Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
17 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Population of UK 2018 66.4m

Icu/critical care beds UK (2017) 5,912 - often running at 80% capacity, often not enough nurses to run at full capacity. 

If a mere 2% of uk population 1,328000 contracted COVID-19 at same time

And if 1% 13,280 of those required Icu treatment it's over double the capacity. 

Speculative I know but Sobering. 

Yes, and when you factor in the need for Covid-19 cases to be isolated, it further decreases the availability. To maximise capacity, I would think they need to start clearing some hospitals for use as designated infection only units.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted

The situation in Italy becomes more horrific with each passing day .

Really awful to see such a huge loss of life there .

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, snefnug said:

So self isolating for either covid19 or flu will skew figures?  If the majority of cases are mild, then they won’t get reported and what does get reported/tested will be less mild cases?  Also, given the UK numbers, no deaths?  Not being suspicious but % wise doesn’t seem to fit the profile. I’m probably totally wrong on that though.

Good quality medical care seems to play an important role in good outcome. CFR for Wuhan where the hospitals were swamped was above 5%, the rest of china where case load was manageable, just 0.7%.  Plus many of the UK cases were travellers, so more likely to be in reasonable health. The heavily at risk groups probably less likely to be flying to and from china or skiing in the Italian Alps

PS - get well soon, and if you have any doubts about what you have, do phone the NHS 111 service.

Edited by swebby
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: The Royal Berkshire NHS Trust has said one patient with underlying health conditions has died after testing positive for coronavirus. 

Sobering news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
26 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

My first thought there would be to announce a short delay to give time to set up an all-postal election. Plenty of places have done that, I think including the UK at one point some years back. There may be some constitutional reason that's not allowed, though.

On another note... anecdotally, the messages about hand-washing seem to be getting through to at least some extent. I used a supermarket gents today and had to wait for one of the two basins while both guys in front washed their hands thoroughly, the approved way.

Were they singing the same or different songs?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I've had that same stomach thing last week, seems to be gone now, lasted a while week though, again no vomit or or wet stools, I also suffer from constipation through my ms. I haven't got a chough but I do have a small rattle at times when I breath, very occasionally. I do hope it isn't coronavirus as I was in hospital yesterday day surgery, no fever of anything wrong in the pre opp tests. 

Hi Alexis,

Yes, my stomach pain lasted about a Week too and Colette has experienced the same thing.

I've not had a "rattle" as such but as Colette will confirm, for a while my airwaves seemed to be playing a very mournful Stradivarius, at Night.

This turned into a more up tempo Jazzy Violin, akin to Stephane Grappelli (French/Italian Jazz Violinist). But last Night my airwaves had stopped the Violin Recitals and we had the best sleep, for quite a few Nights.

Because of worries about raised blood pressure, I don't take any strong, over the counter, Cough Linctus.

What works for me is a combination of hot Lemon/Lime and Honey.

Appetite wise, I tend to employ the old adage of, "Feed a Cold and starve a Fever."

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Of the 148 deaths in Italy 98 are in the Lombardy region.

Its the equivalent of Eastbourne isn't it for age demographic?  Its also the region with the most migrants I believe.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
9 minutes ago, swebby said:

PS - get well soon, and if you have any doubts about what you have, do phone the NHS 111 service.

Feel a bit fraudsy actually, symptoms come and go, sometimes weak then strong and temperature normal.  Most of my clients are elderly (in their 80s) or in recovery/remission following cancer, and two doctors so last thing I want to be Is a transmitter of anything.  Haven’t been bedridden by cold/flu for at least 3 years, so hopefully immunity strong.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Beanz said:

Its the equivalent of Eastbourne isn't it for age demographic?  Its also the region with the most migrants I believe.  

Italy as a whole has the 2nd highest population of elderly people in the world after Japan. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not good ... in a Madrid nursing home. Hope for a better outcome than the one in Washington state.

Ten residents and a nurse's aide at the La Paz Nursing Home in Madrid have tested positive for the coronavirus, as confirmed by the management of the Madrid Social Assistance Agency (AMAS), which has 37 centers like this.

The ten affected inmates belong to “a particularly vulnerable group,” according to AMAS.

This contagion has been known hours after the Ministry of Health reported that the official number of cases of this disease in Spain is 237.

Últimas noticias del coronavirus, en directo | Madrid informa de 11 contagios en una residencia de ancianos | Sociedad | EL PAÍS

https://elpais.com

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Reading that article on the daily mail again from the chap who reckons he had it in Wuhan, i scrolled down to the comments.

Dozens and dozens of people claiming they had a respiratory illness in November/December like nothing they've ever had before.

Yes, as I said it was rife. 

I am wondering whether one of the strains has already done the rounds and what we are seeing issues with is a mutated version of a virus that was already out and about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Appetite wise, I tend to employ the old adage of, "Feed a Cold and starve a Fever."

You should never starve your body when you are ill -  a) when you have a high temperature your body needs extra calories to maintain that temperature to fight the infection - that's what fever is for; b) you need the macro and micro-nutrients in food to sustain your immune systems and other systems vital in fighting the illness; c) you'll feel weaker, sicker and psychologically less strong if you don't have food.

The kind of food is the key. Broths, soups and other mushies in small quantities are best that you can swallow easily. Lots of fluids to counteract the fluid loss from sweating and if you fancy some confort foods like chocolate or cake (probably means you're getting better) then go ahead. Rehydration drinks are good when you have "the trots".

(Personal knowledge backed up by 

webmd-logo-fb.jpg
WWW.WEBMD.COM

Do you starve a cold and feed a fever? Or is it the other way around? Learn the facts about eating well when you have a cold to speed your recovery.

)

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, as I said it was rife. 

I am wondering whether one of the strains has already done the rounds and what we are seeing issues with is a mutated version of a virus that was already out and about.

It is very interesting what some posters have said about having very similar symptoms in the autumn.  Would be really good if they could be tested. Then we would know what the correct situation is.  Problem is there seems to be little chance of it happening. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

You should never starve your body when you are ill -  a) when you have a high temperature your body needs extra calories to maintain that temperature to fight the infection - that's what fever is for; b) you need the macro and micro-nutrients in food to sustain your immune systems and other systems vital in fighting the illness; c) you'll feel weaker, sicker and psychologically less strong if you don't have food.

The kind of food is the key. Broths, soups and other mushies in small quantities are best that you can swallow easily. Lots of fluids to counteract the fluid loss from sweating and if you fancy some confort foods like chocolate or cake (probably means you're getting better) then go ahead. Rehydration drinks are good when you have "the trots".

(Personal knowledge backed up by 

webmd-logo-fb.jpg
WWW.WEBMD.COM

Do you starve a cold and feed a fever? Or is it the other way around? Learn the facts about eating well when you have a cold to speed your recovery.

)

Think on many occasions your body tells you what is needed. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

It is very interesting what some posters have said about having very similar symptoms in the autumn.  Would be really good if they could be tested. Then we would know what the correct situation is.  Problem is there seems to be little chance of it happening. 

Yes I would love to be tested, the curiosity is eating at me haha.

I wouldn’t even know how to go about it though or who to ask and I doubt any doctor would be interested or care tbh.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Well I know what I had back in December seemed a lot different to any other upper respiratory tract infection I've ever had. The giveaway was the dry cough sourced deep in the lungs. Like I say, it was making me heave.

I even mentioned to my father how unusual it was and he told me to keep an eye on it as it's those coughs that can progress to pneumonia.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Spikecollie/Snipper,

When I say "Starve", it's probably more to do with the fact that when I've had a high Fever with Flu, I feel sick and can't "stomach" the thought of food.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

They would have discovered it if it had. And the numbers needing ICU would have been through the roof. Look at the way wuhan was overrun when this started. Whatever people had in October in Europe etc wasn't this. Plenty of viruses that be in circulation every year cause a dry cough. There's over 200 different types of viruses that cause common cold for example. 

Well that's what I'm saying, perhaps given what we've heard about there being 2 strains, one is a mutated strain and is causing all the issues that we see now.

If the original strain was mild, it wouldn't have been 'discovered' at the time as there would have been no cause for concern.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well I know what I had back in December seemed a lot different to any other upper respiratory tract infection I've ever had. The giveaway was the dry cough sourced deep in the lungs. Like I say, it was making me heave.

I even mentioned to my father how unusual it was and he told me to keep an eye on it as it's those coughs that can progress to pneumonia.

Same. 

I’ve had some bad colds in my time and even one that led to bronchitis years back which came with so much mucus it was almost hilarious - that was probably the heaviest cold I’ve ever had

but this thing in December was absolutely nothing like it and like nothing I’ve ever had before. I was doubled over wheeze-coughing and unable to bring anything up at all. There was no mucus involved at any point anywhere. My nose was absolutely fine (I did get crushing pain behind the eyes though) 

• Like 2