Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Yes, it did seem a bit "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing" but you're right, there are probably many doctors and nurses who have retired before 60 and anyway, 60 is just a number. Surely your state of health is much more important than your age. There are 60-70 year olds who are healthier than some 30-40 year olds.

Also the retired medical profession will be far better placed than a lot of public to assess the risks involved. I assume they would have to volunteer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Yes, it did seem a bit "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing" but you're right, there are probably many doctors and nurses who have retired before 60 and anyway, 60 is just a number. Surely your state of health is much more important than your age. There are 60-70 year olds who are healthier than some 30-40 year olds.

But is the susceptibility of the aged due to the rapid, and inescapable, decline in the immune response, rather than with health, in terms of what an annual checkup would reveal?

If it is, one could be as 'fit as a fiddle' and still be 10 times more prone than most others?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted

Chaand Nagpaul, the chair of the British Medical Association, says people need to be "proportionate" in their response to coronavirus.

Asked if the government is taking enough action, he replies: "Each nation has to take its own measures based on circumstances.

"At the moment, and this changes on an hour-to-hour basis... containment seems the correct strategy."

Mr Nagpaul says: "Whilst we are focussing on containment... I would be hoping and I believe there are plans being made for an outbreak that is more prevalent."

He adds planning for worst-case scenarios needs to be happening now.

Mr Nagpaul says he believes the government are doing this.

Source: Sky News

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
46 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I have not read any details but if retired doctors have let their medical licence lapse and/or their revalidation is not up to date I’m not sure how they can be bought back into practice, unless revalidation etc was fast tracked somehow. 

Posted

So within two minutes Matt Hancock was already peddling misinformation.

He said the Coronavirus fatality rate was similar to the flu . 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

So within two minutes Matt Hancock was already peddling misinformation.

He said the Coronavirus fatality rate was similar to the flu . 

Of course even if that was correct, it would mean double the amount of people at risk of death when it's added to the normal annual flu figures. Also double the pressure on the NHS

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

interesting to read, pandemic of 1918

spanish-flu-infection.jpg
WWW.HISTORY.COM

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, snowdog said:

Of course even if that was correct, it would mean double the amount of people at risk of death when it's added to the normal annual flu figures. Also double the pressure on the NHS

Is it possible I wonder to have both flu and coronavirus at the same time?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

But is the susceptibility of the aged due to the rapid, and inescapable, decline in the immune response, rather than with health, in terms of what an annual checkup would reveal?

If it is, one could be as 'fit as a fiddle' and still be 10 times more prone than most others?

Absolutely ... and the decline in ability of cells to repair the damage done. There was a chart showing the differences, over time, in the CT scans for young to old... everybody had patches on the lung (even those with no visible symptoms) ...the time it took to clear, if at all, increased with age.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 4

Guest Delete Me
19 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

Is it possible I wonder to have both flu and coronavirus at the same time?

Yes, co-infection is possible.

Posted
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

21 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Absolutely ... and the decline in ability of cells to repair the damage done. There was a chart showing the differences, over time, in the CT scans for young to old... everybody had patches on the lung (even those with no visible symptoms) ...the time it took to clear, if at all, increased with each age.

Yes, it appears that immunosenescence is inevitable.

There is conflicting evidence as to whether lifestyle ( sleep, exercise, avoiding stress, healthy diet, special foods) can delay these changes, but perhaps such issues are more relevant to health-span as opposed to life-span. 

• Like 3

Posted

I think people have been talking about the mortality rate being something like 1-2%, however what is a little more worrying at the moment is the settled cases showed that of those cases (about 45,000 now) roughly 7% ended in death and the rest recovered. Would suggest that the mortality rate may end up being higher than the 1-2% currently estimated, at least outside of the more economically developed countries/areas.

Of course that can be balanced out by the possiblity of people just thinking they have flu/heavy cold and never reporting their disease.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
17 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

This is interesting in terms of can the cured still shed or has community infection gone undetected for weeks.

Interesting with the mention of 'flu related pneumonia maybe actually being due to COVID-19 earlier in the season when no one was tested for it. Also about children, who may display few signs/symptoms but may be carriers. From what these guys are saying, this thing could have been among us for months and no one was any the wiser.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another thing that worries me about COVID-19 hysteria (which would be funny were it not so potentially tragic) is the likely upturn in ostensibly health-enhancing Veblen products: why spend 45 pence, for a jar of turmeric, in Lidl, when, for only £40, you can purchase a month's supply of the very same thing (though packaged as pills and given a poncey-sounding name) online --- or from any 'good' high-street rip-off merchant!?:oldangry::oldsad:

Enter The Plant Whisperer?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Another thing that worries me about COVID-19 hysteria (which would be funny were it not so potentially tragic) is the likely upturn in ostensibly health-enhancing Veblen products: why spend 45 pence, for a jar of turmeric, in Lidl, when, for only £40, you can purchase a month's supply of the very same thing (though packaged as pills and given a poncey-sounding name) online --- or from any 'good' high-street rip-off merchant!?:oldangry::oldsad:

Enter The Plant Whisperer?

Ignorance is bliss - but very expensive bliss!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

Is there any advice for people with long term health conditions like say asthma, who are under 60. Or anything else for that matter, cause they'd be in as much risk as the elderly I would have thought. As one of the big problems seems to be an auto immune over reaction, as read in some of the medical papers post here, anyone who has an auto immune problem surely needs advice too. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Is there any advice for people with long term health conditions like say asthma, who are under 60. Or anything else for that matter, cause they'd be in as much risk as the elderly I would have thought. As one of the big problems seems to be an auto immune over reaction, as read in some of the medical papers post here, anyone who has an auto immune problem surely needs advice too. 

I have asthma, Immune and neurological problems. I have not seen anything specific in regards to advice, I'm mainly housebound though.

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's much easier to give advice to the elderly (mostly retired) to avoid travel/crowds/hospitals etc: they are not the economically active, apart from the money they spend. It's a different kettle of fish where the workforce are concerned ... how many have underlying health issues that don't preclude a few hours work. As it is similar to flu, I would personally opt for the premise that if you fit into the category of being offered free flu vaccine then you might be in a more at risk category.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

For anyone interested, here's the official 'Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019' dated 16th-24th Feb. It makes for interesting reading with useful info even for us laypersons.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

A few examples from the report:

Risk to Healthcare workers
The report indicates that there is little evidence that healthcare workers are more at risk because of their job. In cases where a healthcare worker went down with the virus, it was traced back to being caught from someone else in their family. This suggests the protective clothing and medical face-masks used within Chinese hospitals working environment are doing their job:

"Remarkably, more than 40,000 Health Care Workers have been deployed from other areas of China to support the response in Wuhan. .......transmission within health care settings and amongst health care workers does not appear to be a major transmission feature of COVID-19 in China. When exposure was investigated in these limited cases [of infection], the exposure for most was reported to have been traced back to a confirmed case in a household."

Routes of transmission
"COVID-19 is transmitted via droplets and fomites [objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture] during close unprotected contact between an infector and infectee. Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence. Fecal shedding has been demonstrated from some patients, and viable virus has been identified in a limited number of case reports. However, the fecal-oral route does not appear to be a driver of COVID-19 transmission; its role and significance for COVID-19 remains to be determined."

Symptoms
"As of 20 February 2020 and based on 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases, typical signs and symptoms include:fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgiaor arthralgia (14.8%), chills(11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%).
People with COVID-19 generally develop signs and symptoms,including mild respiratory symptoms and fever, on an average of 5-6 days after infection (mean incubation period 5-6 days, range 1-14 days)."

Recovery Times
"Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease."

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

It's much easier to give advice to the elderly (mostly retired) to avoid travel/crowds/hospitals etc: they are not the economically active, apart from the money they spend. It's a different kettle of fish where the workforce are concerned ... how many have underlying health issues that don't preclude a few hours work. As it is similar to flu, I would personally opt for the premise that if you fit into the category of being offered free flu vaccine then you might be in a more at risk category.

That's what I thought, oh well I've been to hospital appointments for me and my son too, and have to continue, especially with his although now deescalated to gp , he needs his dressing changes and medical assessments on how his burn is doing. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

For anyone interested, here's the official 'Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019' dated 16th-24th Feb. It makes for interesting reading with useful info even for us laypersons.
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

A few examples from the report:

Risk to Healthcare workers
The report indicates that there is little evidence that healthcare workers are more at risk because of their job. In cases where a healthcare worker went down with the virus, it was traced back to being caught from someone else in their family. This suggests the protective clothing and medical face-masks used within Chinese hospitals working environment are doing their job:

"Remarkably, more than 40,000 Health Care Workers have been deployed from other areas of China to support the response in Wuhan. .......transmission within health care settings and amongst health care workers does not appear to be a major transmission feature of COVID-19 in China. When exposure was investigated in these limited cases [of infection], the exposure for most was reported to have been traced back to a confirmed case in a household."

Routes of transmission
"COVID-19 is transmitted via droplets and fomites [objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture] during close unprotected contact between an infector and infectee. Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence. Fecal shedding has been demonstrated from some patients, and viable virus has been identified in a limited number of case reports. However, the fecal-oral route does not appear to be a driver of COVID-19 transmission; its role and significance for COVID-19 remains to be determined."

Symptoms
"As of 20 February 2020 and based on 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases, typical signs and symptoms include:fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgiaor arthralgia (14.8%), chills(11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%).
People with COVID-19 generally develop signs and symptoms,including mild respiratory symptoms and fever, on an average of 5-6 days after infection (mean incubation period 5-6 days, range 1-14 days)."

Recovery Times
"Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease."

Good stuff.  Passed it onto the owner of the care home where my mother is incarcerated. 

I think it would take more than coronavirus to kill my mother off. 105 and doesn’t really take any medications. 

• Like 4

Posted

The issue surrounding face masks is most of the public won’t use them properly .

Although they might catch bigger droplets , the issue is how long before you change them, left on for too long is a problem . Then the simple task of removing them , if not done correctly you could  get the virus all over your hands , and if out how many people will lift them up , to eat or drink something or have a cigarette using their hands which have just transferred the virus on to them from the front of the mask itself .

Also masks need to be primarily kept for medical professionals who know how to properly use them as stocks are running very low .

The mask could also give members of the public  a false sense of security .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

12 further patients in England have tested positive bringing the total cases to 33 with 35 in the UK