Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

What does "increased urgency" mean exactly, in context of this? Do you have some ideas?

Well not to panic but we need more doing things for example public health advertisements sharing appropriate hygiene etiquette, what to avoid doing ect. It would be good too if BJ did a televised address to nation, personally it seems we aren’t taking it particularly seriously. It is too much what you hear from news.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy has reported 233 new cases of coronavirus and 4 new deaths. Total now stands at 888 with 21 deaths.

France have reported 19 new cases today they're now advising people not to shake hands.

• Like 2

Posted

A further patient in England has tested positive for coronavirus. The illness was passed on in the UK making it the UK's first known human-to-human transmission.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Contingency planning for an upsurge in cases begins to emerge.

As part of the official action plan being drawn up by ministers and the chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, military medics and British Red Cross and St John Ambulance personnel will be drafted in to help the NHS cope with a major outbreak.

Under ministerial planning for a “reasonable worst-case scenario” of a potential pandemic, doctors and nurses working for the armed forces would help at hospitals where staff who have the virus are too ill to work or are self-isolating at home.

Source: Online Guardian

• Like 3

Posted

Professor Chris Whitty

“It is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad. “This is being investigated and contact tracing has begun."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Game changer ?  

Yes but a pity it takes something to happen which anyone with half a brain cell knew would happen to actually change the thought process - the risk in the UK was never 'low' or even 'moderate' - it is exceptionally high and will be for a long while yet.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye; once COVID-19's spreadability was known, it's only ever been a waiting game, feb.

image.thumb.png.18a4ae3b6600dfe9bcd8791732ffd427.png

• Like 5

Posted

The Gov's Press release

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty statement on a new case of COVID-19 passed on in the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
53 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

“It is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad. “This is being investigated and contact tracing has begun."

“We will be tracing all individuals who used the Northern Line, any 541 Bus, or who visited Borough Market during daylight hours last week”

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

“We will be tracing all individuals who used the Northern Line, any 541 Bus, or who visited Borough Market during daylight hours last week”

That in a way illustrates my point and Gray-Wolf and the others on here - how can you possibly say the risk is low when its totally invisible but is passed on so easily, the ridiculous statement i have been hearing is 'Contact the relevant authorities if you have had contact with anyone who has been to China', but how do you know the bloke sitting next to you on the train hasn't been in contact with someone else who has been in contact with someone else who has been to china.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
4 hours ago, Snipper said:

Any one got a holiday abroad booked?

AgEXQXNRazZ3VTZrU3ltM19xQ0RTTVAxX3cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong carrier that has been hit by cancellations into mainland China, is disinfecting plane surfaces after every single flight, including meal tables and armrests. Planes that carried...

No, but my OH is booked to fly back to us at the end of March. His boss has just happily flown off to Pakistan to see her family, mask in hand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
3 hours ago, General Cluster said:

It's a shame that so many many people, from outwith the natural sciences, find emergence such an awkward thing to comprehend...

No-one 'made' either COVID-19 or SARS...They emerged! Just as no-one 'made' The Black Death or Ebola!

Ther 'Bears of very little brains' need someone to blame Pete.

Dunning/Kruger has them all 'thinking themselves clever' but that really doesn't cut the mustard when there's a scientific paper to paw through does it?

As I noted upthread ( on a number of occasions?) I've been warning of this for two decades but caught nothing but Flak..... but then they do say you only take Flak when you're over the target.........

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

No, but my OH is booked to fly back to us at the end of March. His boss has just happily flown off to Pakistan to see her family, mask in hand.

Hope all turns out ok. 

Never had the itch to globe trot much.

Fortunately I worked from home for the last twenty years of my working life and only covered southern England. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Ther travel comps /airlines and hotel complexes...... which is why the Great Orange one is roasting his 'Health Experts' for raising concerns.......

I really wanted to say this, exactly the words you used, but I thought the post would get executed. Spot on my friend...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
46 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I was on the Northern line a few times this week....

Along with the Chelsea Match, a few restaurants, bars, clubs and pubs.   

Posted
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Rang the surgery this morning to ask if my doctor could ring me back as I had a medication review. Appointments are a pain to make. She has just rung back and agreed all was ok so everything was re authorised. 

I then asked if she was wearing her mask, not that would do her any good.  She said no and it would only last a few minutes anyway. The other thing you look a complete knob.  Had to laugh.  

Great! My doctor's like that. When I asked a couple of weeks ago when I had my throat infection " aren't you going to check this, that, anything else" - his reply was "no, get out, you have a throat infection but you're fitter and healthier than 99% of my patients, let me get on with them"!

Surely we can use the Diamond Princess cruise ship as a good case study to examine fatality rates because we have an accurate number for infected persons

691 confirmed infected as of Feb 25th

6 Deaths as of today

Also it appears the vast majority of infected are aged 60 and over

Does anybody know how many of infected have recovered or are in critcal condition ?

image.thumb.png.2356ba93cd076536ef94509ee4b7f61c.pngimage.thumb.png.12051b8d5dd66724efcd687c62a3b7f5.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

Posted

Quite a big increase today in French cases .

At the moment they seem to be currently clusters in certain departments . 

I remain in my bubble here ! I’m actually surprised that no cases as yet have been confirmed down here .

Lourdes has a huge amount of overseas visitors from all over the world  , towards Easter there will be a massive influx then .

Posted
28 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Hope all turns out ok. 

Never had the itch to globe trot much.

Fortunately I worked from home for the last twenty years of my working life and only covered southern England. 

I'm a 1.5 million km + traveller. Nothing fazed me (much!!!) travelling for work and leisure. Been to China, Ukraine, Australia, USA, North Africa to name but a few places for both work and holidays. Hubby is a less comfortable traveller, bit of fear of flying which I have helped him get over but also a bit less cognitively flexible than I am about cultural issues. I feel less of an urge to travel now that I am settled in my idyll here in rural France with everything I want and I have decided that work travel is just too disruptive to the things that I want most in life.

Would I travel right now?  Yes - I would and I will again (when we are ready). There's an amazing world to explore but there will always be risks.

50 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Ther 'Bears of very little brains' need someone to blame Pete.

Dunning/Kruger has them all 'thinking themselves clever' but that really doesn't cut the mustard when there's a scientific paper to paw through does it?

As I noted upthread ( on a number of occasions?) I've been warning of this for two decades but caught nothing but Flak..... but then they do say you only take Flak when you're over the target.........

Do you genuinely believe what you say, or is it just for effect? Im honestly curious!