Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

There is a school in South Ockendon that has been closed because of the coronavirus:

https://www.yourthurrock.com/2020/03/03/south-ockendon-school-closed-family-member-shows-symptoms-coronavirus/

Edited by Katrine Basso
Duplicate web addresses

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
2 minutes ago, emax said:

But they aren't hiding locations, they're just giving a roundup at the end of the week, rather than updating once or twice a day. If a town has a confirmed case, unless that person doesnt go out much, then you'll never trace every contact, its just not possible. As I say, people who are that concerned about going outside their house, shouldn't be going out whether theres confirmed cases or not, as at this stage, with cases jumping so quickly, it makes no difference whatsoever. Cases are 2 days old at least anyway, plus however long they where shedding it for, so waiting a couple more days makes no odds, if it means resources can be directed into something more useful.

I do understand and accept your take on this but I think we should be informed more frequently of locations, just my own preference I guess.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

I do understand and accept your take on this but I think we should be informed more frequently of locations, just my own preference I guess.  

Will you act differently when You know it's in your area may I ask?

Wouldn't that be a tad late if it could have been spreading up to two weeks beforehand?

Why not 'pretend' it's all around you now and get a jump on the little blighter?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, emax said:

But they aren't hiding locations, they're just giving a roundup at the end of the week, rather than updating once or twice a day. If a town has a confirmed case, unless that person doesnt go out much, then you'll never trace every contact, its just not possible. As I say, people who are that concerned about going outside their house, shouldn't be going out whether theres confirmed cases or not, as at this stage, with cases jumping so quickly, it makes no difference whatsoever. Cases are 2 days old at least anyway, plus however long they where shedding it for, so waiting a couple more days makes no odds, if it means resources can be directed into something more useful.

I still go out and don’t intend to barricade myself in however I like to feel I’ve done everything reasonably possible to avoid catching the virus .

That means making my own decisions as to where I might venture and that to a degree is effected by where cases appear .

I understand your points re the data often being a bit old. I understand some people who work in certain areas don’t have the luxury to pick and choose .

For example let’s say a large cluster suddenly appeared in a location and you didn’t know for a week how many people who then ventured into that area but could have avoided doing so will feel angry that they weren’t given that information .

Aswell as that it stands to reason that an area of high cases is likely to both had more community transmission.

So passing through you will have a higher chance of catching it and then taking it back to your home location.

If it’s about slowing the spread then that seems self defeating . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Re face-touching, I saw something useful on Twitter. (I know, these really are the End Times!) It was from an immunosuppressed person who's always had to be careful about that, and she pointed out that putting a little moisturiser on straight after washing should cut down on the irritating little facial itches that prompt you to scratch your face. It works.

Though I will say I'm pretty concerned about when hay fever season starts later in the spring. Loads of people sneezing all over the place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I still go out and don’t intend to barricade myself in however I like to feel I’ve done everything reasonably possible to avoid catching the virus .

That means making my own decisions as to where I might venture and that to a degree is effected by where cases appear .

I understand your points re the data often being a bit old. I understand some people who work in certain areas don’t have the luxury to pick and choose .

For example let’s say a large cluster suddenly appeared in a location and you didn’t know for a week how many people who then ventured into that area but could have avoided doing so will feel angry that they weren’t given that information .

Aswell as that it stands to reason that an area of high cases is likely to both had more community transmission.

So passing through you will have a higher chance of catching it and then taking it back to your home location.

If it’s about slowing the spread then that seems self defeating . 

This is the only point I agree that constant updates are necessary. I however would like to think (maybe I have too much faith) that if a large cluster broke out, then the government would say so, rather than wait a week to make it public. And to be honest, if a large cluster suddenly broke out, I doubt they'd be able to keep it quiet anyway, what with social media etc

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, emax said:

This is the only point I agree that constant updates are necessary. I however would like to think (maybe I have too much faith) that if a large cluster broke out, then the government would say so, rather than wait a week to make it public. And to be honest, if a large cluster suddenly broke out, I doubt they'd be able to keep it quiet anyway, what with social media etc

I think if they say that’s what they’re going to do then that would be a decent middle ground solution .

Weekly updates but earlier updates if there’s a sudden increase in one location.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, hammerb32 said:

I do take your point but on the flip side there's a comfort being on the doorstep of world class medical facilities that you find in our major cities.

There is that but when ICU is overrun and there are no beds as we are seeing in Italy which is troubling, more lives which otherwise not be threatened are being lost.

If you’re a hermit crab living rurally you’ll be just fine! 

Posted
28 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Will you act differently when You know it's in your area may I ask?

Wouldn't that be a tad late if it could have been spreading up to two weeks beforehand?

Why not 'pretend' it's all around you now and get a jump on the little blighter?

Yes, I can see that entirely, however, mum is resisting my attempts to curtail her, lol.    I’ve taken her out this afternoon to the garden centre - I have no idea whether anyone we came into contact with has this or another virus.  However, because there are no actual reported cases around these parts I was comfortable enough being out and I had no basis for being over protective of her and not supporting her in what she wanted to do.  If I know the virus has arrived locally I can (with difficulty I assure you ) insist she stays in the house.  For me personally I would like to know if it is local as I can make decisions for me where I go as I will need to go out at times (vet visits etc).  I need to try and stay clear of any virus for that matter if at all possible as mum depends on me for an awful lot of stuff and who would look after 6 of my own cats and 2 foster cats lord only knows ..... I can keel over as long as someone sees to the cats !!  

• Like 2

Posted

More cases in France now linked to a religious festival in the Alsace region .

Overall the number of French cases is now up to 257 .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Release date for The latest James Bond production 'No Time To Die' has been delayed to November following the coronavirus outbreak.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The situation in Italy is absolutely awful .

A further 27 people died today from the virus .

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

The situation in Italy is absolutely awful .

A further 27 people died today from the virus .

Unfortunately Italy has the 2nd highest population of elderly after Japan.

If the estimates of 50,000 to 100,000 are close to the mark the situation in Italy could be a long way from its natural peak.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak2m

Italian education minister says schools and universities will close in Italy from tomorrow until March 15 due to covid-19

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

I agree. It is responsible, on a personal (older person) and community level, to avoid cluster areas. And I don't think publishing locations is onerous for officialdom, after all they will be in possession of that information anyway. Credible transparency reduces concerns. 

Again, on a personal level, I have postponed making holiday arrangements until I assess travel risks - which btw won't depend on NW opinions regarding concerns.

On two picky notes, the omnipresent official advice on hand washing has not emphasised the importance of washing under rings and wrist-watches, and also what do you do with a tissue if you cough/sneeze into a tissue  in a supermarket, public transport, theatre etc.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted

Israel dramatically widens coronavirus rules, adds EU nations to quarantine list

All Israelis returning from France, Germany, Spain, Austria and Switzerland were instructed to enter self-quarantine for a period of 14 days after their last day in those countries, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced at a Health Ministry press conference alongside Health Minister Yaakov Litzman and other top officials.

The decision applied retroactively to all who have come from those nations in the last 14 days.

Foreign citizens arriving from those countries will not be allowed into Israeli unless they can show a proven ability to self-quarantine at a home during their stay.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-dramatically-widens-coronavirus-rules-adds-eu-nations-to-quarantine-list/

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
5 minutes ago, ciel said:

I agree. It is responsible, on a personal (older person) and community level, to avoid cluster areas. And I don't think publishing locations is onerous for officialdom, after all they will be in possession of that information anyway. Credible transparency reduces concerns. 

Again, on a personal level, I have postponed making holiday arrangements until I assess travel risks - which btw won't depend on NW opinions regarding concerns.

On two picky notes, the omnipresent official advice on hand washing has not emphasised the importance of washing under rings and wrist-watches, and also what do you do with a tissue if you cough/sneeze into a tissue  in a supermarket, public transport, theatre etc.

We doggy owners are overflowing with 'nappy sacks' for our little ones ablutions..... why not spend your 34p for 200 and begin carrying a couple of them with you along with your tissues? 

Posted

The Italian PM has said that the virus spread in the north of the country  was made much worse by one of the hospitals mismanaging security protocols.

Posted
7 minutes ago, ciel said:

Mum picked up on this the other day.  She was watching an expert on TV explaining the importance of hand washing, however, they didn’t actually go through the phases/movements you are shown to do as part of infection control within the NHS.  I actually had the infection control nurse stand over me while I demonstrated the hand washing procedure at the Nuffield before she signed me off as having completed my infection control training.  Rings do need particular attention and infection control nurses went to great lengths to hi-light how gel and acrylic nail extensions can hold dirt and potential germs as well.

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me

Americans.....

A patient who tested positive and was told to self isolate ignored the request and attended a business event the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) warned in a press release.

Guest Delete Me
Just now, Donegal said:

Yes and worst of all is he works in a medical centre. Like a firefighter driving around Australia in the summer time flicking cigarettes out the window. 

Wow what a guy, he must be so proud of himself 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Americans.....

A patient who tested positive and was told to self isolate ignored the request and attended a business event the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) warned in a press release.

If someone dies and it is traceable back to that selfish individual then perhaps a manslaughter charge would be in order. That might stop that kind of reprehensible behaviour. I'm not a great fan of legislating for everything but that is ludicrous.

• Like 2