Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Two teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of attacking a student in London who was told: "We don't want your coronavirus in our country".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51771355

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This is a lovely gesture

HOWEVER

As a lover of takeaway food and someone who spends way too much on Indian and Chinese i'm concerned that a lot of these restaurants and takeaways are small, family owned businesses and will not follow the strict isolation procedure should they get sick - so I worry they may deliver the virus direct to people's door.

Depending on how this pans out, I may be knocking takeaways on the head soon. Probably good for my wallet and my health anyway.

We never have takeaways, true. My wife likes to know what we're eating, and so do I.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

We never have takeaways, true. My wife likes to know what we're eating, and so do I.

I don't have that level of self control haha. I love them a little too much. I'm having one tonight and one tomorrow night as a matter of fact!

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Sky News reporting a second person in the UK has died after testing positive for coronavirus

"A second person in the UK is believed to have died from coronavirus, according to reports. The man was understood to be in his late 80s, had underlying health conditions and died at Milton Keynes Hospital, the Milton Keynes Citizen reported.

Doctors are awaiting official test results to confirm if it was a case of COVID-19."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-second-person-in-uk-dies-from-infection-report-11950969

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Sir Patrick Vallance, a scientific govt adviser, (he is the guy who was on GMB this morn) just commented on ITV news that there probably needs to be some herd immunity to help fight the virus. A balancing act between still letting people mix and isolation. Interesting.

Any one else on here with medical expertise like to comment? Does his comments suggest they're a bit relaxed about loads of people getting it?

Herd immunity is what happens anyway as the virus runs out of hosts .

If the Coronavirus turns into a more seasonal thing which we see every year then herd immunity will play a bigger role.

• Like 3

Posted

Only in Australia....

1583471644055.jpg
WWW.STUFF.CO.NZ

They're in the midst of a coronavirus toilet paper crisis. But this is classic 'Straya.

• Like 5

Posted

Rapidly going downhill here in France . Now upto 577 cases . 150 new cases reported and that’s just the first update of the day .

In the Haut-Rhine  they went from 10 cases to 81 in 48 hours .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
28 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Two teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of attacking a student in London who was told: "We don't want your coronavirus in our country".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51771355

What is wrong with people these days. 

• Like 6

Guest Delete Me

20,175 negative

163 positive

2pm update - midlands and east of england with the fewest cases.

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Two members of British Airways staff have tested positive for coronavirus

Baggage handlers, apparently.

• Like 2

Posted

Cases by region

• East of England - 11
  • London - 29
  • Midlands - 12
  • North East and Yorkshire - 13
  • North West - 21
  • South East - 24
  • South West - 22

To be determined - 15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My local Tesco has run out of soap...What's wrong with these muppets!:wallbash:

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Not so sure?

The 'knocks for 6' stuff comes after the potential 14 'asymptomatic spread' days (and a possible further 7 days whilst symptoms worsen to the point the victim seeks medical aid?)

The whole bug bare with this virus is that 'asymptomatic spread'?

AFAIK many virus are already generating symptoms before the viral load is big enough for them to be actively 'shedding' it?

Hi GW, Asymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is likely to be an extreme occurrence compared to someone coughing and spluttering everywhere and then touching a handrail or the door button on a tube train.  That said, a strain with a mutation that helps facilitate asymptomatic transmission would, just like a mild strain, experience a competitive advantage over other strains.  It then comes down to a law of numbers and a mild symptomatic form should still prevail over other forms.  The ideal pathology for a respiratory virus is to be mild allowing a carrier to act as normal but causing lots mucus to aid transmission. Contagion by surface contact is more effective for a very good reason, it is a much better environment, compared to a fine aerosol, for a virus to survive things like sunlight, heat and aridity.

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Sir Patrick Vallance, a scientific govt adviser, (he is the guy who was on GMB this morn) just commented on ITV news that there probably needs to be some herd immunity to help fight the virus. A balancing act between still letting people mix and isolation. Interesting.

Any one else on here with medical expertise like to comment? Does his comments suggest they're a bit relaxed about loads of people getting it?

In the absence of a vaccine, it is the something that will slow it's spread other than potential seasonality.  The percentage of population required for herd immunity to be effective is determined by the pathogens basic reproduction number, i.e the average number of people a carrier then infects. Something not readily transmissible, that only infects one person at a time, will face difficulties the second immune people start appearing in the population.  Something stupidly contagious like measles only starts to have issues once 80% of the population are immune.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Just been chewing over this.

They clearly have models for a UK epidemic, which is why they are predicting a lag time from the first instances of sustained community transmission, a nine week peak containing a three week period where the NHS will be under severe pressure. They are also clearly keen that at risk groups isolate themselves during the peak phase.  If you are being cynical, you could view this as they possibly want an epidemic in the young and fit to create a herd immunity in absence of a vaccine? I would question if any government would be so cynical, but if they have modeled other scenarios, probably including economic impacts, and they prove really bad, then just maybe?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
41 minutes ago, swebby said:

Hi GW, Asymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is likely to be an extreme occurrence compared to someone coughing and spluttering everywhere and then touching a handrail or the door button on a tube train.  That said, a strain with a mutation that helps facilitate asymptomatic transmission would, just like a mild strain, experience a competitive advantage over other strains.  It then comes down to a law of numbers and a mild symptomatic form should still prevail over other forms.  The ideal pathology for a respiratory virus is to be mild allowing a carrier to act as normal but causing lots mucus to aid transmission. Contagion by surface contact is more effective for a very good reason, it is a much better environment, compared to a fine aerosol, for a virus to survive things like sunlight, heat and aridity.

I'm sorry but it also infects our fecal matter and so the 'transfer' is not just reliant on someone coughing/sneezing on their hands and then 'transferring' it to a surface?

If you've ever been on a ward when Norovirus has broken out you'll know just how quickly such transfer travels around the community?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted

Early on in this thread somebody posted this which I saved.

We are wayyyy ahead of schedule. Alarming really.

By the 8th March it predicted 40,663 cumulative infections and 1,220 deaths from the disease. We are on over 100k and nearly 4k deaths 2 days sooner.

We are well on course to hit 7.7 billion cases by 20th September and if the WHO mortality rate of 3 percent holds true, 231 million deaths.

wuh.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
48 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

My local Tesco has run out of soap...What's wrong with these muppets!:wallbash:

Ahem! I dropped into to my local Lidl just an hour ago on my way back from work to pick up a few bits and bobs for the weekend and next week, including - toilet paper - guess what, no flippin' toilet paper. I went across to SuperU guess what, no fliipin' toilet paper. Hardly any soap and certainly no hand gels. I have one more call to make in a few minutes to a woman in the village so I'll drop into the local shop and see if they have any toilet paper. I have twelve rolls left and I'll go back to Lidl on Monday and buy kitchen roll, which they had lots of, in the event of there being no toilet paper again.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Early on in this thread somebody posted this which I saved.

We are wayyyy ahead of schedule. Alarming really.

By the 8th March it predicted 40,663 cumulative infections and 1,220 deaths from the disease. We are on over 100k and nearly 4k deaths 2 days sooner.

We are well on course to hit 7.7 billion cases by 20th September and if the WHO mortality rate of 3 percent holds true, 231 million deaths.

wuh.png

Something fishy about one of those columns headings. 

All this time I thought it was a respiratory disease.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Astral Goat Juice said:

Something fishy about one of those columns headings. 

All this time I thought it was a respiratory disease.

hahaha my friend pointed that out - I'm genuinely surprised I didn't "catch" it sooner if you'll pardon the pun.

• Like 2