Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
41 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I work in the care industry, and as a day care service, the in house carers cannot wait to send the folk they care for to us, regardless of whether they have the black death, common cold, or have limbs hanging off.

We literally get every bug going, so i fully expect that the virus will run through our workplace like wildfire.

Annoyingly, i'm just at the end of a 6 week long period off work after having an operation...... I bet you £10 I get a bug in the first couple of weeks back!

So, i know how you feel matey, makes you wonder whether it's worth the risk?

Exactly that mate, in my mind it just isn't worth the increased exposure for £9 an hour. I can get another job, I can't get another life.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Apparently if you over use them they can lead to skin losing some of its normal defence but a 60 percent minimum alcohol minimum does kill the virus . Some of the warnings against them are just silly .

Its not like you’re going to be handwiping yourself into submission in your own home. 

I do actually - and flashwipe items i buy as i am so sceceptible to these flu / flu /cold like viruses, tesco has now dropped the 'anti-bacterial' bit from its handwipes so no longer know whether they are effective or not.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

You don’t live in real world I know for sure those on zero hour contracts aren’t entitled to anything they only get paid for when they actively work aside from holiday pay, many employers don’t even give sick pay. It is the better off that will be fine. 

Hey, I do live in the real world and evidently know a lot more than you. Look out for the changes coming into effect in April, then you can PM me an apology. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Hey, I do live in the real world and evidently know a lot more than you. Look out for the changes coming into effect in April, then you can PM me an apology. 

OK goat I wait in intense anticipation. 

The world is at a critical juncture against the fight of this virus increasingly more and more cases have unknown origin, for some reason I don’t think it will be the roaring 20s.

• Like 2

Posted

Now here is a “surprise”

AgEXQXlQdE9mSFhuUkhpY0tBdVAyM0gyMkEAMA
APPLE.NEWS

At a time when everyone is looking for answers, bots are spreading lies about the coronavirus. The latest figures show there are now 60 confirmed cases of COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus, in the...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Early shop yesterday but still no hand sanitizer in Halifax Asda by that time.....but 'Bleach' is always there and will do the job (esp. around the home) as will Dettol.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

They'll be plenty of jobs once it ripped through the UK though so 'Result' eh? .....kind lof?

And I suspect the Job Centre will be like a COVID-19 breeding ground!

Time to retreat into the polytunnels (without the US-style assault rifles) perhaps?

Are we approaching a time when the long-lost and underappreciated skills, of old, are about to be revisited?

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Snipper said:

Is Cash going to become king I ponder?

Yep!   image.thumb.png.164bb592c2b45febc3bf0e3c6b20768d.png

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Are we approaching a time when the long-lost and underappreciated skills, of old, are about to be revisited?

Some of us never lost them nor dumped their emergency equipment. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think we need to start handing out the 'Doggy Lampshades' to folk?

That'll keep hands off faces and , when two folk meet, maintain the 6ft 'safe space.......

EDIT: and for those 'Fashion conscious' among us watch a few 'Queenie' Bladder episodes to see how you can dress it up (Esp. Lord Flashheart'.....)

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Unless of course you had record breaking snow depths like 3 metres over the whole country which lasted months and it was modelled well out, in that case everyone would have time to stock up and no one would be able to get out of their house for months otherwise they would suffocate, so spread would stop, that would be my ideal scenario.

3m's Feb?

3 cm's is normally sufficient to bring our transport systems to a grinding halt.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, swebby said:

3m's Feb?

3 cm's is normally sufficient to bring our transport systems to a grinding halt.

Yes but people would still go out then and would interact - houses covered would mean no choice but to stay in!

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Two more cases confirmed both were picked up in Iran. The patients are now in the Royal Free in London.

Good to see 'we' are still 'finding' the cases, and still cases are traceable back to source, so to speak. So, at the moment, and i stress AT THE MOMENT, UK is on top of the outbreak, but for how long?

Maybe our parents and grandparents were more aware than the same these days. When we were kids my dear mum used to put cotton around a spoon, a knife and a fork if me or any of my bros suddenly became ill with either a heavy cold or stomach bug, and used to keep those utensils on a paper cloth, separate from anything else in the kitchen.

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Saw this on the flu forum; posted by Italian doctor. It's going to make the CFR look horrendous.

Regards reinfection or dormancy, Chinese are putting some of the cured back into a 'cured quarantine' status as quite a few testing positive on follow up checks. 

That's good news GF, those figures coming out of Italy had me somewhat spooked. Japan is probably the one to watch at the moment for an indicator as to how nasty this thing actually is.  Manageable case numbers for the moment, high quality health service and presumably transparent reporting of numbers and case details.

In further potential good news - i spied this on the beeb live feed earlier.

Posted at 8:078:07

Recovered virus patients not infectious - China

Recovered coronavirus patients - who were discharged from hospital but later tested positive again - have been found not to be infectious, according to an official from China's National Health Commission.

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Gee whizz, who left that drawing-pin on my chair!:shok:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Some are not impressed with the CDC protocols in the States:

It probably doesn't help that you-know-who fired the White House officials responsible for co-ordinating a national response to a pandemic 2 years ago.

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Discussing what national governments are doing is fine if comments are kept at the government level, e.g. the UK government is right to be doing x or wrong to be doing y. What is not acceptable is to post a personal view regarding the rights/wrongs of communism, capitalism, Trump, Johnson, etc., etc. Let's keep this thread focused on facts and useful information and leave personal political preferences out of it please.

Agree in general, but ignoring the individual is a little tricky for the US (and maybe some authoritarian states run by individuals).  It is an election year in the US and it is generally accepted that US stock market performance plays a significant role on the re-election chances of an incumbent. Trumps responses to market movements and the virus spread is shaped by the fact he is facing election in 9 months, government policy will therefore be defined entirely by his personal ambition.  I think it is therefore fair to examine the logic of his actions, hopefully without crossing over into personal preferences on the man?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Some are not impressed with the CDC protocols in the States:

It probably doesn't help that you-know-who fired the White House officials responsible for co-ordinating a national response to a pandemic 2 years ago.

And how do we not mention the actions of powerful people, when those very actions can put the lives of millions of people at risk?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted

Maybe slightly relevant to this thread   but reports of Turkey allowing all migrants to pass without restriction to Europe   100s seen flocking to greece  as Turkey lifts restrictions   as the battle with Syria escalates.  I suppose it may well highten the risk of exposure   

• Like 1