Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A further patient in England has tested positive for coronavirus. The illness was passed on in the UK making it the UK's first known human-to-human transmission.

So we know where? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

“We will be tracing all individuals who used the Northern Line, any 541 Bus, or who visited Borough Market during daylight hours last week”

It's in London, that's just great news, not. Does the northern line go to Ealing /Brentford? I have a daughter in uni over their. 

It's all good it doesn't go there, so hopefully she hasn't used the line. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

So we know where? 

I think he lives in Surrey Alexis, I’ll try and find a link to the article 

Edit: from the BBC, the person is from Surrey -

_111083643_hi060309657.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Officials are trying to find out how a man in Surrey caught Covid-19 - and trace those he met.

Edited by lottiekent
Added link
  • Like 2

Posted

South Korea has urged its citizens to stay indoors this weekend and warned of a "critical moment" in the coronavirus battle, while the global risk has been raised to the highest level.

The country recorded its biggest daily jump in cases and is the worst-hit by the outbreak after China.

The 594 cases in the last 24 hours have taken its tally to 2,931.

skynews-coronavirus-south-korea_4934146.
NEWS.SKY.COM

South Korea is the worst-hit by the outbreak after China and the 594 cases in the last 24 hours have taken its tally to 2,931.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/will-coronavirus-slow-down-in-the-summer_uk_5e594a42c5b6010221102830?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage

*Will the virus slow down in warmer months 
A snippet from the above linked article ..

"These coronaviruses aren’t the same, but they do share a handful of similarities. The makeup of Covid-19 is about a 79% match to Sars-CoV and a 50% match to Mers, so we can potentially learn a thing or two from how those outbreaks played out.

Looking back at Sars, one study identified an 18-fold increase of infections in colder temps compared to warmer days. Another report looked at how the virus behaved in different environments and found that its viability rapidly declined at higher temperatures and humidity levels. The researchers found the SARS virus became increasingly inactivated as temperatures and humidity rose.

Similarly to Sars, Mers – which was mostly spread from animals to humans – also seemed to be stronger in cold, dry weather."

• Like 3

Posted

I think we can forget about heat killing it at least UK style 'heat' of about 20C.
UV and drying out in the sun/wind is more promising but only on surfaces which are exposed - more or less outside.
Person to person can't make much difference except we are somewhat more likely to be outside longer, or at least in a well ventilated room.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

South Korea has urged its citizens to stay indoors this weekend and warned of a "critical moment" in the coronavirus battle, while the global risk has been raised to the highest level.

The country recorded its biggest daily jump in cases and is the worst-hit by the outbreak after China.

The 594 cases in the last 24 hours have taken its tally to 2,931.

skynews-coronavirus-south-korea_4934146.
NEWS.SKY.COM

South Korea is the worst-hit by the outbreak after China and the 594 cases in the last 24 hours have taken its tally to 2,931.

I would be surprised if we aren't in the same boat as early as mid-March

• Like 2

Posted

wd40 sorry 4wd you hit your send button just before me. 

In addition possibly warmer weather causes people to be out and about with natural ventilation increased in homes etc.  People will not necessarily be huddled to together in doors to keep warm an ideal situation for transference. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, 4wd said:

I would be surprised if we aren't in the same boat as early as mid-March

The situation there was made much worse by that religious sect . Most cases in South Korea are within that .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I have been following this thread for some time.I am still puzzled about the severity of the virus.Obviously it must be bad for all governments to react to it so swiftly.

What happens to the cases that are straight away taken in to hospital? Are they already very poorly, or are they lying on a hospital bed just waiting to see what happens?

Why are there not many first hand accounts from people that have the virus? I would have thought the internet would be full of their stories !

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowdog said:

I have been following this thread for some time.I am still puzzled about the severity of the virus.Obviously it must be bad for all governments to react to it so swiftly.

What happens to the cases that are straight away taken in to hospital? Are they already very poorly, or are they lying on a hospital bed just waiting to see what happens?

Why are there not many first hand accounts from people that have the virus? I would have thought the internet would be full of their stories !

Good point. Made a similar sort of comment a while back. 
Are they just in isolation? Very ill? Just being monitored and tested in the fight to find a vaccine?

• Like 2

Posted

You would have expected people to be doing daily blog or youtube from their mobile while in isolation.
No doubt they have in Chinese but even youtube is blocked there.

• Like 2

Posted

My big fear is the USA, trump seems to be downplaying this to slow the stock market slide. But 3 new cases with no known source last night. They only started testing last night in one of the states, so could be widespread already!

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The situation there was made much worse by that religious sect . Most cases in South Korea are within that .

I don't see that being a lot different from any number of events here.
Perhaps larger sporting events will be suspended at least to spectators after this weekend (e.g. football league)
But concert halls etc must be pretty high risk.
Switzerland banned any event with over 1000 people seems sensible

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, 4wd said:

You would have expected people to be doing daily blog or youtube from their mobile while in isolation.
No doubt they have in Chinese but even youtube is blocked there.

Mr Able seems to be the only one trying.  Hopefully his apparent recovery continues. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, snowdog said:

I suspect many will be unwilling to disclose their identity for fear of blame/backlash.

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Perhaps larger sporting events will be suspended at least to spectators after this weekend (e.g. football league)

1000 seems a lot to me. Probably wouldn’t affect a lot of football games as the stands seem to be regularly almost empty. Too high ticket price?

Posted
27 minutes ago, snowdog said:

The first guy from Brighton, scout leader i think, made comments after 'release'. His was v mild, if i remember rightly; didnt he not even have any special drugs/treatment because it was so mild? 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Thing is where do you start, and stop? What about pubs? Sometimes v little space to breathe

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Thing is where do you start, and stop? What about pubs? Sometimes v little space to breathe

At least nowadays you don’t have to be a passive smoker as well. Mind you is cigarette smoke good for killing the virus?  Expect Twitter says so. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Iran have reported 205 new cases and 9 new deaths

Total cases 593 and 43 deaths

Surely the total number of cases are far too low. Are they in the thousands?

Guest Delete Me
14 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Surely the total number of cases are far too low. Are they in the thousands?

Testing capacity, often limited access to healthcare, inaccurate reporting and a government following the CCP and suppressing the truth

Guest Delete Me

Japan looks to have a hold on the outbreak but have identified a possible new cluster as 3 people have tested positive from a concert in Osaka.

Iran's numbers are unsurprising, health officials told the BBC that at least 210 people have died yet they continue to try and portrait a situation under control.

Thailand is a concern, they only have 42 confirmed cases but in the space of 4 weeks have seen viral pneumonia cases jump to 2,400...nothing to see here!

In South Korea we have big jump in confirmed cases (up 813) which is around the number Hubei Province was jumping up at around day 30. In terms of suspected / testing / negative tests here's the breakdown:

r65q17u0auj41.jpg