Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Sounds like heaven, but thats the problem, that kind of attention to detail requires serious labour and quality labour too, and therefore doesn't come cheap.

Think the ratio of passengers to crew was 2 to 1. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just seen the BBC rolling news. Wall to wall coverage of covid-19 obviously, would help if those presenting it had the first idea of what they are talking about.

Chief science correspondent (Fergus Walsh?) witters on about perspective saying the mortality rate is possibly 1% with 3000+ deaths. So far so good, but then compares this to TB saying that TB kills 40,000 people a day.  This might be worrying news to the WHO and TB alliance. as they have obviously missed 15 million additional deaths per year?

globe.png
WWW.TBALLIANCE.ORG

Tuberculosis (TB) is a global disease, found in every country in the world. It is the leading infectious cause of death worldwide.

This is pretty basic stuff! 

TB is a killer, currently topping the table for global deaths due to disease and is worse than malaria, despite there being effective treatment. But it is 4,000 deaths per day. 

If you go and compare something, getting one of the two out by an order of magnitude is plain embarrassing. I rewound the coverage just to check that i had not miss heard, and there he was, next to a big graphic saying 40,000 a day, so he had not misspoke either. Interestingly that graphic was not referenced, the proceeding graphic stating the current number of covid-19 deaths at 3,000+ did list it's source as "John Hopkins"

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

This is a reasonably positive statement from the WHO

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus✔@DrTedros

Knowing & understanding an epidemic is the first step to defeating it.
We are in unchartered territory with #COVID19. We have never before seen a respiratory pathogen that is capable of community transmission, but which can also be contained with the right measures.

5:35 PM - Mar 2, 2020

China only managed to clamp down on major epidemic because it carried out extreme draconian measure, and the people perhaps out of fear of Gvt obliged, the danger has not gone in China, you just cannot drop your guard with this virus, production and mobility is returning back to normal. I would say it is likely the outbreak will come in another wave maybe not as big as first. You cannot extrapolate China’s success worldwide it is incomprehensible to me, we in the west will do what they did....sacrifices will be made whatever is done. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some disgraceful attempts to profit from this virus here in France .

One chemist selling a bottle of hand sanitizer gel 500ml on sale for 30 Euros!  

The government has given a further update re confirmed cases, as of 4pm , up to 212.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

China only managed to clamp down on major epidemic because it carried out extreme draconian measure, and the people perhaps out of fear of Gvt obliged, the danger has not gone in China, you just cannot drop your guard with this virus, production and mobility is returning back to normal. I would say it is likely the outbreak will come in another wave maybe not as big as first. You cannot extrapolate China’s success worldwide it is incomprehensible to me, we in the west will do what they did....sacrifices will be made whatever is done. 

Yes. That is what the Prof said on Sky News earlier. China did, what China can do, when it wants. People were dragged off streets, pulled from their homes, whole communities shutdown and locked down. Apples and pears come to mind.

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The government has given a further update re confirmed cases, as of 4pm , up to 212.

Same is happening here mate - eBay and Amazon being used to sell on supermarket hand sanitizer at extortionate prices.

Back in late January Screwfix had to restrict the sale of masks as they were being bulk bought and sold on to China.

Posted

In France a pattern is currently emerging .

The new cases seem to be overwhelmingly in the same areas .

A new story is developing though over a religious gathering in a place called La Porte Mulhouse in the Alsace region.

The authorities are now asking those who attended between the 17 and 24 February to come forward . 

Apparently there were thousands of people there over that time frame .

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

In France a pattern is currently emerging .

The new cases seem to be overwhelmingly in the same areas .

A new story is developing though over a religious gathering in a place called La Porte Mulhouse in the Alsace region.

Interesting, cc.Iran, cc.South Korea

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Embargoed until Wednesday but FA will be releasing advice regarding pre match Respect 'hand shakes' to clubs in the National League System to take affect for games this weekend, until further notice. Will circulate to clubs & match officials and put link to advice on twitter.

Taken from South West Peninsula League Twitter feed. 

How about doing something truly radical and making spitting by players a bookable offence.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Interesting, cc.Iran, cc.South Korea

I certainly won’t be going to church anytime soon ! Not that I went anyway ! 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

The main question I have in regards to this is...

Did he get his mask?

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Prices will have to go up probably considerably, supply is not meeting extremely high demand. When you are running out of stock, what can you do? It should also reinforce the idea we need to stop taking everything for granted material items and all. This is already disrupting availability and supply chains severely, and we are nowhere near full blown epidemic in Europe so it is concerning the “panic” and lack of supply is coming now, when it is nowhere near as bad as it could be. This just tells you we are absolutely not prepared for this. I think you are up in clouds if you think we have this under control. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The problem with this washing hands message though is the actual way to wash your hands was shown in that video on youtube which was posted on here yesterday i think, where the last touch was with a paper towel to turn the tap off, a lot of public toilets just do no have the facilities to do that, a pub i drink in didn't have no paper towels or anything to dry your hands with and until recently only had the taps you have to turn, so basically the last contact would always have to be with a tap which someone else without the hygiene principles could have touched, and anyway you still have to open a door to get out so the last contact will always be with something every one else has touched, this just clearly isn't going to cut it as far as dramatically reducing the spread is concerned.

I've always thought it was bonkers that public toilets in the UK all have the doors opening inwards towards the toilets, meaning that you have to touch door knobs/handles in order to get out.  If it was the other way around you could wash your hands in the toilets and then shove the door outwards with your sleeves without having to touch other people's germs. 

I think the authorities might have difficulty banning handshakes, as I have had plenty of experiences of being required to "shake hands like a man" in most social situations and being ostracised and given strange looks if I complain about being given a painful bone crusher or don't want to have physical contact with someone who has a heavy cold.  Nowadays it gets called polite rather than manly, as saying "man up" is considered politically incorrect, but it's the same rules, just framed differently to disguise the "man up" ethos.  It remains to be seen how effective the fear of coronavirus will be at penetrating that stiff upper lip.  

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted

Looks like my bubble is holding here! 

For how long though ! 

Anyway areas  in France currently are Morbihan, Oise , Grand Est , Haute Savoie . Which continue to see the vast majority of new cases.

I fear come Easter if this is still going on that the Lourdes area is going to be hit badly with all the pilgrims attending then .

Not sure it’s sensible to have tens of  thousands of people from all over the world in one place . 

Edited by nick sussex

Guest Delete Me

Iran's real numbers will be scary, there's a few videos from inside morgues and the bodies are in abundance.

Like Wuhan, the people behind the camera will most likely never be seen again.

3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Prices will have to go up probably considerably, supply is not meeting extremely high demand. When you are running out of stock, what can you do? It should also reinforce the idea we need to stop taking everything for granted material items and all. This is already disrupting availability and supply chains severely, and we are nowhere near full blown epidemic in Europe so it is concerning the “panic” and lack of supply is coming now, when it is nowhere near as bad as it could be. This just tells you we are absolutely not prepared for this. I think you are up in clouds if you think we have this under control. 

But you cant be prepared for this, not to the extent some here think anyway.

So we hold massive stocks of food, hand cleaning products, masks etc etc, just in case sometime in the next 10yrs something like this happens? I'm afraid you're up in the clouds if you think that is even viable!

And I think taking things for granted is pushing it a stretch in this? What is it that people are taking for granted? Alcohol gel etc? I tell you what, once this is all over, sales of cleaning products will continue to be high for years to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I've always thought it was bonkers that public toilets in the UK all have the doors opening inwards towards the toilets, meaning that you have to touch door knobs/handles in order to get out.  If it was the other way around you could wash your hands in the toilets and then shove the door outwards with your sleeves without having to touch other people's germs. 

I think the authorities might have difficulty banning handshakes, as I have had plenty of experiences of being required to "shake hands like a man" in most social situations and being ostracised and given strange looks if I complain about being given a painful bone crusher or don't want to have physical contact with someone who has a heavy cold.  Nowadays it gets called polite rather than manly, as saying "man up" is considered politically incorrect, but it's the same rules, just framed differently to disguise the "man up" ethos.  It remains to be seen how effective the fear of coronavirus will be at penetrating that stiff upper lip.  

There is a stiff upper lip round here but i would like to see someone try and force someone to shake hands who doesn't want to!  -  agree with your top point.

Posted

The Italian government is now advising all people over 75 with underlying health conditions to remain at home and to avoid social events .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, hammerb32 said:

This seems significant to me, would mean that the virus was well established in Europe longer than assumed?

I'm sure I read some of the Italian cases were also post mortem ... another reason for seeming high CFR.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Possibly related to the new case in Hampshire earlier but currently unknown

WWW.DAILYECHO.CO.UK

TWO pupils have been sent home from a Winchester school amid coronavirus fears, after they travelled in a taxi that has had another traveller with a…

Posted
13 minutes ago, emax said:

But you cant be prepared for this, not to the extent some here think anyway.

So we hold massive stocks of food, hand cleaning products, masks etc etc, just in case sometime in the next 10yrs something like this happens? I'm afraid you're up in the clouds if you think that is even viable!

And I think taking things for granted is pushing it a stretch in this? What is it that people are taking for granted? Alcohol gel etc? I tell you what, once this is all over, sales of cleaning products will continue to be high for years to come!

I never said that putting prices up limits incentive to have a giant hoard alcohol hand gel etc, our food security isn’t being threatened, I think this is ridiculous some are preparing for nuclear war. Personal protective equipment (ppe) seems to be severely lacking and medical staff need it to keep safe from virus....this is a big concern. People take everything for granted, you or me could die in road traffic accident tomorrow. Already people are choosing not go abroad this year over this, sacrifices for business and leisure will have to be made. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

I'm sure I read some of the Italian cases were also post mortem ... another reason for seeming high CFR.

I find that more disturbing if anything, the patient being treated for bog standard pneumonia no protective equipment the medical staff would be greatly at risk. You would however think Italy is doing things differently now.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Looks like my bubble is holding here! 

For how long though ! 

Anyway areas  in France currently are Morbihan, Oise , Grand Est , Haute Savoie . Which continue to see the vast majority of new cases.

I fear come Easter if this is still going on that the Lourdes area is going to be hit badly with all the pilgrims attending then .

Not sure it’s sensible to have tens of  thousands of people from all over the world in one place . 

The bubble has probably burst nick it may take a few weeks for this to be truly realised, a case in Lewisham today SE London borough very close to home. It is circulating about in London silently no doubt.

• Like 6