Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That doesn’t fully explain that though the mortality rate is over twice that of Japan. Surely you would expect to see very similar? 

I was having a conversation with my mum about this.  Italy is very clean.  Maybe that's why they are suffering more?  The virus is hurting them more than say someone from the UK.

Guest Delete Me
Just now, Robbie Garrett said:

I was having a conversation with my mum about this.  Italy is very clean.  Maybe that's why they are suffering more?  The virus is hurting them more than say someone from the UK.

Italy's population are more at risk of catching / dying from a disease or condition compared to Japan.

20% of all deaths in Italy in 2017 were from Coronary Heart Disease

Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Could be because Italians love hugging and kissing, they are very intimate.

Thats actually a very good point. It could make all the difference.

Plus as far as I know, we dont know the age demographic of total cases in Japan vs Italy, which could also play a role? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Compared to Japan, Italy has a higher percentage of people with lung cancer, lung disease, heart disease, general cancers....and pretty much every other major disease / medical problem.

So, the underlying disease issue is prob a major factor in Italy, with COVID-19.

4 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Compared to Japan, Italy has a higher percentage of people with lung cancer, lung disease, heart disease, general cancers....and pretty much every other major disease / medical problem.

Out of non related interest, do you know how that compares to the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, emax said:

Thats actually a very good point. It could make all the difference.

Plus as far as I know, we dont know the age demographic of total cases in Japan vs Italy, which could also play a role? 

Mind you the UK is a knocking shop, this friday and saturday night could see the real explosion, obviously wont know until another 10 days or so.

1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Mind you the UK is a knocking shop, this friday and saturday night could see the real explosion, obviously wont know until another 10 days or so.

Again, very true. Although it would be mostly younger people

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Mind you the UK is a knocking shop, 

Interesting angle

Posted
Just now, emax said:

Again, very true. Although it would be mostly younger people

Not these days!

Guest Delete Me
2 minutes ago, emax said:

Out of non related interest, do you know how that compares to the UK?

Make of this what you will, probably means my idea of underlying conditions in japan/italy is wrong.

2017:

CORONARY HEART DISEASE

ITALY DEATHS - 20% OF TOTAL DEATHS
UK DEATHS - 16% OF TOTAL DEATHS

LUNG CANCER

ITALY DEATHS - 6% OF TOTAL DEATHS
UK DEATHS - 7% OF TOTAL DEATHS

LUNG DISEASE

ITALY DEATHS - 5% OF TOTAL DEATHS
UK DEATHS - 6% OF TOTAL DEATHS

INFLUENZA / PNEUMONIA

ITALY DEATHS - 2% OF TOTAL DEATHS
UK DEATHS - 6% OF TOTAL DEATHS

Guest Delete Me

The array of pre-existing conditions suffered by some victims, including cancer, diabetes and heart disease, has complicated efforts to assess the lethality of the virus.

Angelo Borrelli, the head of Italy’s Civil Protection Agency who is coordinating the country’s response to the crisis, said Tuesday that of the people who died, “Most were over 70, and some had pre-existing conditions.’’

Guest Delete Me
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

By heart disease do they mean something specific or everything heart related like rhythm problems etc

“All the deaths we’ve had are either very old people or very sick people,” he said.

3 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

“All the deaths we’ve had are either very old people or very sick people,” he said.

This is very telling. Obviously still not nice, but it wouldn't be fantasy to imagine that the common cold could of possibly killed off a fair few of these people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Did we learn anything from princess?

Some obviously didn't, if these people do not get medical help, who takes responsibility for negative consequences? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 hours ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Covid is aerosolized what the hell are they talking about!

Some passengers on the diamond princess who were kept in their cabins caught the virus due to aerosolized transmission via the ships air supply coming through vents in each room.

There have also been cases in Hubei of non contact transmission that were documented in interviews with patients who said they had not left their apartments.

WHO are playing a dangerous game and have been since day 1.

But it could have been spread by room service, what with all those stainless-steel trolleys, food containers and utensils...?

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday’s situation report.  Good source of non hyped info.

WWW.WHO.INT

Situation reports – Situation reports provide the latest updates on the novel coronavirus outbreak. These include updated numbers of infected people and location, and actions that WHO and...

Posted
15 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But it could have been spread by room service, what with all those stainless-steel trolleys, food containers and utensils...?

Cruise ships are a can of worms for the spread of diseases. In addition the hygiene regimes of the cruise lines is all important.  Fortunately the last couple we have been on the cleaning appeared very good.  Staff were always about cleaning hand rails, lifts and buttons etc.

I am not inclined to go on any cruise at the present time.

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Did we learn anything from princess?

Trump couldn’t care if the whole ship ends up becoming infected as long as the figures don’t get added to the USA total .

I yearn for the days of George Bush Junior ! 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Trump couldn’t care if the whole ship ends up becoming infected as long as the figures don’t get added to the USA total .

I yearn for the days of George Bush Junior ! 

They could always house them at Alcatraz, which isn’t occupied. Possibly better to put Bush there and forget him. Always find it quite surprising how many of the US’s politicians appear to be pretty old. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Had a very "interesting" Day, Yesterday.

My Wife set off for what she thought was going to be a 12 Hour shift, at a Care Home in Chislehurst (N.W.Kent).

After talking to a Colleague about my persistent Cough and increasingly "green stuff" (Sorry, if you're taking your Breakfast at the moment), being expelled by Yours Truly, decided to come Home, Toute de suite and contact my G.P.

As with all G.P. Practices at the moment, we were told under no circumstances to turn up at the Surgery but wait for a Doctor to Phone me for a Consultation. We booked this for 11 AM but the Practice has been inundated with enquiries about the Coronavirus, and one eventually rang me at 12.45.

After going through a checklist of symptoms with me, the G.P. was pretty satisfied that my symptoms were likely that of one of the many Cold Viruses, doing the "rounds" at the moment. Although he couldn't be 100% sure, he thought I was developing a slight chest infection, rather than COVID-19.

He then sent an electronic Prescription for Antibiotics to the Lloyds Pharmacy, in our local Sainsburys at Lee Green.

The Doctor commended me on my decision to "self isolate", since last Wedneday. He stated it was quite wise to stay away from crowded Supermarkets and Public Transport. But of course that's not possible for everybody. In a strange way, I'm fortunate at the moment, in as much as I don't need to venture out. I can only leave the House with my Wife, as I still suffer from balance issues, after suffering a Brain Haemorrhage/Stroke in September 2015. 

Poor Colette, feeling like c..p herself with similar symptoms, dragged herself down to Sainsburys for the Amoxicillin.

This could well be a Cold Virus that my Wife has brought home from Work. Evidently it's rife in the Care Home at the moment, with some of the Residents having Respiratory Infections, two of which had to be Hospitalised.

Along with that Christmas Box of a £5 Amazon Voucher, another "doubtful" perk, in my Wifes' job!!

Whilst she was in Sainsburys, Colette thought she would pick up some essential items, such as Toilet Paper, Hand Wash, and Paracetamol but as SPIKECOLLIE (amongst others) found in her local Lidl, she came across the "Goldilocks" scenario, the shelves were bare!! 

I have just taken the third tablet of the Course and had a reasonably, good Night.

I continue to get rid of the "green stuff." (Better out than in, as they say!!).

I'm hoping that in a few Day's time, I will start to feel the benefit of these Antibiotics.  

Hope you all stay safe and Virus free. 

Regards,

Tom.     :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Its noticable just how quiet Plymouth City Centre is this morning.

Even our busiest car park which would be heading towards full is nowhere near it. 

Equally, theres not many people out walking around either. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
11 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Think about going food shopping... thousands of products .... any one of which could be contaminated by someone just before you sneezing over the shelf/display rack. You pick up something and touch your face without thinking.... hand washing and sanitising are great but cannot protect you entirely.

Yeah you are talking to a Mother. I know full well that hand washing doesn't stop everything! 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hope you all stay safe and Virus free. 

Regards,

Tom.     :hi:

I imagine you are  looking like Fungus the Bogeyman.

• Like 1