Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
4 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Not exactly what you’re after, but a good piece of statistical analysis on age groups etc 

https://blog.sprucehealth.com/coronavirus-whos-going-to-die/

@philglossop possibly what you’re looking for..?

Excellent piece Beanz. Thanks mate!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

First death reported in Spain. 

The patient died in Valencia on February 13th further testing has confirmed it was of coronavirus.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
2 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Excellent piece Beanz. Thanks mate!

Well I can’t take credit for it, but yes I thought it was quite interesting.  Another article I found interesting was this piece analysing the characteristics of the Wuhan outbreak.  

I find medical professionals are far more balanced in their reporting of the facts than news agencies 

GettyImages_1204248113.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

"It’s all about speed": the most important lessons from China’s Covid-19 response.

• Like 2

Posted

Summery of a meeting for updates and measures being put into place for British Overseas Territory of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, and the Hon. Premier, co-chaired a meeting of the TCI NSC on 2 March 2020, at the Governor’s Office, Providenciales.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
1 minute ago, Beanz said:

Well I can’t take credit for it, but yes I thought it was quite interesting.  Another article I found interesting was this piece analysing the characteristics of the Wuhan outbreak.  

I find medical professionals are far more balanced in their reporting of the facts than news agencies 

GettyImages_1204248113.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

"It’s all about speed": the most important lessons from China’s Covid-19 response.

Agree. Having had pneumonia about 20 years ago and being ventilated at that time in ICU, the medical care even then was 2nd to none. Like a lot of things media hype does no good but cold analysis like the above is more reassuring. Plus you can survive pneumonia as I proved. 

Mind you, i guess it wouldn't be a bad time to stop smoking! 

• Like 3

Posted

Just been on Sky News -

A professor from the US, a top person from a health organisation in US (sorry didnt get the guy's name).

- shutdowns basically impossible in Western democracies; China can do it and did it, because it is China.

- large numbers showing in South Korea, Japan and Italy because increased urgency of testing is showing up in the stats

- areas like London, New York, for example are probably right now, experiencing 'silent' transmission i.e. not being picked up

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
24 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Another thing I’ve been wondering, are most of the Italian cases still predominantly coming from the same region which was quarantined or has it spread to the rest of Italy yet in significant numbers?

This was posted on Twitter half an hour ago, showing Italian cases by region - it's definitely more widespread than just the northern regions - but you can see how significant the outbreak is in the top three northern regions. 

image.thumb.png.035875da186233dd17eb5fbc4484841b.png

• Like 3

Posted

It’s interesting how China, South Korea and hopefully Italy have managed to keep the outbreaks fairly well confined to a certain geographical area.

It provides hope that with the right measures it might be contained. Hence why WHO haven’t declared a pandemic 

Posted
28 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The patient died in Valencia on February 13th further testing has confirmed it was of coronavirus.

This seems significant to me, would mean that the virus was well established in Europe longer than assumed?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swebby said:

Extrapolate that to the cost of occupying an ICU bed with assisted breathing...... 

The US system of health care provision is truly bonkers, and if they have an unconstrained epidemic, it may convince the US that centrally funded healthcare works better.

The US system is just plain wrong, but our NHS isnt for free, unless it's just me paying for it out of my wage every month? 

• Like 1

Posted

Now a total of 9 deaths in Washington State!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

It’s interesting how China, South Korea and hopefully Italy have managed to keep the outbreaks fairly well confined to a certain geographical area.

It provides hope that with the right measures it might be contained. Hence why WHO haven’t declared a pandemic 

Not sure what you mean? In China it spread to every province. It's in around 20-30 different areas of Italy and South Korea has the most infected outside of China. 

Many scholars and scientists are already calling this a pandemic, they dont, unfortunately represent every organisation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

8300 masks and 1200 bottles of alcohol hand gel stolen, this time from a hospital in Paris. This is the kind of reprehensible behaviour that a phenomenon like this engenders in our fellow human beings

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Now a total of 9 deaths in Washington State!!

Only to be expected, in a country in which those living in the most crowded and unhygienic localities are excluded from any healthcare?:oldsad:

That's a societal comment, not a political one, btw!:oldgood:

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The UK has tested over 13,500 people , population approx 65 million 

The USA has tested 472 , population approx 360 million 

The stories coming out of the USA are shocking , it’s a total shambles , people with symptoms unable to get tested , faulty test kits, not enough labs, a lack of coordination between the CDC and each state.

Perhaps the US will learn from this and there will be real social, political and economic change. Sometimes, just like individuals, nations have to learn the hard way and I am sadly sure that this is going to be a hard and steep learning curve for the US.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
3 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Not sure what you mean? In China it spread to every province. It's in around 20-30 different areas of Italy and South Korea has the most infected outside of China. 

Many scholars and scientists are already calling this a pandemic, they dont, unfortunately represent every organisation.

The WHO have said they no longer use the term pandemic. I'm not au fait with the rationale. 

But this is how they defined a pandemic in 2010 in relation to Swine Flu. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I heard theres people in America has to pay alot of money just to get tested for Coronavirus. If its positive they have to pay again to be quarantined. I find that harsh for the people there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/worries-about-medical-bills-and-lost-pay-may-hamper-coronavirus-efforts-in-the-united-states/2020/03/02/75825be0-5c9c-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Only to be expected, in a country in which those living in the most crowded and unhygienic localities are excluded from any healthcare?:oldsad:

That's a societal comment, not a political one, btw!:oldgood:

I think it was 4 or 5 of the deaths were elderly in care homes, but I cant find any info for the latest deaths, other than the 2-3 new deaths died in late Feb, but have only just been confirmed to have died of COVID.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

The vast majority of deaths and cases in China were in Hubei province, isolated cases elsewhere but no spread on the same level.

South Korea 75% of cases in the Daegu region although their epidemic hasn’t peaked. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, pip22 said:

I heard theres people in America has to pay alot of money just to get tested for Coronavirus. If its positive they have to pay again to be quarantined. I find that harsh for the people there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/worries-about-medical-bills-and-lost-pay-may-hamper-coronavirus-efforts-in-the-united-states/2020/03/02/75825be0-5c9c-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html

According to very reliable cultural profiling data (Hofstede, Trompenaars) the US is the most individualistic culture in the world with a distinctive bias against a collective consideration mentality. This is a very deep-rooted value set, reinforced by political, economic and social policy and strategy and something that is very hard to change. Just like I would never condemn another culture's food habits (like some have done with China and the "wet markets" in recent times) I cannot condemn the culture of the US. I might not like it but that is their culture. I've spent a lot of time in the US and it is a truly amazing country but no matter where I went I always felt an undercurrent of this individualism.

Cultures, like individuals, can change - but as with individuals, sometimes a radical life event effects a very major change.

I think it will be very interesting to see how this evolves in the US over the next months and years.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

According to very reliable cultural profiling data (Hofstede, Trompenaars) the US is the most individualistic culture in the world with a distinctive bias against a collective consideration mentality. This is a very deep-rooted value set, reinforced by political, economic and social policy and strategy and something that is very hard to change. Just like I would never condemn another culture's food habits (like some have done with China and the "wet markets" in recent times) I cannot condemn the culture of the US. I might not like it but that is their culture. I've spent a lot of time in the US and it is a truly amazing country but no matter where I went I always felt an undercurrent of this individualism.

Cultures, like individuals, can change - but as with individuals, sometimes a radical life event effects a very major change.

I think it will be very interesting to see how this evolves in the US over the next months and years.

9/11 and hurricane Katrina didn’t do anything societally in the USA... maybe this might when people who have insurance but have elderly relatives and family with respiratory problems actually end up with complications or die from it they might acknowledge something like this isn’t fended off by having money and insurance and living in gated communities ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A little glimmer of light in the gloom. The UK spread slightly lags that for places like France (and of course Italy). If we can use that precious extra time to hammer home the simple, easy messages like frequent, thorough hand-washing and get that to be second nature for most people, we will surely avoid at least some transmission and save at least some lives. Plus, if we can get people into the habit of practising improved hygiene as a matter of course, that will also help against many other conditions -- which will both reduce strain on the NHS during this crisis and make the nation healthier when it's over.

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

A little glimmer of light in the gloom. The UK spread slightly lags that for places like France (and of course Italy). If we can use that precious extra time to hammer home the simple, easy messages like frequent, thorough hand-washing and get that to be second nature for most people, we will surely avoid at least some transmission and save at least some lives. Plus, if we can get people into the habit of practising improved hygiene as a matter of course, that will also help against many other conditions -- which will both reduce strain on the NHS during this crisis and make the nation healthier when it's over.

One can hope but I’m not sure would put money on it sadly.