Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, thundercrazy said:

We just have to hope if this does get out of hand that humanity will come together and help one another.

Hopefully it will not reach that stage? 

People are too selfish for that. It'll be dog eat dog if this gets out of hand.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, thundercrazy said:

We just have to hope if this does get out of hand that humanity will come together and help one another.

Hopefully it will not reach that stage? 

How???   -   If its game over then someone standing round my bed asking me if i am ok (risking their own life in the process) isn't going to cut it for me if i know i am going to die.

• Like 3

Posted

Any one got a holiday abroad booked?

AgEXQXNRazZ3VTZrU3ltM19xQ0RTTVAxX3cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong carrier that has been hit by cancellations into mainland China, is disinfecting plane surfaces after every single flight, including meal tables and armrests. Planes that carried...

Posted

Also i think complacency will play a part in the spread more than outright malice or lack of good will from other people, which is understandable after the hyperbole over BSE, Bird Flu, Aids, Foot and Mouth, now we have a real killer - its like the boy who cried wolf.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

We have a pandemic in very early stages time for WHO to call it what it is. There must be increased urgency... 

What does "increased urgency" mean exactly, in context of this? Do you have some ideas?

Posted

Something for tomorrow’s shopping list?

AgEXQWJ4QWJZQXRhVF95RHVHQUlrQ0l2WVEAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Although the virus may not show its ugly head in your neighborhood, it still makes good sense to exercise caution, especially when it comes to having enough nutritious food on hand. Benjamin Franklin once...

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Any one got a holiday abroad booked?

AgEXQXNRazZ3VTZrU3ltM19xQ0RTTVAxX3cAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong carrier that has been hit by cancellations into mainland China, is disinfecting plane surfaces after every single flight, including meal tables and armrests. Planes that carried...

Yep. Flights booked for end March, return mid-May. If we're on a flight that is not fully booked i suspect Easyjet will cancel it. Airlines run on fine margins. 

If we get to destination i'm more concerned about panic/knee jerk reactions, because that seems to be the current mode everywhere. As we'll be in private accom, not on complex, then the locked-in, quarantine issue with Spanish plod outside making sure no one gets out is a non-risk. Biggest issue is getting flight home if it really escalates and island airport is locked down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Also i think complacency will play a part in the spread more than outright malice or lack of good will from other people, which is understandable after the hyperbole over BSE, Bird Flu, Aids, Foot and Mouth, now we have a real killer - its like the boy who cried wolf.

That'll be me then?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Yep. Flights booked for end March, return mid-May. If we're on a flight that is not fully booked i suspect Easyjet will cancel it. Airlines run on fine margins. 

If we get to destination i'm more concerned about panic/knee jerk reactions, because that seems to be the current mode everywhere. As we'll be in private accom, not on complex, then the locked-in, quarantine issue with Spanish plod outside making sure no one gets out is a non-risk. Biggest issue is getting flight home if it really escalates and island airport is locked down.

It's all those beggars booking the 'Fully Inclusive' packages and proudly declaring " We won't even need to step foot out of the hotel!"...........then moaning when there's a copper with a gun telling them they can't 'step a foot out of their hotel'.....

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

That'll be me then?

I don't know because these threads weren't around then were they? - or i wasn't on them any how

Posted

On the beeb feed

"WHO warns against assigning 'blame' for virus

The WHO's Executive Director Dr Michael J Ryan says no individual country is to blame for the outbreak.

"It's really important that our rhetoric and narrative is balanced" said Dr Ryan, adding that China was not responsible for coronavirus, just as the Democratic Republic of Congo was not responsible for Ebola.

He said stigma “had become part of the global narrative, which is unhelpful”.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of people that should know better not assigning blame, is directly proportional to the likelihood of containment.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

How???   -   If its game over then someone standing round my bed asking me if i am ok (risking their own life in the process) isn't going to cut it for me if i know i am going to die.

Er not everyone is going to die, the human race will survive and i'm sure most on here have every chance of surviving. There is an awful lot of people on the planet and in context the deaths so far are a tiny fraction.

It is a terrifying prospect what may be ahead but we don't know what that is yet.

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Come April, you may conclude you are better off staying away from Blighty?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wow so much panic in here on a weather platform, the press are over cooking the severity of this, it not even as bad a the flu, 82% of cases are experiencing a mild cold, 14% more severe and experts suggest the number of cases reported are likely a 1000 x more. The normal groups of people who have other health issues are most at risk. In comparison over 1 billion people are effected by fly and up to 650,000 a year will die. Why are none of you worried about catching flu as the number of comparison effected are 82k is such a low percentage. Don't get sucked in to the panic. I was in AND Italy this week and there is plenty of food on the shelves and no panic!

Posted
Just now, swebby said:

Come April, you may conclude you are better off staying away from Blighty?

Well, that could be true. Where we are going, Corralejo in Fuerteventura, has large Italian expat community; some of them are bound to have travelled home and back, so extra risk factor, me thinks.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

On the beeb feed

"WHO warns against assigning 'blame' for virus

The WHO's Executive Director Dr Michael J Ryan says no individual country is to blame for the outbreak.

"It's really important that our rhetoric and narrative is balanced" said Dr Ryan, adding that China was not responsible for coronavirus, just as the Democratic Republic of Congo was not responsible for Ebola.

He said stigma “had become part of the global narrative, which is unhelpful”.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of people that should know better not assigning blame, is directly proportional to the likelihood of containment.

Whilst i agree it is counter productive and rather pointless now - animal practises were to blame, but it is their country, their culture and i respect that, it is our own fault, we should stipulate to other countries and countries with such practices that while we will not interfere in their internal politics, but we will restrict travel between these countries and the UK - it is this liberalisation and unnecessary  free movement of people that is to blame.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andrew snow hope said:

and experts suggest the number of cases reported are likely a 1000 x more

Have you got any sources for that figure as if that's true it's great news for everyone - but it doesn't seem to tie in with the thoughts of the World Health Organisation's experts!

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I don't know because these threads weren't around then were they? - or i wasn't on them any how

Yes there were from the first instance of H5N1 (Bird Flu) spiking my concerns about possible H2H evolution back in the noughties...ask 4WD!!!

Every time I was clobbered as a 'doomsayer' because of my concerns about the potential for what we now see unfolding.....

Of course no one will rock up and say " I wish I'd taken notice back then and given it the level of concern such deserved.... "  will they as they're not 'Hypervigilants' ......now the world is beginning to run around like headless chickens (as it's all coming home to roost) and I'm left feeling rather chill walking among them..... they're scrabbling to get up to speed on what I've warned them for 2 decades to be 'mindful' of .......

Just like 'Brexshyte' will turn out to be or the 'Great White Dopes' govt actions once they implement page 48 of the manifesto everyone just voted for.......

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

People are too selfish for that. It'll be dog eat dog if this gets out of hand.

If it ever did get to that stage the intelligent ones would club together, safety in numbers and all that. The lesser brained are welcome to fight it out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, thundercrazy said:

If it ever did get to that stage the intelligent ones would club together, safety in numbers and all that. The lesser brained are welcome to fight it out.

The trouble is I'm surrounded by simpletons ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Whilst i agree it is counter productive and rather pointless now - animal practises were to blame, but it is their country, their culture and i respect that, it is our own fault, we should stipulate to other countries and countries with such practices that while we will not interfere in their internal politics, but we will restrict travel between these countries and the UK - it is this liberalisation and unnecessary  free movement of people that is to blame.

This was always my concern that a combination of their 'Wet Markets' and the Chinese New Year travel was a recipe for a rapid global outbreak..... but I was just a doom monger not talking plain common sense..... obviously....

Well, here we are but I won't say " I told you so!".....

• Like 1