Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

As our own C.M.O. makes plain we will not 'escape' infection merely 'slow' infection?

It is a 'Novel' virus.

Only when we have an inoculation against it will we possibly be safe from infection around it (as safe as we are around 'flu' when we're flu jabbed?) but that appear a long way off?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Maybe closing borders and going in to lock down sometimes isn’t always the worst thing to do !!

Posted
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

Terrible timing with the February break. Lots going to Italy during it unaware it was rampant there. Perfect storm.

Yes the worst possible timing and then allied to the explosion of cases in northern Italy.

It couldn’t have been any worse .

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Terrible timing with the February break. Lots going to Italy during it unaware it was rampant there. Perfect storm.

Same in China, escalating to coincide with the mass travel for Lunar New Year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Been lurking here, mostly looking at the weather

Apparently Italian epidemic is directly related to a patient zero in Munich, an outbreak that wasn’t controlled

the science here is astonishing frankly

screenshot-2020-03-04-14.08.25.png?cx=0&
WWW.TECHNOLOGYREVIEW.COM

Genetic data shows that countries are getting hit with multiple introductions of the virus.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Daily Mail's tommorow's frontpage:

image.thumb.png.95df10d716077833157d94ffa353574b.png

Posted
1 minute ago, pip22 said:

Utterly ridiculous headline . The DM really needs to be used for cat litter! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Sod that dirty scaremongering piece of sxit excuse of a paper 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

My local hospital, also one of four major trauma centres in the south of England has two confirm positive. What is absolutely wrong with people, why would you go to a hospital with symptoms of Covid 19 or if you have travelled from that location?

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-04/two-patients-at-london-s-king-s-college-hospital-test-positive-for-coronavirus-covid-19/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

I thought the latest Bond film was called No Time To Die? Maybe they've renamed it The Point Of No Return because he's got the Coronavirus in a new plot twist? 

• Like 1

Posted

The expat from Wales, Conor Reed, who caught CV in late November has an exclusive account, in tomorrow's Daily Mail  of his fight against the disease.

What it's REALLY like to catch coronavirus: First British victim, 25, describes how 'worst disease he ever had' left him sweating, shivering, and struggling to breath as his eyes burned and bones ached 

- I cant get a link to work, so just google it.

His account is very scary. He is only in his mid-20s.

And interesting reading some comments on this story on Mailonline. A NHS nurse in "comments" recks she's been treating cases like his account since last Sept - really??!!

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

The expat from Wales, Conor Reed, who caught CV in late November has an exclusive account, in tomorrow's Daily Mail  of his fight against the disease.

What it's REALLY like to catch coronavirus: First British victim, 25, describes how 'worst disease he ever had' left him sweating, shivering, and struggling to breath as his eyes burned and bones ached 

- I cant get a link to work, so just google it.

His account is very scary. He is only in his mid-20s.

And interesting reading some comments on this story on Mailonline. A nurse in comments recks she's been treating cases like his account since last Sept - really??!!

That seems to contradict an article from earlier in the month however:

WWW.NORTHWALESPIONEER.CO.UK

A 25-YEAR-old from Llandudno who discovered he had coronavirus initially thought he had the flu.

"Connor, whose parents Hayley and Rod moved from Llandudno to Australia about 10 years ago, was ill for about two weeks.

He has since made a full recovery.

Connor, who is in quarantine, added: "It is not as serious as how it has been reported.""

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

A 25-YEAR-old from Llandudno who discovered he had coronavirus initially thought he had the flu.

"Connor, whose parents Hayley and Rod moved from Llandudno to Australia about 10 years ago, was ill for about two weeks.

Connor, who is in quarantine, added: "It is not as serious as how it has been reported.""

Maybe it affected his memory

• Like 4

Posted

Just finished watching Peston - he kept referring to COVID-19 as "that blimmin' virus" - brilliant!

Edited by Bristle boy

21 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

You can bet your life savings his account has been "pepped up", either by him, or the mail.

"left him sweating, shivering, and struggling to breath as his eyes burned and bones ached"......this could easily be said about any normal flu, for those who exaggerate. Obviously it could be true, and it might well of been very bad, but judging by the Mail's writing style, and the fact its the Mail, he probably just had a slight cough. Not that I really trust any news outlet to not "pep" things up, I'd believe it more if it came from a better source.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
12 hours ago, swebby said:

That actually sounds a lot like influenza, especially the 3-4 hrs from first symptoms to being an utter mess, but the reasonably quick recovery suggests either something else, or that you are an extremely healthy individual.  NB - Influenza does not tend to cause the very sore throat or the nasal waterworks that people experience with common colds. 

What did your partner think it was? Being a nurse she would probably be well trained to spot the difference between flu and heavy colds.

There was a bug doing the rounds globally around Christmas that was being described as a flu like illness. It did for the England cricket team in South Africa, and also the Kiwi cricket team touring Australia. Also struck down a number of the south African players by the end of the series.

will not shake hands during the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka because of the coronavirus outbreak.

16 hours ago, Azazel said:

I would love to get tested out of curiosity to see if I had it or not via the presence of antibodies.

15 hours ago, Azazel said:

No I haven't - it's more curiosity than anything. I don't want to take away medical resources from those in need. Definitely wasn't a cold though, I would put my mortgage on it - it was nothing like a cold in-fact.

If they do want people to test though I would be more than happy.  

8 hours ago, nick sussex said:

I think the UK government has done quite well so far but I’m not sure about this new policy of not disclosing locations .

Some might argue that by giving locations you can make people complacent in areas which haven’t had confirmed cases . 

On the other hand you need to keep the public onside and really need to be as transparent as possible .

Personally I like to know where cases are popping up , and especially if there are areas with a cluster of cases .

There are four regions of France at the moment which have the vast majority of cases and I won’t be going there anytime soon! 

My symptoms were, a dry cough, aches in the body, fever, pain above the nose. But zero phlegm.   

This website traces back a strain being located in the UK (Respiratory Virus Unit, Microbiology Services Colindale, Public Health England) between the 13th and 23rd of January 2020.   I just looked at my Medical Records, went to doctors on 15th January. Was told I have a viral infection on that date.

"This phylogeny shows evolutionary relationships of HCoV-19 viruses from the ongoing novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. All samples are still closely related with few mutations relative to a common ancestor, suggesting a shared common ancestor some time in Nov-Dec 2019. This indicates an initial human infection in Nov-Dec 2019 followed by sustained human-to-human transmission leading to sampled infections."

NEXTSTRAIN.ORG

Having looked at this, I am more convinced. 

image.thumb.png.8674576bda668f45f3764272b90ddeb6.png

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, pip22 said:

Would that be the same aggressive strain that was in China and is said to have become less  common since mid January?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Robbie Garrett said:

My symptoms were, a dry cough, aches in the body, fever, pain above the nose. But zero phlegm.   

This website traces back a strain being located in the UK (Respiratory Virus Unit, Microbiology Services Colindale, Public Health England) between the 13th and 23rd of January 2020.   I just looked at my Medical Records, went to doctors on 15th January. Was told I have a viral infection on that date.

"This phylogeny shows evolutionary relationships of HCoV-19 viruses from the ongoing novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. All samples are still closely related with few mutations relative to a common ancestor, suggesting a shared common ancestor some time in Nov-Dec 2019. This indicates an initial human infection in Nov-Dec 2019 followed by sustained human-to-human transmission leading to sampled infections."

NEXTSTRAIN.ORG

Having looked at this, I am more convinced. 

image.thumb.png.8674576bda668f45f3764272b90ddeb6.png

I don't know, as I said last night I suffered from a similar thing to what you describe just before New Year. Horrid dry cough with little phlegm and struggling to breathe properly. Not like any cold I've had before. I think it just must have been a random virus.

Seemed to be rife in the area around December/January

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't know, as I said last night I suffered from a similar thing to what you describe just before New Year. Horrid dry cough with little phlegm and struggling to breathe properly. Not like any cold I've had before. I think it just must have been a random virus.

I had a similar thing Crewe - except unlike yourself I had terrible phlegm that lasted for a month. Started for me on Christmas Eve. Fever & sore throat for a couple of days then it went into persistent phlegm & cough from day 3 which was diagnosed as croup (very rare in adults in my age bracket of almost 70). My family that have been in close contact with me did not get any of my symptoms so I doubt it was the highly infectious Coronavirus. I reckon it was just a bad bug that I had the misfortune to catch that my family did not.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I had a similar thing Crewe - except unlike yourself I had terrible phlegm that lasted for a month. Started for me on Christmas Eve. Fever & sore throat for a couple of days then it went into persistent phlegm & cough from day 3 which was diagnosed as croup (very rare in adults in my age bracket of almost 70). My family that have been in close contact with me did not get any of my symptoms so I doubt it was the highly infectious Coronavirus. I reckon it was just a bad bug that I had the misfortune to catch that my family did not.

Yeah.

Well I wished mine was productive at the time. I remember getting into work one day, tears streaming down my face and gagging because I couldn't cough anything up. Was very unpleasant for a fair few days so can only imagine what coronavirus must be like

On my department, me and my manager plus a couple of other people had it.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It is strange though. Similar thing for me, my parents, several of my family, and god knows how many friends I know, all at or just before Christmas. Ending with a persistent cough that lasted for weeks on and off.

Now its very likely not this virus (would be nice if it was, everything could go back to normal then), but I even said at the time I've never known so many people to have a similar flu type within such a short space of time. And at least half the people I know who had it, didnt catch it from our "group", so it was already out there. Now dont get me wrong, there's plenty of cold and flu viruses that go around every year, it was just very odd that everyone got it at a similar time. Plus it seems there's plenty on here who've had it too. Definitely interesting, but probably just a very normal and popular flu bug doing the rounds, we shall see!

• Like 1