Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

Yeah you are talking to a Mother. I know full well that hand washing doesn't stop everything! 

Next they will be telling us to duck and cover.

Posted
25 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Whilst she was in Sainsburys, Colette thought she would pick up some essential items, such as Toilet Paper, Hand Wash, and Paracetamol but as SPIKECOLLIE (amongst others) found in her local Lidl, she came across the "Goldilocks" scenario, the shelves were bare!! 

Hi Tom! It’s similar here in the Folkestone area. Yesterday Asda was out of paracetamol but Sainsbury’s was not. On Wednesday the large Sainsbury’s was out of ibuprofen and almost out of paracetamol. There were toilet rolls in all shops but a considerable dent in those and pasta!

Might be useful to note for some, if you’re after them, that Savers had plenty of paracetamol..

25 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

I have just taken the third tablet of the Course and had a reasonably, good Night.

A good nights sleep always helps a little doesn’t it? Hopefully you’re on the mend - we can have our favourite SE competition arranger out of commission

Not looking forward to working from home for the next few days/weeks. I imagine that in any breaks from work I’ll be on here and online in general keeping up with the news.

Hope everyone has a good (and healthy!) Saturday.

• Like 1

Posted

Some possible positive news out of France re a treatment .

Not a vaccine but more an anti viral . Researchers in Lyon are hoping to announce over the next few days that they’ve managed to modify an anti viral that currently exists that could be used against the corona virus .

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Some possible positive news out of France re a treatment .

Not a vaccine but more an anti viral . Researchers in Lyon are hoping to announce over the next few days that they’ve managed to modify an anti viral that currently exists that could be used against the corona virus .

Is that like an antibiotic  for viruses?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Is that like an antibiotic  for viruses?

A bit different. Anti virals normally are used to inhibit the development of the virus , they won’t kill it where as antibiotics general usage is to kill the bacteria .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
NINTCHDBPICT000568580420.jpg?strip=all&q
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

A SPANISH coronavirus patient has recovered after being treated with an HIV and multiple sclerosis drug. Miguel Angel Benitez, 62, made a full recovery at the...

This was in the Sun online paper a couple of days ago. I don't know if its truly hopeful.

• Like 3

Posted

Well, the 2nd guy to die here in UK, 80 years old had recently returned from a Carib cruise, visiting many islands. Yep, as i said the other day the whole Carib cruise travels of last few weeks are bound to yield more cases here and elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

A SPANISH coronavirus patient has recovered after being treated with an HIV and multiple sclerosis drug. Miguel Angel Benitez, 62, made a full recovery at the...

This was in the Sun online paper a couple of days ago. I don't know if its truly hopeful.

Only problem is its the sun!

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Well, the 2nd guy to die here in UK, 80 years old had recently returned from a Carib cruise, visiting many islands. Yep, as i said the other day the whole Carib cruise travels of last few weeks are bound to yield more cases here and elsewhere.

A case in Hawaii has been linked to a previous passenger from  the Grand Princess . And another in Utah to another cruise .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

A case in Hawaii has been linked to a previous passenger from  the Grand Princess . And another in Utah to another cruise .

I knew all along this would happen, its these people galavanting  round the world while this is going on that are making it worse.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Half a toilet roll is available from Eastbourne if anyone is in need.

£50 + 2.90 P&P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Half-a-Toilet-Roll/324093029521

I will do better than that - i have a full one for 25 quid and will deliver in person to anyone local so no P&P needed - cash only though.

• Like 4

Posted

There’s an excellent article in the Guardian .

Coronavirus : A disease that thrives on human error .

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

There’s an excellent article in the Guardian .

Coronavirus : A disease that thrives on human error .

Without even reading it, i totally agree, all these viruses like flu and Norovirus as well, they all do.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Without even reading it, i totally agree, all these viruses like flu and Norovirus as well, they all do.

It is an interesting read, and I can’t remember who it was, further up the thread, who thought it had been around in London for longer, something to do with the LSE, this might be the case.

re France’s response, se my previous  links to the Flu epidemic.  Highly likely C-19 wouldn’t have been detected in this scenario.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Half a toilet roll is available from Eastbourne if anyone is in need.

£50 + 2.90 P&P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Half-a-Toilet-Roll/324093029521

I've seen loads of post-apocalyptic films & series in my time...Clone Wars, AI Wars, The Pulse, Skynet, Climate Change, you name it. But, life after the Andrex Wars? What will they think of next!:shok:

• Like 7

Posted

If they can find an anti viral that works then this might reduce both the severity of the virus and duration and lower the fatality rate .

The best time to administer anti virals is within 48 hours of symptoms but they can also help people further along .

This could then of course reduce the stress on the NHS.  So this would be great news.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:
NINTCHDBPICT000568580420.jpg?strip=all&q
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

Would he have got better anyway?

Posted

Loo roll and paracetemol stocked up before opening this morning, in our local tesco express.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Anyone heard about the other 2 cruise ships being denied docking

Costa Fortuna and MSC Opera... Both are Italian.

Not seen any further mention this morning

MIA

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If they can find an anti viral that works then this might reduce both the severity of the virus and duration and lower the fatality rate .

The best time to administer anti virals is within 48 hours of symptoms but they can also help people further along .

This could then of course reduce the stress on the NHS.  So this would be great news.

Hopefully but sadly there have been several false alarms from different countries with regards to varying antibiotics  viral drugs and each time it has amounted to nothing. 

Sadly my gut is this will be the same...hope I'm wrong!

Posted

Something to do with the Sun.  See below. Be economic and use both sides. 

Got the idea from my grandmother who use to do this for the men’s toilet at the blacksmiths my grandfather had. Can’t imagine a similar set up now.  House adjoined the works where there were a couple of forges and all manner of industrial equipment.  Probably what has shortened my mother’s life. She is only 105 and still going. 

Remember staying with them and found it a paradise.  Was using the forges to make wrought iron things when I was under 10.  They had a large garden with pigs and chickens that I was delegated to feed.  Trees to climb, dens to make amongst others things. Even though I had a bath every night I still came home absolutely filthy.  The ingrained dirt took multiple baths to remove. 

Happy memories.

B9316EA7-D0FF-4748-BD1E-260AE02E548D.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
3603.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Yes, Covid-19 is serious, but context is key and the world is well placed to deal with it

• Like 1