Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
12 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I doubt it ever will be under control, WSL; it's a natural phenomenon for which we humans have no immunity....Like the 'Spanish Flu' it'll be over when it's over?

I agree. I'm just going to keep going on as normal, keeping fit and well and enjoying life. In the absence of OH Mylo now sleeps beside me at night and it is so comforting - who else sleeps with their dog, or is this another thread?!

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I have a flight booked to france in 3 weeks time. I'm was dead set on cancelling it but if its everywhere by then would it matter all that much. I 95% won't go, annoying. Not worried for myself, worried incase I would make family members and everyone else I'd encounter sick. 

That's a difficult one to reconcile with yourself isn't it. You're unlikely to get particularly ill yourself if you get it, but you could pass it to elderly or unwell relatives. However they may be exposed to it even if you don't go.... Tough call.

Posted

This currently on the Worldometer site, I had to read it several times

239 new cases and 8 new deaths in Italy. Among the 1,049 active cases, 401 (38%) are hospitalized, and 105 (10%) are in intensive care. Among the 79 closed cases, 50 (63%) have recovered, 29 (37%) have died.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I have a flight booked to france in 3 weeks time. I'm was dead set on cancelling it but if its everywhere by then would it matter all that much. I 95% won't go, annoying. Not worried for myself, worried incase I would make family members and everyone else I'd encounter sick. 

Same time as my OH will be coming back. Just go for it. I just paid £20 for him to fly back and we agreed that if things were looking dodgy we'd book another, earlier flight. We're a bit more casual about travel, but haven't got money to waste, so we always book in advance and travel cheaply! Ryanair is my hero airline, get the right times and dates and you have your "bus ticket".

Don't cancel, it'll probably be fine and we have a big country over here so what's happening in one tiny area may not affect where you are going.

Where are you visiting?

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Washington State Governor Jay Inslee has declared a state of emergency due to coronavirus

It's about time someone stepped up to the plate...Well done, that person!:oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
39 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I agree. I'm just going to keep going on as normal, keeping fit and well and enjoying life. In the absence of OH Mylo now sleeps beside me at night and it is so comforting - who else sleeps with their dog, or is this another thread?!

I almost always have 4 of my 6 cats sleeping with me, often wake up on the edge of the bed with about 6” of it left.  Always take my 20 year old one with me and the others follow on when they realise I’ve gone to bed. 

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I almost always have 4 of my 6 cats sleeping with me, often wake up on the edge of the bed with about 6” of it left.  Always take my 20 year old one with me and the others follow on when they realise I’ve gone to bed. 

I only sleep with one --- I'm a one cat man!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Post on the BBC News website today. Extracts:

Coronavirus: What are the chances of dying?

Researchers currently think that between five and 40 coronavirus cases in 1,000 will result in death, with a best guess of nine in 1,000 or about 1%. But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in. How hard is it to work out the death rate? It is PhD-level hard. Even counting cases is tricky. Most cases of most viruses will go uncounted because people tend not to visit the doctor with mild symptoms. The different death rates we are seeing reported around the world are unlikely to be due to different versions of the virus. According to research by Imperial College, it's because different countries are better or worse at spotting the milder, harder to count cases.

What's the risk for people like me?

Some types of people are more likely to die if they contract coronavirus: the elderly, the unwell and, maybe, men. In the first big analysis of more than 44,000 cases from China, the death rate was ten times higher in the very elderly compared to the middle-aged.

The death rates were lowest for the under 30s - there were eight deaths in 4,500 cases. And deaths were at least five times more common among people with diabetes, high blood pressure or heart or breathing problems. There was even a slightly higher number of deaths among men compared to women. All of these factors interact with each other and we don't yet have a complete picture of the risk for every type of person in every location.

895331292_CoronaVdeathratesBBC29Feb.thumb.jpg.6cf463573cfc1aff650ed22e245dfc51.jpg

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Ireland has reported its first case of coronavirus. The man had travelled from the northern part of Italy. 

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
33 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Ireland has reported its first case of coronavirus. The man had travelled from the northern part of Italy. 

The following link is to a web site with all the data -

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

MIA

Sorry I see you have already been given the info....

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Anyone know why the 'east/west' train line has been closed at Rochdale due to a health incident?

Trying to get Daughter in Law home to Leeds....

No idea, and won't jump to conclusions, could be anything. 

• Like 3

Posted

The Oise  department in France seems to be one of those clusters which has accounted for 36 of the 100 confirmed cases .

Also 3 healthcare workers in Paris have been confirmed as testing positive . They were treating infected patients .

We all owe a huge debt to all those on the front line who put themselves at risk .

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

No idea, and won't jump to conclusions, could be anything. 

Alexis, you won't last long on this thread with that sort of rational common sense

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Cases in China beginning to increase again

Hopefully it hasn't found a way around the containment measures, more likely people have relaxed a little and so it goes on. 

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
38 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Cases in China beginning to increase again

In certain provinces they have relaxed containment, allowed some people to go back to work, factories re-open etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

The World Health Organisation has told people aged over 60 to avoid crowded areas and public transport

Drastic warning also urged people over 60 to skip routine appointments at doctors' surgeries and hospitals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8060407/Health-chiefs-urge-60s-avoid-crowds-coronavirus-panic-spreads.html

* This advice doesn't match the news that retired Doctors might well be asked to return to work.  ?
I know the medics would wear full protective clothing however.

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, emax said:

I agree. I think most countries are doing as much as they feel necessary. Whether countries are doing enough is open to debate, but its a difficult line to draw. Most countries just dont have the resources etc to shut down and secure an entire region, let alone the whole country. And what about testing? You cant test everyone for this virus, as there just isnt the time or resources. The best they can do is unfortunately wait until people come forward. So many variables across so many platforms, it just is what it is. So many people complain about how governments react (some are obviously justified) but generally those people cannot offer any viable alternatives.

Its a bit like snow ploughs in winter. UK wise, if millions of tax payers money was to be spent on snow clearing equipment, people would complain its a waste of money. But when that once in a blue moon snow event happens, people are complaining left right and centre about how poor the resources are. You just cant win lol.

This whole thing is really down to each individual. If you are genuinely concerned for your safety, then dont go out. If you arent, then just live your life as normal, taking any precautions you feel are needed. People are sooo quick to expect the government to tell them how to live their lives, and can never make decisions for themselves. Obviously government advice is helpful and gets people thinking, but people shouldn't just expect the governments to deal with it all for them, and not do anything about it themselves.

Yes so many want the right to complain. Particularly when their neck and decision making is not on the line. A modern trend?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
53 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

The World Health Organisation has told people aged over 60 to avoid crowded areas and public transport

Drastic warning also urged people over 60 to skip routine appointments at doctors' surgeries and hospitals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8060407/Health-chiefs-urge-60s-avoid-crowds-coronavirus-panic-spreads.html

* This advice doesn't match the news that retired Doctors might well be asked to return to work.  ?
I know the medics would wear full protective clothing however.

I also thought this 'battle plan' of asking retired Doctors and Nurses to be at odds with  advice for the elderly ! I thought the virus was higher risk to the elderly. 

Maybe they are just thinking of using medical staff that have retired from the profession under the age of 60

Posted
1 minute ago, snowdog said:

I also thought this 'battle plan' of asking retired Doctors and Nurses to be at odds with  advice for the elderly ! I thought the virus was higher risk to the elderly. 

Maybe they are just thinking of using medical staff that have retired from the profession under the age of 60

Yes, it did seem a bit "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing" but you're right, there are probably many doctors and nurses who have retired before 60 and anyway, 60 is just a number. Surely your state of health is much more important than your age. There are 60-70 year olds who are healthier than some 30-40 year olds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Yes, it did seem a bit "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing" but you're right, there are probably many doctors and nurses who have retired before 60 and anyway, 60 is just a number. Surely your state of health is much more important than your age. There are 60-70 year olds who are healthier than some 30-40 year olds.

Yes.I agree that age does not always indicate your state of health. It will be interesting to see how things progress.