple search tells us that pump prices at about 1.42 in early 2012 and fell to just a little above 1.00 by early 2016.

This won't be permanent (part of the drop is related to the Corona hit which will pass and another part is the Saudi-Russia oil war - Russia broke from OPEC last week in refusing cuts) but for the rest of the year you should be quids in.

The Eurozone and Japan are going to get a nasty bout of deflation and recession from this though.

Posted
Just now, Essex Easterly said:

Same here lol, I just kept scrolling  

The presentation/formatting/length of a post is all important trying to get your point over. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Actually pump prices are relatively well reflected if a price drop is sustained more than a few months. A simple search tells us that pump prices at about 1.42 in early 2012 and fell to just a little above 1.00 by early 2016.

This won't be permanent (part of the drop is related to the Corona hit which will pass and another part is the Saudi-Russia oil war - Russia broke from OPEC last week in refusing cuts) but for the rest of the year you should be quids in.

The Eurozone and Japan are going to get a nasty bout of deflation and recession from this though.

Hopefully by the time I need to another tank of heating oil there will be good price

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Just to clarify about the 2 strains, it was only a suggestion based on the fact they saw the L strain in Wuhan. No comparison between the  2 strains has been performed so there is no evidence that one strain is more virulent than the other. It is almost impossible that this started before November outside of Wuhan.

I did read a virologist article somewhere, he thinks it started in Wuhan in October. I cant remember the source so feel free to disregard as i'm just a stranger on the internet. Might have been Vox?

If it did start in Wuhan in November, it's not impossible it was in London in low numbers at Christmas. It's unlikely, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Posted
52 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

With cases dropping in China and South Korea due to banning large crowds it's quite clear that COBRA need to ban large gatherings for the next few weeks.

Agreed!!

We need to drastic action NOW IMO.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Cakie said:

Lowest cases in China since crisis began - on BBC news now

The difference here is China brought an iron fist down, can countries in Europe, will countries in Europe do the same?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
5 hours ago, Donegal said:

This aged well

It's not surprising: his own siblings released a video urging people not to vote for him. 

As polarised as politics is in this country, I'm thankful that our own government and leaders are acting responsibly. A view from a former WHO pandemic comms officer across the pond:

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The difference here is China brought an iron fist down, can countries in Europe, will countries in Europe do the same?

Problem is because people in Liberal countries are not used to being told what to do, so there will be more resistance, Chinese are used to it so wont be such a big culture shock to them, if you are going to bring in draconian measures, its no good doing so without the threat of military style action if people don't comply.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Problem is because people in Liberal countries are not used to being told what to do, so there will be more resistance, Chinese are used to it so wont be such a big culture shock to them, if you are going to bring in draconian measures, its no good doing so without the threat of military style action if people don't comply.

China , Japan and South Korea will start banning flights from Europe .

Culturally they have much more deference to authority . So they will have the virus well under control whilst the situation in Europe deteriorates.

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Crikey  down 8%  for the FTSE      Correction 8.9%

Imagine if you'd shorted a few weeks ago, told my mates this would kick off big time, forgot to mention the potential implications for the Markets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yep. You also only need to see the number of people who ignored road closure signs during the floods to realise that a lot of people we co-exist with are brainless.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Imagine if you'd shorted a few weeks ago, told my mates this would kick off big time, forgot to mention the potential implications for the Markets.

I hope those who had their savings in an account earning damn all interest are a bit happier.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Yep. You also only need to see the number of people who ignored road closure signs during the floods to realise that a lot of people we co-exist with are brainless.

Happens up here with the snow warnings - have one on my profile picture, they ignore road closed signs because it looks ok but when the light flashes, it flashes for a reason, terrain dictates up here that you will just run straight into a 6 ft drift, doesn't really harm anyone but its pointless, you just wont get through!

• Like 1