Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

A British man has died after being infected with coronavirus while in quarantine in Japan on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I do hope this isn't the chappie on his 50th wedding anniversary that was keeping us updated on breakfast TV

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I do hope this isn't the chappie on his 50th wedding anniversary that was keeping us updated on breakfast TV

It's not that guy.

Two of the group of four were David and Sally Abel, from Northamptonshire, who were being treated for the virus in a Japanese hospital.

Neither of them is the person who has died.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Probably best not speculate on identity.  It's a press report, not from the Japanese authorities and if it is true, NoK may not have yet been notified.

• Like 2

Posted

Earlier post about Corona beer sales - i've been plugging that 'joke' with wifey on our shopping trips for last few weeks. I noticed boxes of the stuff were on offer the other day in Aldi

• Like 3

Posted

Better news. 

25291160-0-image-a-41_1582838199869.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

David Abel has been filmed dancing to 'I've had the time of my life' following his release from the Diamond Princess. He tells viewers to 'bend those knees' as he squats and sashays back and forth.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Anyone read this book?

25293304-0-image-a-37_1582841640517.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Koontz's thriller The Eyes Of Darkness describes a killer virus named 'Wuhan-400' after the Chinese city it originated in - the same city where COVID-19 was first reported.

Life indeed imitating art.  Not read the book but have seen the relevant paragraphs from a link posted earlier about bots spreading misinformation.  I wonder why Mr Koontz chose Wuhan, hopefully he will enlighten us, (although it is 40 years ago and he has written many books) world was a very different place back then. China unrecognisable compared to today, and as for civilisation threatening viruses; A.I.D.s was nothing more than the name of a well known diet/slimming supplement

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Better news. 

25291160-0-image-a-41_1582838199869.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

David Abel has been filmed dancing to 'I've had the time of my life' following his release from the Diamond Princess. He tells viewers to 'bend those knees' as he squats and sashays back and forth.

Anyone who has had it and survives it are in a better position than any of us, i am guessing they might then be immune to it - so while everyone else is scared to go anywhere and do anything they will have a massive advantage, they can go to work and 'choose' their job and dictate labour market while everyone else is staying at home, they can also start charging for delivering stuff to people who don't want to leave their houses and are panic buying - You will be able to fill your boots in a few months time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
24 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Anyone read this book?

25293304-0-image-a-37_1582841640517.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Koontz's thriller The Eyes Of Darkness describes a killer virus named 'Wuhan-400' after the Chinese city it originated in - the same city where COVID-19 was first reported.

Yes, I have. I think the virus was a bit too "plaguey" to be a predictor of COVID-19! - the victims end up rather manky and horrible!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Earlier post about Corona beer sales - i've been plugging that 'joke' with wifey on our shopping trips for last few weeks. I noticed boxes of the stuff were on offer the other day in Aldi

Great, stock up and let's have an "end of days" party!

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Yes, I have. I think the virus was a bit too "plaguey" to be a predictor of COVID-19! - the victims end up rather manky and horrible!

Use to read a lot of sci fi books in the late 50’s and 60’s.  Seemed to cover many possible world wide catastrophes. Many were about thermo nuclear  war sign of the times then.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Use to read a lot of sci fi books in the late 50’s and 60’s.  Seemed to cover many possible world wide catastrophes. Many were about thermo nuclear  war sign of the times then.

There's another (not as good as Dean Koontz) but still very entertaining "Mass Extinction Event" by Amy Cross which is done in a series of books.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, beatpete said:

Personally I'm worried about the economic impact, I rent holiday cottages in Wales for a living. We get nearly all our bookings from the big four online travel agencies (we rather get direct but that doesn't happen anymore). Already we have had contact from them stating we must allow people to cancel at last min and issue full refunds. With the first case near to me (Swansea) it's an easy way for people to change there plans at my cost. It's been a tough winter and with the recent floods which saw a landslide onto one of our cottages, a few months without bookings would finish us. My wife is also self employed as a child minder. 

Wouldn’t more Brits stay at home rather than risk flying . I would have thought holiday cottages would appeal . You can drive there and it’s not like people are herded together like in hotels . People can have a holiday and avoid large crowds .

Really hope things work out okay for you and your wife .

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Things are getting so 'down' in here that it might be time we employed a Thread's Counselor: someone who, when one's feeling a little sad or confused (or maybe even just a little 'under the weather') just happens to exit the turbolift, at that very moment...And offer wise, patronising words and an inane grin?

image.thumb.png.c5cb426cf0920fb5b2bd5c48bec505b5.png

I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry, go on a shopping spree or hide in the wardrobe!!!

• Like 5

Posted

What I am worried about is that the administration is not helping the situation. They seem utterly unprepared. Trump has said “I think it’s gonna work out fine,” and National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said that U.S. containment of the virus is “pretty close to airtight.” These statements are uninformed.

Until two days ago, no single official has been put in charge of organizing the government’s response. To make matters worse, in 2018, Trump fired the pandemic response chain of command that the Obama administration set up to address the Ebola outbreak. There is no bureaucracy to coordinate various federal agencies and local responses. This past fall, Trump shut down Predict, a federal program that tracked and researched pandemics.

I would say that the U.S. is less prepared for the SARS-CoV-2019 outbreak than we’ve ever been.

To make matters even worse, Trump has appointed Vice President Mike Pence coronavirus czar. Here is a man who doesn’t believe in science leading the government’s response. Furthermore, while governor of Indiana, Pence fueled the worst HIV outbreak in the state’s history when he ignored the advice of state and federal health officials. He has denied that smoking kills, spread disinformation about condoms, and called global warming a “myth.”

If you don’t think any of this is a problem, listen to the press conference as Trump says ‘there are 15 cases, then there will be zero”. Then in the same press conference, PHS officials talk about ‘pandemic preparedness’. It is simply inappropriate and an embarrassment. I think the inherent danger of the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak is not excessive, but it might be in the hands of an inactive administration.

Where politics can play a major role in disease management.

WWW.VIROLOGY.WS

What does it mean when A CDC official says about the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic, We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad.”

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yes, Mike Pence...

_96853338_pence.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Spikecollie said:

There's another (not as good as Dean Koontz) but still very entertaining "Mass Extinction Event" by Amy Cross which is done in a series of books.

It kinda reminds me of the Captain Trips virus (which was, by the way, man-made) that played a crucial part in Stephen King's The Stand...Though, to be fair, the POTUS in Mr King's novel did have a brain!:shok:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted

Italians struggling for ICU beds in epicentre of outbreak.

"Unfortunately, another emergency broke out in Lodi last night. In Lodi suddenly yesterday afternoon there was a crowding of hospitalizations: 51 serious hospitalizations of which 17 in intensive care. Lodi does not have a sufficient number of intensive care rooms so they have been transferred to other intensive care units in the region ". This was explained by the president of Lombardy Attilio Fontana all 'Aria who pulls up La7 talking about coronavirus. "If you laughed less at the mask and looked at the problem more carefully I think it would be wise," he added.

How the hell anyone thinks the NHS can cope is beyond me.

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

NHS says system will struggle if more than 28 patients need artificial lung treatment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Anyone who has had it and survives it are in a better position than any of us, i am guessing they might then be immune to it - so while everyone else is scared to go anywhere and do anything they will have a massive advantage, they can go to work and 'choose' their job and dictate labour market while everyone else is staying at home, they can also start charging for delivering stuff to people who don't want to leave their houses and are panic buying - You will be able to fill your boots in a few months time.

The Chinese tell us 'the second time's the charm' (I did link to the research up thread?) as the body is so weakened by the drugs used to fight symptoms that the CFR is elevated for those 'second time arounders'?

It may be that ,as we are finding, they were never cured and that the virus 'rallies' and re-establishes into the second infection?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The Chinese tell us 'the second time's the charm' (I did link to the research up thread?) as the body is so weakened by the drugs used to fight symptoms that the CFR is elevated for those 'second time arounders'?

It may be that ,as we are finding, they were never cured and that the virus 'rallies' and re-establishes into the second infection?

what is the CFR?

Posted
Just now, thundercrazy said:

Case Fatality Rate

So we are absolutely buggered then - knew it all along, this really does have the hallmarks of something very suspicious indeed - told people all along - this is armageddon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
55 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Italians struggling for ICU beds in epicentre of outbreak.

How the hell anyone thinks the NHS can cope is beyond me.

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

NHS says system will struggle if more than 28 patients need artificial lung treatment

The NHS will fold. Even a blind man could see the carnage coming.

We are lucky we have the option to completely close the borders and isolate here in the UK but that option isn't being explored. I'd rather suffer 6 months of financial hardship than watch people around me die, scared I might be next.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

So we are absolutely buggered then - knew it all along, this really does have the hallmarks of something very suspicious indeed - told people all along - this is armageddon

We just have to hope if this does get out of hand that humanity will come together and help one another.

Hopefully it will not reach that stage?