Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

It's amazing that so many people on here are coming out now as experts on viruses and infection control and hence are so well placed to tell not only all 45 posters on this thread but our country and the whole world where we are going wrong.  Presumably the Chief Medical Officer will be checking in here and taking some of the wisdom into account when devising the strategy.   

Seems to me the options are (1) trust and respect the world-renowned UK experts and get on with life, making sensible adjustments or (2) spend every waking moment in an end of days panic and winding people up on social media.  

I wonder if other 'special interest' websites have this level of hysteria?  Or is it just something that appeals to weather nuts?  Maybe it's universal and on homebakers.com or allotment-diggers.co.uk there are people no longer posting about the size of their buns or what they get up to in their potting sheds but instead are going on about whether pubs have soap and if lethally strong alcohol (not in gel but necked) will kill the virus before it kills the drinker.

Funny old business.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

"Acted so slowly"? What would've been your plan of action?

Containment as soon as the cases emerged in Italy, travel should have been stopped and anyone with contact with that area self isolation, that would have massively delayed the spread and got us closer to the Spring. I don't think the action was taken simply due to money and the markets - But its going to turn out a foolish choice IMO. 

Posted

Maybe the UK is behind the curve at the mo, in terms of identified cases, but it must be worrying for France that it has a population size almost same as the UK, yet it's land mass in square metres is almost 3x that of the UK.

One would expect the infected numbers and deaths to be much larger in the UK than in France, due to closer proximity of people.

At the mo it seems we are either in 'lucky territory' or maybe we are doing many things right; the next week will be crucial one feels. Oh for the warm weather to Europe's South to migrate North over the next week.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted

Nobody really knows how good the UK government response has been till after the event .

Its a difficult line to tread. I think we can clearly see in other countries some pretty dismal action and it’s easy to call that out .

I think here in France some tough decisions will have to be made in the next few days.

The UK I think has a bit more time . And so far I don’t think can be accused of not taking the virus seriously . 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, emax said:

Screening for what exactly?

And no country with a good/large economy is going to shut the place down until there are large numbers/clusters. You may not like it, and I know plenty of people would liked to have seen the country completely shut down and cut off weeks ago, but that just isnt going to happen, not to any country with a large economy.

The point is people are entering the country no record of their health/movements. Italy is exporting a significant number of cases within Europe and globally... really it should be Italy stopping air travel in worst regions.

I am no expert @abruzzi spur but I think if you had some brain cells this is very reckless, the freedom of movement in Europe, maybe this is modern world...but this is not how you clamp this down. I don’t need to be an expert to know that. The economy is more important than peoples lives evidently.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Containment as soon as the cases emerged in Italy, travel should have been stopped and anyone with contact with that area self isolation, that would have massively delayed the spread and got us closer to the Spring. I don't think the action was taken simply due to money and the markets - But its going to turn out a foolish choice IMO. 

Hmm...so no flights to and from Italy. Europe's free movement would've meant people in Italy wander into Austria, France, Switzerland and hop on a plane to Blighty.

As for travel stopping completely, most Western economies are closely linked to each other and global these days. Stop the economy and businesses fail; people dont get paid, mortgages dont get paid, consumer spend falls dramatically, tax revenue reduces, 

The welfare state and NHS is starved of cash.

The poor suffer the most.

If you would rather that scenario plays out, then that is your choice.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
12 minutes ago, emax said:

This is my stand on it too.

Soooo many people just blame the government for anything. People need to take some responsibility. Yes, you can certainly blame governments for some things, but to blame them for all the deaths, ridiculous!

I have many issues with certain ways the government has addressed this, however their decision to get the chief officers in the NHS to lead this certainly was a good step. A lot of the problems so far have been due to the long incubation period this virus has and as such as soon as the cases blew up in number in China, it was already beyond the point of no return and subsequently we saw outbreaks elsewhere or varying scales.

However whilst mistakes have been made both here and in Europe/East Asia, I fear they will pale in comparison to what is probably going to happen in the US, the way the Trump administration has treated this so far has been abysmal or even criminal in magnitude. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

949 cases in France tonight at close of BFMTV live and 16 deaths.

I'm afraid doglet and I fell asleep on the sofa. Hes' now gone to bed and I will befollowing his example pretty soon!

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

This is the twitter for the reporter covering it.

https://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV

Scary quote from his twitter feed...

“We’ve learned that the virus is volatile, unpredictable.” Patients have gone from showing no symptoms to being rushed to the hospital in an hour #KOMONews

There's a lot of elderly people living on their own here: if it strikes that fast maybe not enough time to summon help with likely overstretched ambulance service. Really doesn't bear thinking about....

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The point is people are entering the country no record of their health/movements. Italy is exporting a significant number of cases within Europe and globally... really it should be Italy stopping air travel in worst regions.

I am no expert @abruzzi spur but I think if you had some brain cells this is very reckless, the freedom of movement in Europe, maybe this is modern world...but this is not how you clamp this down. I don’t need to be an expert to know that. The economy is more important than peoples lives evidently.

Brain cells?  Ha ha.  See you back on JPW Daniel.  

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Scary quote from his twitter feed...

There's a lot of elderly people living on their own here: if it strikes that fast maybe not enough time to summon help with likely overstretched ambulance service. Really doesn't bear thinking about....

Where are you exactly?

Posted

I think the Italian situation has taken many in Europe by surprise .

Who would have believed that could happen. 

In a sense the UK can see what sort of action countries close to that are taking , what’s working and what’s not working .

They can modify their response and so should really have a head start on this . Failing to learn from others mistakes however would deservedly be met with a lot of criticism.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

It's amazing that so many people on here are coming out now as experts on viruses and infection control and hence are so well placed to tell not only all 45 posters on this thread but our country and the whole world where we are going wrong.  Presumably the Chief Medical Officer will be checking in here and taking some of the wisdom into account when devising the strategy.   

Seems to me the options are (1) trust and respect the world-renowned UK experts and get on with life, making sensible adjustments or (2) spend every waking moment in an end of days panic and winding people up on social media.  

I wonder if other 'special interest' websites have this level of hysteria?  Or is it just something that appeals to weather nuts?  Maybe it's universal and on homebakers.com or allotment-diggers.co.uk there are people no longer posting about the size of their buns or what they get up to in their potting sheds but instead are going on about whether pubs have soap and if lethally strong alcohol (not in gel but necked) will kill the virus before it kills the drinker.

Funny old business.

Number one post of the last few weeks in this thread

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
26 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Funny old business.

:clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If the 'Wuhan Whistle blower Dr's 'R0's; are right then it's more 'spready' than 'measles' at R= 16.7?

I'm certainly 'erring' to Dr Wuhan as far as 'atomised spread' is concerned? (6ft....... due to the smaller size compared to the 'heavier' double helix Flu virus' 'safe distance' that W.H.O/our C.M.O.  are advising of 3ft?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I know this article was published a while ago, but this is just disgusting.

Imagine beating up and harassing Asian people just because of a virus that originated there.

This is 2020. Grow up. 

gettyimages-1133586898.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Because the coronavirus outbreak started in China, some misguided individuals are targeting Asians with discriminatory behavior or worse.

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t need to be an expert to know that. The economy is more important than peoples lives evidently.

Big problem here ... if the economy tanks ... a bad outcome for the livelihood of all the people. It's a very fine line to tread and I don't envy those who have to make decisions.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 2

Posted

I think this thread has been great .

Theres also been some lighthearted banter aswell as some good info and I think it’s generally worked well.

• Like 9

Posted

As for panicking I’m not really seeing much evidence of this? Maybe posts may come across as someone who is on edge but this is life and death we are talking about, personally I am very comfortable if COVID-19 wants to come for me, come on have a go! I am just concerned for those which are referred by many externally and internally as “only” and “other” the vulnerable and elderly, this demonstrates compassion. This thread is fine, I’ve seen much worse hysteria on Internet. Best place to discuss it which I’m aware of. I try to share facts, I’m just not very optimistic. Time will tell. Is anyone here advising the Gvt? No. We are just ordinary people sharing our thoughts...

• Like 6

Guest Delete Me

You have to explore the theory that as an island nation we are not going to see the explosion of cases that Italy, Germany, France and Spain are seeing. Being a landlocked mainland EU country you are are linked together in terms of business, movement of people, transport, economy etc far easier and greater than the UK is to EU countries. 

47 cases on Friday and 42 cases today, maybe its the weekend factor slowing case numbers down as I was expecting a jump to 60+ new cases today or just maybe the big body of water called the English Channel is allowing us to delay or even control the outbreak.

Only time will tell and the next few days are critical, If we still under 400 cases by Wednesday then I will consider this a success.

Posted

I,d trust this forum over social media any day....

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, beatpete said:

I,d trust this forum over social media any day....

This is a form of SM

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

This is a form of SM

Lol yes I suppose it is.....

• Like 1