Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Interesting response from government I have just read here. Pharmacies have been authorised to produce their own alcohol hand gels - all must sell for a pre-determined price of 3€ per 100 ml no matter where they are sold.

I wonder how you make it - apparently vodka doesn't work according to a BBC article I read earlier today as it needs at least 60% alcohol. Anyone got a recipe?

It doesn’t seem difficult to produce, takes as little as 5 minutes apparently!

Equipment / Tools

Bowl and spoon

Funnel

Bottle with pump dispenser

Materials

2/3 cup 99 percent rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol

1/3 cup aloe vera gel

8 to 10 drops essential oil, optional

WWW.THESPRUCE.COM

Here is an easy recipe to make homemade hand sanitizer. You control the ingredients, so you can make sure the sanitizer is safe and effective.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 minute ago, emax said:

You mean nearly all western countries cant control this like China did, not just the UK. But on the flip side, this virus wasnt caused by those western countries, so its swings and roundabouts! 

They can although in China people do what they told by authorities. Here it would need a bit of persuasion before the message got through. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, emax said:

Less than an hour ago you said hand washing is too late.....make ya mind up

Yes in the sense that that a few old people who don't go to the pub who are retired might just stop it but it ain't gonna stop it being a

4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Remember Kold that our Boris said they would increase class sizes if this happened. Just so the virus could spread more easily. This isn't a good idea really.

But bringing the country to a standstill, and the massive economic implications that causes,  because of a 1-4% death rate isn't a good idea either. Its a fine balance in reality.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Then that would also increase the likelyhood of teachers getting infected and a nice little feedback loop starts.

I'd personally still take a wait and see stance for the moment, certainly a chance that the real ramp up of cases coincide closely with the easter holidays anyway and the govt just try to limp it through to that point and review it after then.

The main question for me is can the NHS cope. It's unlikely. So the best way forward is closing things down just to delay it and hope that warmer weather makes it weaker. That still leaves next winter to think about.

Posted
2 minutes ago, emax said:

But bringing the country to a standstill, and the massive economic implications that causes,  because of a 1-4% death rate isn't a good idea either. Its a fine balance in reality.

See my reply to Kold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It doesn’t seem difficult to produce, takes as little as 5 minutes apparently!

Equipment / Tools

Bowl and spoon

Funnel

Bottle with pump dispenser

Materials

2/3 cup 99 percent rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol

1/3 cup aloe vera gel

8 to 10 drops essential oil, optional

WWW.THESPRUCE.COM

Here is an easy recipe to make homemade hand sanitizer. You control the ingredients, so you can make sure the sanitizer is safe and effective.

Got the ingredients, may need some more rubbing alcohol but a project for tomorrow. I make all sorts - will check the alcohol content and report back when made!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, emax said:

if the majority of the world is infected is a lot of dead people - that equals hundreds of thousands of september 11th's or millions of hillsborough disasters.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

I will trust the CMO and his data. I don't think it's a coincidence that the country that has tested the most people has almost exactly the mortality rate that is predicted by our CMO and his model. 

What is interesting is that the SK outcome is quite close to the 0.5% fatality rate that the 1968 Influenza outbreak had and led to an estimated 1 million deaths worldwide. I suspect once everything is done we may not be far short from that sort of figure, though if we get lucky summer will save us before it gets that bad as heat does seem to have some impact on it.

Emax, its such a hard call to make, I think we may have to go really draconian at some point in the near future, but the goal has to be to limit that period of time because there are real world consequences. China did it and it seems to have really limited things. 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
46 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Don’t give that excuse spike! South Korea have tested over 100,000 people, France “only” has 613 confirmed cases, you have the means too, they are concealing the truth just as it ramps up coincidence, I don’t think so. Likelihood it is many thousands if such measures are now being done. Out of control. 

the issue is this will be going largely undercover and unnoticed... france in some way has conceded defeat.

But if there is also the annual flu epidemic, then perhaps that is the only way they can test?

Posted

It’s all very well saying they won’t close schools but I can see teachers refusing to work as the risk of infection will be so high!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

if the majority of the world is infected is a lot of dead people - that equals hundreds of thousands of september 11th's or millions of hillsborough disasters.

Statistics baulk at the comparison of "apples and pears" so please don't do that. It's like comparing the frequency of road dearhs to those in air crashes...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think so far the UK government has straddled the line between complacency and panicking very well, and whilst there is a little bit of mixed messaging, overall I think its been quite well led by the experts (as opposed to the USA) and decisions seem to have been very well thought through.

I agree!

Whatever people's political bias, you can't deny that, compared with the rest of the world, the UK is up there with the nations that are handling it well (or at least fairly well). People will always complain their government isnt doing enough, and there is always room for improvement I admit, but compared to everyone else, we're being led fairly well, for now at least. 

If this virus is something that really concerns and worries you, then there aren't many countries you'd be better off in, if any in reality. Thats not to say everything will be hunky dory for everyone, but a bit of perspective wouldn't go a miss, as it could be a lot lot worse!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bobbarley said:

It’s all very well saying they won’t close schools but I can see teachers refusing to work as the risk of infection will be so high!

I am a teacher, what I've noticed is thus far there isn't too much worry about that, but if things were to escalate then I suspect some may start to think that way.

I'm personally not that concerned yet, but I'm in the low risk bracket.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bobbarley said:

I have been the biggest critic of teachers over the years but i wouldn't blame anyone who refuses to risk their life to work, excluding the military, police and fire services because in those jobs nothing is hidden, as much as they are valued, risk is involved in those jobs, that is in your contract, in teaching it isn't.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Interesting response from government I have just read here. Pharmacies have been authorised to produce their own alcohol hand gels - all must sell for a pre-determined price of 3€ per 100 ml no matter where they are sold.

I wonder how you make it - apparently vodka doesn't work according to a BBC article I read earlier today as it needs at least 60% alcohol. Anyone got a recipe? I've made soap...

Probably ethanol mixed with treated water, the type of water they mix with powdered meds. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, emax said:

You mean nearly all western countries cant control this like China did, not just the UK. But on the flip side, this virus wasnt caused by those western countries, so its swings and roundabouts! 

It wasn’t caused by China either. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It is not going to happen but hypothetical if entire earth’s human population got infected with 1% mortality rate that is 77 million people dead, if half of world’s population got infected which is much more feasible that is 35 million people. If 20% got infected that is still millions. And mention of worst case scenario being 60-80% - to me it looks as virulent as swine flu this was believed to have infected 20% - and that was estimated to take up to 500,000 lives, with a very low death rate 0.05%, I don’t think people recognise how many people this virus could kill even with only 1% mortality rate.

My greatest worry is with sub Saharan Africa it would ravage them, huge population growth in Africa too.. while we are understandably worried about Europe, the greatest concern is with developing nations.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Not gonna have this discussion again, but the meat practices in China caused it, so you can't blame anyone else. Of course there's the conspiracies of man made etc, which I'm open minded about, but take with a pinch of salt, but if the conspiracies were true, then the buck would still stop at China. I cant see how anyone can deny that China isn't to blame, either directly or indirectly. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I have been the biggest critic of teachers over the years but i wouldn't blame anyone who refuses to risk their life to work, excluding the military, police and fire services because in those jobs nothing is hidden, as much as they are valued, risk is involved in those jobs, that is in your contract, in teaching it isn't.

Teachers that's fine, then you have all other services affected too, child care etc, and before you know it you have total panic and a break down in society, that would be far worse than this virus.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It seems that Netweather's Friday night 'Wheel of Blame' is in full-swing tonight?:search:

• Like 4

Posted

No shortage of toilet rolls in this part of France although bizarely there wasn’t a single  whole chicken left  at the Intermarche .

Which ruined my plans for coronation chicken . I refuse to buy just pieces as they’re a rip off , you never get the same flavour and the breast dries out too much .

In other news from as you can see my exciting lifestyle I was given some strange looks for simply handwiping the shopping trolley handle .

Anyway it’s all going to hell in a hand cart here in France . Next time I’ll just head straight for the drinks section , did you know Scottish whisky is cheaper here in France than in the UK . Which I think is pretty outrageous !

By the way I think this thread is great , and I feel like we’re  the internet version of the Walking Dead survivors !

Shame that series is turning into another Lost though ! 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

It is not going to happen but hypothetical if entire earth’s human population got infected with 1% mortality rate that is 77 million people dead, if half of world’s population got infected which is much more feasible that is 35 million people. If 20% got infected that is still millions. And mention of worst case scenario being 60-80% - to me it looks as virulent as swine flu this was believed to have infected 20% - and that was estimated to take up to 500,000 lives, with a very low death rate 0.05%, I don’t think people recognise how many people this virus could kill even with only 1% mortality rate.

My greatest worry is with sub Saharan Africa it would ravage them, huge population growth in Africa too.. while we are understandably worried about Europe, the greatest concern is with developing nations.  

Will it make us think more about the horrific inequalities in our so called civilised world? Maybe it will take something much, much worse...

I despair just thinking about my fellow human beings who have no defence, protection or governance against this.

We are so fortunate in our so called developed societies to have relatively advanced medical and social care. Just think about living in a makeshift dwelling with no running water or sanitation and no medical facilities and getting ill. A daily reality that is about to get worse...

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Africa will be ok but only if we help them now, pro actively, not re-actively and their own governments help them as well.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

The fact that it is spreading, surely means people are still not following basic hygiene or advice?

Think about going food shopping... thousands of products .... any one of which could be contaminated by someone just before you sneezing over the shelf/display rack. You pick up something and touch your face without thinking.... hand washing and sanitising are great but cannot protect you entirely.

• Like 1