Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Told my wife that there might be a ban on sex next.

Is this part of the mooted cancellation of public gatherings of more than 5000?  

Maybe it's just a Surrey thing

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
59 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

On a personal level, I smoked my last cigarette 3 days ago. I figured I don't need my lungs incapacitated from the get go. Hopefully I can get rid of enough 'gunk' before the virus becomes widespread.

Don't blame you. I quit 10 years ago best thing I ever did. Now I don't have any chest/lung issues. Not to mention the amount of money I saved as well.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Yes it sure is when you're not used to it. I've almost inadvertently headbutted a few doing it lol. Doesn't help being a giant having to stoop down. First introduction to it was at my friend's house, was a gathering on. Was told about it just going in to the door. After 20 people felt like I had whiplash haha

I think Brits have become a bit more kissy over the years . With the ease of travel now and seeing what goes on in those kiss friendly countries ! I think they’re a bit more relaxed about it although I can understand it can still be a bit awkward at times.

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

China:

• 79968 (+579) cases
  • 2873 (+35) deaths

Outside of China:

• 7169 (+1160) cases
  • 58 (+5) countries
  • 104 (+18) deaths

New countries here are: Azerbaijan, Ecuador, Ireland, Monaco and Qatar

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

If you want some updates on Iran follow this guy - https://twitter.com/aliostad

Thanks for the link . 

Reading it , it’s truly shocking what’s going on in the country . 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think Brits have become a bit more kissy over the years . With the ease of travel now and seeing what goes on in those kiss friendly countries ! I think they’re a bit more relaxed about it although I can understand it can still be a bit awkward at times.

Definitely. When we're in The Algarve or Fuerteventura, 2 of our regular haunts, kisses on cheeks from friends there for my wife are abundant. In Fuert there's a music bar we go to after dinner, where the band is made up of a Spanish guy, 2 guys from Naples, the drummer is Chilean, the head waiter is Cuban. On our first night my wife will get at least 10 cheek kisses in first 10 mins of us appearing, as they know us so well now. Same in Algarve in a few regular bars/restaurants.

We're off to Fuert v soon and only yesterday she said to me "Shall i politely decilne or what?", because of this virus.

And, amongst our 'home' friends and fam the greeting and goodbye cheek kiss has defo become more prevalent. What do you do though, you dont want to offend?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I got the Flu with Tonsillitis on top of it. Can't say it was nice, waking up with a pool of sweat and feeling absolutely destroyed and shaking to the core. This was 2013.

However this was a few months after ending up in hospital with something (8 blood tests later) and still no idea with just inflammation of the intestines showing up.   Temperature +39.9*C with dosage of paracetamol, ibuprofen and aircon at +18*C. Had a cute Spanish nurse looking after me in good ole General del Muro.

13 hours ago, thundercrazy said:

Is it possible I wonder to have both flu and coronavirus at the same time?

So I can honestly say, getting xyz on top of each-other is probably possible but no thank you.  Never again...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

New cases in China have fallen whilst deaths have increased slightly

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Australia has reported the first community transmission.

12018514-16x9-700x394.jpg
WWW.ABC.NET.AU

There are now two cases of human-to-human transmission of coronavirus in Australia, one being a health worker in western Sydney who has had direct...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Anyone else kinda resigned to the fact they're going to catch this and in a way just want to get it over and done with one way or another?

Think its going to be worse witnessing others suffer with it.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Anyone else kinda resigned to the fact they're going to catch this and in a way just want to get it over and done with one way or another?

Think its going to be worse witnessing others suffer with it.

I would have thought at some point we will all  know of someone who as caught the virus.  It makes you think if it would be better to get it now    ( lower cases  more resources to look after you )  than latter  when the NHS could really be at breaking point.   I expect over the next few days for the numbers in this country to really ratchet upwards.  Lets see what happens in the COBRa meeting today. 

• Like 2

Posted

Useful read. Think any info at the moment must include the caveat “it all depends”

25410352-0-image-a-45_1583119319296.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The world wants to know what to do about it and so - from risks to the elderly to how to self-quarantine - we asked some of the world's leading experts for answers to the big coronavirus questions.

Posted
15 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I would have thought at some point we will all  know of someone who as caught the virus.  It makes you think if it would be better to get it now    ( lower cases  more resources to look after you )  than latter  when the NHS could really be at breaking point.   I expect over the next few days for the numbers in this country to really ratchet upwards.  Lets see what happens in the COBRa meeting today. 

Is this known as the Kamikaze Cure on the off chance you stand a better chance of getting over it? I expect someone is selling the virus on Ebay by now.

Edited by Snipper

Posted

Yes I think it's better to be one of the first to get it, in terms of NHS resources.

My biggest concern locally is the very old population here in Clacton.  We have a skewed population due to the huge numbers of older residents in care homes and around here.  If you go in the job centre in town, 90% of the jobs are care related.  Knowing how vulnerable the elderly are to this virus, it is unsettling to think how many hospitalisations we'd see.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

This guy has been doing medical case studies for a few years and has recently updated with some COVID-19 ones. An interesting watch.

• Like 5

Posted

Some perspective needed for those talking about inevitably getting the virus, as, particularly with taking basic precautions (washing hands etc) the risk can be limited anyway. Looking at the numbers, they're still relatively low. Northern Italy has a population of something like 27,000,000. Of that, 1694 people have been reported as having the virus. That's 0.006% of the population in what is the worst affected part of Europe right now. 

This isn't me brushing off the potential impacts of coronavirus, or suggesting it won't spread further in a potentially short space of time, but at this point in time it's really nowhere near inevitable that most people will end up with it in my opinion. 

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Some perspective needed for those talking about inevitably getting the virus, as, particularly with taking basic precautions (washing hands etc) the risk can be limited anyway. Looking at the numbers, they're still relatively low. Northern Italy has a population of something like 27,000,000. Of that, 1694 people have been reported as having the virus. That's 0.006% of the population in what is the worst affected part of Europe right now. 

This isn't me brushing off the potential impacts of coronavirus, or suggesting it won't spread further, but at this point in time it's really nowhere near inevitable that most people will end up with it in my opinion. 

Oh  i agree we are many miles away from being in that situation.  but it could happen.  My main concern isnt really about he virus in its current state   its what it could possibly morph into.  I believe Spanish Flu  started off very similar to this virus  then it changed into a much more deadly strain.  Hopefully that will not happen  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Yes I think it's better to be one of the first to get it, in terms of NHS resources.

My biggest concern locally is the very old population here in Clacton.  We have a skewed population due to the huge numbers of older residents in care homes and around here.  If you go in the job centre in town, 90% of the jobs are care related.  Knowing how vulnerable the elderly are to this virus, it is unsettling to think how many hospitalisations we'd see.

That makes perfect sense to me, fujita5: we all know just how much ordinary seasonal flu impacts the NHS; once any spare beds are occupied (i.e. the corridors are full) waiting-times get extended...and COVID-19 commits many more folks to ICU than does any known strain of seasonal flu...

That said: I'd rather I didn't get it at all!

• Like 3

Posted

H/t Robert Peston

A huge under-discussed problem relating to the Covid19 potential crisis is how to give confidence to those on low pay, especially the significant numbers on zero hours contracts in retail and hospitality, that if they self-quarantine they won’t suffer extreme hardship

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Paul said:

This isn't me brushing off the potential impacts of coronavirus, or suggesting it won't spread further in a potentially short space of time, but at this point in time it's really nowhere near inevitable that most people will end up with it in my opinion. 

I agree, 'everybody' getting it isn't an issue, far from it.

It's unfortunate that the area of Italy hardest hit has such an elderly population.  Like I said above, this is a concern for my town as the population is very skewed towards the old and frail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Iran have reported 523 new cases of coronavirus and 11 new deaths

Total cases 1,501 with 66 dead

• Like 3