Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
6 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

It's not what employers should get, it's statutory law if in fact you wasn't sick. Read my previous posts. 

I'd take them to court in an instant if it turned out I wasn't sick and didn't have the Coronavirus and win. 

But  if you  self isolate  then you are sick.   you may not have Coronavirus  but there must be something wrong with you in the first place.  Even if it is just a common cold   Unless you mean  self isolating  because you have visited a hot spot for coronavirus    but even then  i dont think Employers  should have to pay for that 

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Yes.  Too many experts who are not in the firing line. 

Who needs experts, when the likes of Donald Trump (and countless other like-minded halfwits) are forever on-hand...Virus? What virus!:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Snipper said:

A hoped for chance that a vaccine could be made, manufactured and used if a delay in spread could occur?

Agreed, Snipper...That's why I'll support any government measures (within reason, of course) intended to slow down the spread of COVID-19.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, weirpig said:

But  if you  self isolate  then you are sick.   you may not have Coronavirus  but there must be something wrong with you in the first place.  Even if it is just a common cold   Unless you mean  self isolating  because you have visited a hot spot for coronavirus    but even then  i dont think Employers  should have to pay for that 

No Sorry, does not work like that. Imagine the scenario:

You phone 111 because you have been in contact with someone you think or know has the Coronavirus. 111 will tell you to self isolate. You phone work and say you don't think you are sick but you have no choice but to comply with Government Statutory Law and self isolate for 14 days. You will be tested by the NHS, it comes back negative, you are not sick and are free to return to work. The employer has to pay you in full. I can't put it any more plainly. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

No Sorry, does not work like that. Imagine the scenario:

You phone 111 because you have been in contact with someone you think or know has the Coronavirus. 111 will tell you to self isolate. You phone work and say you don't think you are sick but you have no choice but to comply with Government Statutory Law and self isolate for 14 days. You will be tested by the NHS, it comes back negative, you are not sick and are free to return to work. The employer has to pay you in full. I can't put it any more plainly. 

But thats stupid  no employer should have to pay for that   If it gets worse   and say the whole of Brum is under lock down   do you expect companies to pay there employees in full for self isolating?.    Thats plain daft 

Companies would fold 

Edited by weirpig

Posted

I’m just back from Tenerife and half my staff want me to self isolate despite no symptoms, the panic has started!

Edited by Blessed Weather
Political comment removed.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, weirpig said:

But thats stupid  no employer should have to pay for that   If it gets worse   and say the whole of Brum is under lock down   do you expect companies to pay there employees in full for self isolating?.    Thats plain daft 

Companies would fold 

Yes, I agree, but you can't argue with stat law - How many people do you know who have done this? Or did you know about this before I told you? No, and i'd say 99% of the UK won't do it either. Those who are either savvy or useless will. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Cringeworthy isn’t it and the highlighted bit is soooooo correct - don’t think there will ever be a vaccination forthcoming for that though.  All the name labelling of world leaders in here this week has not been worthy of adult conversation and yet some were admonished earlier in the week for a sense of humour.    Trump, in my humble view (whatever people feel about him politically or personally - I have no view) is sensible to try and bring a bit of calm into the equation for the sake of international markets.  Many thousands of people, which includes me, will have pensions and incomes linked to stock/markets etc.  The FTSE fell enough the other day due to virus fear mongering and many people are likely, as a consequence, to see their income affected.  

Edit:  I’ve also put my tin hat on waiting for the responses.

And today, WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said

US President Donald Trump was not wrong to compare the new coronavirus to flu.

"If I’m asked to advise communities about to prevent this virus, I would give them the same advice as I give for flu – wash hands with soap, don't touch your face, keep 6ft distance etc," he said at the daily WHO press conference.

Mr Trump said on Wednesday that the coronavirus should be treated like flu.

In the absence of a vaccine, "the president is right to say that," Dr Tedros said.

Source: BBC news website

Edited by Blessed Weather
Political comment removed.
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Astral Goat Juice said:

Yes, I agree, but you can't argue with stat law - How many people do you know who have done this? Or did you know about this before I told you? No, and i'd say 99% of the UK won't do it either. Those who are either savvy or useless will. 

Yes i didnt  know   However if people start using this  then i expect  Special Government legislation to kick in.   Anyway  lets hope it does not get to that level   

Posted
4 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Agree with the bold part! 

On the topic of the Coronavirus, I have just seen news the Pope isn't too shabby.... 

Yes i saw that headline  along with a picture of him blowing his nose.   Followed by the below.   he should have  god on his side  he will be fine. 

During the audience, Francis made a point to shake hands with the faithful in the front row, kissed a baby during his popemobile spin through St. Peter’s Square and greeted visiting bishops at the end. The prelates, however, appeared to be refraining from kissing his ring or embracing him, as they normally would do.

Gulp

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted

Special offer from Wuhan market.  Was going to add they were going cheap but it doesn’t work with ducks. 

25272666-0-image-a-74_1582811699230.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The legion of lotus-eating waterfowl will be sent from the eastern province of Zhejiang following the earlier dispatch of a team of Chinese experts to Pakistan to advise on the infestation.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, emax said:

But you just more or less said it spreads no matter what? If quarantining and restricting methods wouldnt of worked in china a month before they finally acknowledged it, when the virus was relatively small and localised, then why bother now when its spread around the globe? Going by your theory, its just a waste of time to try to even slow it down?

Think you may have confused what i have said? Stopping something from spreading is entirely different to controlling the rate at which it spreads through a population. 

Something this commutable, popping up in the centre of a massive city, is never likely to be contained without a great deal of luck on our side. You ask if it could have been locally contained in China, i would point to what is happening in South Korea and Italy. These are two first world economies, with modern health systems that were, unlike China, forewarned about the virus and yet it looks like it may be going through exponential growth in both countries? so expecting a different outcome in China is not equitable thinking.

Slowing the rate at which it moves through a population however is something that can be achieved. If you do this you can keep infrastructure running, basically muddling along whilst also buying time for vaccine development.  

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Special offer from Wuhan market.  Was going to add they were going cheap but it doesn’t work with ducks. 

25272666-0-image-a-74_1582811699230.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

The legion of lotus-eating waterfowl will be sent from the eastern province of Zhejiang following the earlier dispatch of a team of Chinese experts to Pakistan to advise on the infestation.

You'd be "quackers" to refuse the offer of help?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Can folk please refrain from making political comment in this thread (indeed any Netweather thread) or I'm afraid your post will disappear. Thank you.

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, swebby said:

Think you may have confused what i have said? Stopping something from spreading is entirely different to controlling the rate at which it spreads through a population. 

Something this commutable, popping up in the centre of a massive city, is never likely to be contained without a great deal of luck on our side. You ask if it could have been locally contained in China, i would point to what is happening in South Korea and Italy. These are two first world economies, with modern health systems that were, unlike China, forewarned about the virus and yet it looks like it may be going through exponential growth in both countries? so expecting a different outcome in China is not equitable thinking.

Slowing the rate at which it moves through a population however is something that can be achieved. If you do this you can keep infrastructure running, basically muddling along whilst also buying time for vaccine development.  

Also hind sight is very good after the event. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Been just enough time for them to catch something so they can go and spread what they have elsewhere. Hopefully me being cynical does not turn out to be true. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, weirpig said:

Seems ok to me   50 pounds a day is decent.  most companies only pay SSP  which is way less 

£50 a DAY is freeking amazing, SSP is just over £90 for an entire week!

EDIT: If we take that into hypothetical consideration as an actual wage working full time (38 hours over 5 days) that would work out at just over £6.30 an hour for sitting on your backside at home

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

But I thought they had mixed with the others, or may be the ones that were queuing and swimming and stuff were from this group, and the others were made to stay in rooms, who knows anymore. 

• Like 1

Posted

Apart from the fact that Trump has appointed a science sceptic to be in charge of the Covid-19 issues in the USA, of course he was right to advocate handwashing etc as a means of personal precaution from Covid infection, or indeed other infections such as flu. Dr Tedros and our own ‘experts’ have confirmed that.

However, having kept an eye on WHO pronouncements over the weeks, I see no other statements which would suggest that Dr Tedros does not consider Covid-19 to be a serious global threat, mainly because (as has been stated umpteen times on here) there is no vaccine available and no herd immunity.

It’s enlightening to note that some think an additional xK elderly or infirm persons are simply expendable because they, the some, believe that the novel Covid-19 is just another additional seasonal flu.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 5