Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
3 hours ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

No Sorry, does not work like that. Imagine the scenario:

You phone 111 because you have been in contact with someone you think or know has the Coronavirus. 111 will tell you to self isolate. You phone work and say you don't think you are sick but you have no choice but to comply with Government Statutory Law and self isolate for 14 days. You will be tested by the NHS, it comes back negative, you are not sick and are free to return to work. The employer has to pay you in full. I can't put it any more plainly. 

You don’t live in real world I know for sure those on zero hour contracts aren’t entitled to anything they only get paid for when they actively work aside from holiday pay, many employers don’t even give sick pay. It is the better off that will be fine. 

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Snipper said:

To be honest this seems a bit daft.

Who did the young and fit discuss the matter with? By letter? Word of mouth? Smoke signals?  Pigeon?

Would think the flow of information in 1918 was little better than nil.

They had telegrams and newspapers twice daily, it was hardly the dark ages

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, ciel said:

Apart from the fact that Trump has appointed a science sceptic to be in charge of the Covid-19 issues in the USA, of course he was right to advocate handwashing etc as a means of personal precaution from Covid infection, or indeed other infections such as flu. Dr Tedros and our own ‘experts’ have confirmed that.

However, having kept an eye on WHO pronouncements over the weeks, I see no other statements which would suggest that Dr Tedros does not consider Covid-19 to be a serious global threat, mainly because (as has been stated umpteen times on here) there is no vaccine available and no herd immunity.

It’s enlightening to note that some think an additional xK elderly or infirm persons are simply expendable because they, the some, believe that the novel Covid-19 is just another additional seasonal flu.

Indeed today Amanda Holden tweeted this new coronavirus is just like common flu with same death rate - after a lot of negative reaction she deleted the tweet. Grossly irresponsible putting that out to large audience. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted

It's not easy reading but the following article tries to explain why Covid-19 is more like SARS than flu in the damage wrought to the body in severe cases.

og_coronavirusbody_1198473034.ngsversion
WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

From blood storms to honeycomb lungs, here’s an organ-by-organ look at how COVID-19 harms humans.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So it's only 23 times a deadly as the usual seasonal flu, then? I guess a few folks will be way-out with their estimates of the final death toll?:oldsad:

Cue shouts of 'FAKE NEWS'!

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Maybe they were not clear in the first place, so perhaps not reinfection. Just saying.

I think this has to be the most likely scenario if that report from Japan is correct.

Current WHO situation report #37 for Japan has the following:

164 confirmed cases, 116 of which are likely infections taking place within Japan.

(You also have 691 infections on the Diamond princess.)

Now unless she has a close family member who is also infected, it is hard to see how she can just randomly bump into another carrier and get reinfected.  So in this instance, if they can eliminate the likelihood of a very close acquaintance being a carrier, then dormancy or questions over the "all clear" tests are the only remaining explanation.

Allowing recovered individuals out into the public may now be a no no?

• Like 3

Posted

Case confirmed in Northern Ireland now

Edited by bobbarley
  • Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Surely loads more people in Italy have it then what is known going by death toll up to 17

You would hope so, bad news if the case # is accurate.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

No Sorry, does not work like that. Imagine the scenario:

You phone 111 because you have been in contact with someone you think or know has the Coronavirus. 111 will tell you to self isolate. You phone work and say you don't think you are sick but you have no choice but to comply with Government Statutory Law and self isolate for 14 days. You will be tested by the NHS, it comes back negative, you are not sick and are free to return to work. The employer has to pay you in full. I can't put it any more plainly. 

According to the legal experts on Radio 4 today, The employer does not have to pay you anything unless you are actually ill, complying with the law on isolation is irrelevant. You are able to make a claim for universal credit though for that period (if you can be bothered with all the form filling)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Maybe they were not clear in the first place, so perhaps not reinfection. Just saying.

I agree but may be it shut down then re awoke. It wouldn't be the only pathogen that can do that. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Can only see this getting much worse in the coming weeks. Is the economy (money) that much more important than saving lives?? 

I have no idea why borders are not being closed.

They need to get that vaccine ready pronto.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I agree but may be it shut down then re awoke. It wouldn't be the only pathogen that can do that. 

I just think the 'tests' we use are not infallible and cases testing negative have been shown to be 'positive'. A low viral load, post infection, may well be able to 'flare up' again if given a chance to?

Sadly we have seen evidence that some of our 'cures' for the symptom management leave weakness in some of the vital organs and so 'second time's a charm'...... I'd like to see up to date CFR's for '2nd infections'......

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Can only see this getting much worse in the coming weeks. Is the economy (money) that much more important than saving lives?? 

Thats a tough one though.

Do you cause a massive economy crash, untold misery to millions, and put massive strain on emergency services due to extra policing, riots/public order etc etc, because of a virus that could kill 5% of the population? (random worst case figure) UK figures wise, its relatively minor at the moment. Now it almost certainly will get worse (as in number of cases), but how worse, no one knows. 

I personally am not fussed either way. Close the entire country off, doesnt bother me (would solve the immigrant problem lol), but it WILL cause MASSIVE problems across the board, so shutting the country down is probably out of the question. Whether thats right or not, I dont know, but I doubt any country could survive being shut down completely, borders wise anyway.

Edited by emax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
27 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Would certainly stop unnecessary travel like people shantying it up in Ibiza, the same people who whilst trying to stop people making totally unavoidable travel in cars to work everyday based on what it can do to the environment are travelling on non-taxed aviation fuel.

Posted
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Would certainly stop unnecessary travel like people shantying it up in Ibiza, the same people who whilst trying to stop people making totally unavoidable travel in cars to work everyday based on what it can do to the environment are travelling on non-taxed aviation fuel.

Overseas travel for the masses is one of life's little luxuries, which in days gone by was only available to the elite rich.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Do we now have the legal right to actually shut down travel now we have left the EU, or won't that apply until the ful withdrawal later this year? Just thinking in case this gets really bad so we can just shut down airports and the channel tunnel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Can folk please refrain from making political comment in this thread (indeed any Netweather thread) or I'm afraid your post will disappear. Thank you.

Isn't political comment inherent to this discussion in that people need to comment on what individual national governments are doing, their own and others - from my days as a student, I believe it's called "comparative politics"...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Isn't political comment inherent to this discussion in that people need to comment on what individual national governments are doing, their own and others - from my days as a student, I believe it's called "comparative politics"...

Correct but we've been here before with AGW and unsustainable 'Do's and Don'ts' have we not?

Control is not possible in a World controlled by the great God '$' and pretty soon folk will die because some sad sack has 'collected' monies that should have been paid into the National purse..... Nuff Said!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Correct but we've been here before with AGW and unsustainable 'Do's and Don'ts' have we not?

Control is not possible in a World controlled by the great God '$' and pretty soon folk will die because some sad sack has 'collected' monies that should have been paid into the National purse..... Nuff Said!

What Sir Thomas More would have called 'a conspiracy of rich men seeking their commodities'... men without conscience?

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Do we now have the legal right to actually shut down travel now we have left the EU, or won't that apply until the ful withdrawal later this year? Just thinking in case this gets really bad so we can just shut down airports and the channel tunnel.

Would have to get around the human rights laws first.

You would hope though if anything got so bad emergency powers (akin to war status)  would be activated to circumvent existing agreements.

• Like 1