Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
37 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Any company that had underlying probs before their shares crashed.

So lot's then, ouch. 

Posted

The one thing we haven’t seen much discussed amongst scientists .

Do we have cases of people testing positive who never get any symptoms . Another thing with some viruses a strong immune system can over react to the virus .

Children so far seem to be much less effected , could this be perhaps because their immune system isn’t fully developed .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

SARS and this have been attributed to China by most experts  in that field . And if it didn’t start in China then why the explosion of cases over there before anywhere else.

Yes, I would be surprised if it originated outside China but it still is not confirmed. 

If i was to say Zika virus, many would naturally assume Brazil/South america due to the Rio Olympics, but it's origin was central Africa. Many other countries have their own zoonotic viruses. Most Haemorrhagic fevers seem to be African, Hantavirus is a problem in the US, and one of the most deadly viruses in history, Smallpox, may well have originated in Africa but jumped to Humans in India. 

What i am saying is, viruses are viruses, they are the culprit, not the country they finally pop up in. I do not approve of China's see it eat it approach to wildlife, but that is not the real problem.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
59 minutes ago, thundercrazy said:

If it ever did get to that stage the intelligent ones would club together, safety in numbers and all that. The lesser brained are welcome to fight it out.

Aye, perhaps; but unlike financial crises, COVID-19 will affect everybody equally: Nature (unlike the products of human artifice) is quite egalitarian in its outlook.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Do we have cases of people testing positive who never get any symptoms . Another thing with some viruses a strong immune system can over react to the virus .

Children so far seem to be much less effected , could this be perhaps because their immune system isn’t fully developed .

Well isn't the main cause of death from pneumonia because of the fluids the lungs secrete? It allows pathogens to pool (bacteria etc that wouldn't usually be an issue) then sepsis forms.

It would be good if this particular bodily function could be 'switched off' in instances like this.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

Yes, I would be surprised if it originated outside China but it still is not confirmed. 

If i was to say Zika virus, many would naturally assume Brazil/South america due to the Rio Olympics, but it's origin was central Africa. Many other countries have their own zoonotic viruses. Most Haemorrhagic fevers seem to be African, Hantavirus is a problem in the US, and one of the most deadly viruses in history, Smallpox, may well have originated in Africa but jumped to Humans in India. 

What i am saying is, viruses are viruses, they are the culprit, not the country they finally pop up in. I do not approve of China's see it eat it approach to wildlife, but that is not the real problem.

I understand your points but if a country engages in practices that can trigger the start of the virus spreading then surely they need to be held to account and pressure put on them to change those .

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

At the moment people are being carted off to hospital in uk. Because they are seriously ill? To be quarantined? To be checked out and samples taken in the struggle to find a vaccine? Or what?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, sawan said:

Netweather.tv community forum transformed into Coronavirus.tv community forum. Probably Corono virus is more interesting than the current weather 

Only so many times you can post it's wet and windy lol. 

• Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think the west has a choice but one which it doesn’t want to make .

If you want to stop the spread then you’re going to have to take draconian measures.

And something that culturally most of us aren’t used to . I tend to think the vast majority of the public are quite sensible and would be quite understanding if say we saw some big changes to normal everyday life for a limited period .

If this helps to save lives then I think we should all be ready to do our bit.

In the grand scheme of things let’s say a month of many restrictions is a small price to pay .

I think you can build support for that if it’s done in the right way , you can get people on side .

I did mention about closing borders but was told that would be impossible, probably require months of 'intense' negotiations anyway......

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

That is something that has been puzzling me.  Think i saw somewhere the other day that the amount of ACE-2 expressed in a person is strongly related to underlying health issues you would normally associate with older age such, as COPD, heart disease, type II diabetes, hypertension. Not sure how true this is, but if it is a factor, children may have a natural resilience?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Only so many times you can post it's wet and windy lol. 

Just pull out your bible and tick off the 'events' outlined in 'Revelations' ....... we've got threads for them all currently (LOL)

Chinese ducks sent to ease the plagues of locust et al

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 5

Posted
55 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I can understand WHO not wanting to apportion blame but to be blunt the virus started in China and has been attributed to the poor hygiene and to us westerners what we perceive as weird eating habits over there .

This is the second virus caused by China after SARS .  The virus didn’t just land from another planet on an alien space craft .

It's a shame that so many many people, from outwith the natural sciences, find emergence such an awkward thing to comprehend...

No-one 'made' either COVID-19 or SARS...They emerged! Just as no-one 'made' The Black Death or Ebola!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I did mention about closing borders but was told that would be impossible, probably require months of 'intense' negotiations anyway......

I’d be happy to accept restrictions. But this has to be a cross European initiative to make sure its effective .

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Hmmm

Oh crap, potentially translates to 10,000 to 20,000 cases then.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

It's a shame that so many many people, from outwith the natural sciences, find emergence such an awkward thing to comprehend...

No-one 'made' either COVID-19 or SARS...They emerged! Just as no-one 'made' The Black Death or Ebola!

Yes emerged , I don’t think this is some man made virus . But the Chinese government helped it along its way by allowing the perfect breeding ground .

I really don’t see why countries who don’t entertain the type of barbaric eating practices in China should have to suffer .

• Like 1

Posted

Virus Spreads Over The Planet As Governments React Too Slowly.

After a uneven first response China did its very best to limit the spread of the nCov-19 virus and the Covid-19 disease the virus causes. The extreme quarantine, which began in mid January, has come at a great economic cost but bought the rest of the world time to prepare for the inevitable surfacing of the virus in other countries.

Unfortunately many governments did not use the month given to them and botched their responses. The number of newly confirmed cases per day outside of China is now bigger than the new daily number inside of China. South Korea alone reported 334 new confirmed cases today while the much larger China only reported 433.

China has shown that it is possible to successfully fight and stop the epidemic. Unfortunately other countries are not ready to follow its example. This is now making it likely that the epidemic in China will become a pandemic and will spread mostly uninhibited all over the globe.

South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy and the U.S. are now the countries which will see the next great impacts. Other countries will follow in a third wave as Brazil, Pakistan, North Macedonia, Greece, Georgia, Algeria, Norway and Romania all saw their first cases in the last 24 hours.

The wide spread in South Korea came through a religious cult which demands mandatory participation in overcrowded services. It was patient 31 and her contact with 1160 other persons that led to the wider spread:

The quarantine of a whole cruise ship in Japan and the incompetent bureaucratic response to it made a further spread in that country inevitable:

On Saturday, the health minister admitted that 23 passengers had been released from the ship without taking a valid recent test and had traveled by public transit after disembarking this past week.

Now that the quarantine has ended and most of the passengers have left, the concern is that they could start spreading the virus on shore.

Japan now has 200 cases and its government has decided to close all schools throughout March.

In Iran the epidemic came from China.

Read more.

To assess the wider global impact of the pandemic this table is most helpful:

image.thumb.png.9a2c28dced1dfd26fae6ac2f3a13fd38.png

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2020/02/coronavirus-globally.html#more

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

So what company to go bust first....

Just as long as it ain't Lidl!:oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I understand your points but if a country engages in practices that can trigger the start of the virus spreading then surely they need to be held to account and pressure put on them to change those .

Bush meat is a known problem, and not just for China.  But getting accepted cultural practices to change is nigh on impossible when not being faced by an immediate threat to ones health, this event may at least tip the balance in Chinese attitudes. 

While it is easy to look on at China and say you eat that! What about a culture that takes and consumes the secretion from a live animal, an animal that could be a vector for a virus. Sounds gross eh?I wonder how many people on this forum had milk on their cornflakes this morning, or honey on their toast?

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Wouldn’t more Brits stay at home rather than risk flying . I would have thought holiday cottages would appeal . You can drive there and it’s not like people are herded together like in hotels . People can have a holiday and avoid large crowds .

Really hope things work out okay for you and your wife .

Thanks Nick. I thought that too at first, but like the recent storms the big OTAs just let customers cancel without any notice, and tell us to suck it up. We didn't have any flooding in our village recently which was explained to our customers, but many still cancelled half term breaks because it was wet and they had an excuse for a refund. Seems like everyone has an excuse now.... i'm worried about that virus, please refund, had 2 today. My cleaners have also raised concerns about cleaning after our italian and chinese guests....hmmmm 

Posted
1 minute ago, beatpete said:

Thanks Nick. I thought that too at first, but like the recent storms the big OTAs just let customers cancel without any notice, and tell us to suck it up. We didn't have any flooding in our village recently which was explained to our customers, but many still cancelled half term breaks because it was wet and they had an excuse for a refund. Seems like everyone has an excuse now.... i'm worried about that virus, please refund, had 2 today. My cleaners have also raised concerns about cleaning after our italian and chinese guests....hmmmm 

Sorry to hear that . Personally if I wanted a holiday and wanted to also reduce the chance of getting the virus then a holiday cottage would seem the best choice . Certainly I’m happy I won’t be flying anytime soon . I hate flying at the best of times add in the virus and being stuck within a foot of the next person for hours on a plane and you’d need to sedate me to get me on board ! 

• Like 2

Posted

Rang the surgery this morning to ask if my doctor could ring me back as I had a medication review. Appointments are a pain to make. She has just rung back and agreed all was ok so everything was re authorised. 

I then asked if she was wearing her mask, not that would do her any good.  She said no and it would only last a few minutes anyway. The other thing you look a complete knob.  Had to laugh.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Interesting video

what-actually-happens-if-you-get-coronav
WWW.TECHNOLOGYNETWORKS.COM

What is the coronavirus and what does it actually do in your body?