Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hundreds of tourists at a hotel in Tenerife are being tested for the coronavirus after a confirmed case in the resort of Adeje.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

A TENERIFE hotel is on lockdown after an Italian tourist tested positive for coronavirus.

Around 1,000 holidaymakers staying at the hotel are said to have been quarantined inside the complex in the past few hours.

NINTCHDBPICT000565851670.jpg?strip=all&q
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

A TENERIFE hotel is on lockdown after an Italian tourist tested positive for coronavirus. Around 1,000 holidaymakers staying at the hotel are said to have been...

I take it that could include brits. I hope this quarantine works better than the cruise ship one. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

THe asymptomatic spread means all our 'Winter Sun' visitors will potentially run the gauntlet in virus rich environment as they pass through the airports they travel from? Be it from passengers directly or via hard surface self infection as they sit waiting for flights.

The will just be becoming 'ripe' for symptoms as they return home ( if away for 2 weeks?) with a full viral load as they return to our shores and find their way home...... those who did a 'half term' get-away are already back among us and actively spreading...

I still think we must accept 'exposure' and catching covid-19? You have 3 choices;

1/ Catch it early and have a functioning Health Service in case you're a '1 in 5'

2/fall victim over 'peak infection' , have no functioning health service, empty shop shelves and civil unrest

3/ hibernate until peak infection is through and things are back up and running?

If you think this Govt. will have any aid , come the time it is most needed, WAKE UP!!!!

• Like 4

Posted

Yeah!!!

With one flourish of the pen the spectre of 'pandemic' is removed!!!

cnbc_logo.gif?v=1524171804
WWW.CNBC.COM

GENEVA, Feb 24- The World Health Organization no longer uses the term pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international...

• Like 4

Posted

On a personal note

If my condition is what becomes of being 'highly stressed' when a virus clobbers you I'd advise all those who feel their lives leave them 'stressed/anxious' to start some form of 'relaxation techniques' and stick with them!

Don't 'self medicate with a few glasses of wine a night (you can do that too.....I'm not trying to be a 'kill joy'!!!) but please 'DO' try and get chill so your auto immune system isn't suffering the impacts of your 'fight or flight' response?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Breaking news that a case is now confirmed in Sicily.
Italy having a rough time .

B.

• Like 4

Posted

Iran up to 16 deaths now, highest outside of China. It looks like the monitoring of the virus in Iran may leave a lot to be desired so their true number of cases could be worryingly high. It is not a stretch of the imagination for Iran to be the source of the cases not linked to China. NB - Iran is he worlds leading producer of pistachios',  Italy is the globes 7th highest consumer of pistachios, so trade links like this may be the common denominator?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
51 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I take it that could include brits. I hope this quarantine works better than the cruise ship one. 

Can I say that this event needs watching. It looks isolated, but having been to the hotel for golfing holidays (it has a golf course relatively 'on site'), it has implications  -  It on both occasions I was there had about 50% British guests.

The golf course  is also popular with 'ex-pats' out on Teneriffe!

If all the residents are being tested, then can I suggest that following the cruise ship experience,  we should get the tested negative guests out asap, and then self isolate them. If we leave it later we may well find that we need to quarantine about 500 Brits!.

I think that this time we need to take quick action if we are not to place the UK under a big risk of the virus reaching the UK in a big way.

MIA 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

THe asymptomatic spread means all our 'Winter Sun' visitors will potentially run the gauntlet in virus rich environment as they pass through the airports they travel from? Be it from passengers directly or via hard surface self infection as they sit waiting for flights.

The will just be becoming 'ripe' for symptoms as they return home ( if away for 2 weeks?) with a full viral load as they return to our shores and find their way home...... those who did a 'half term' get-away are already back among us and actively spreading...

I still think we must accept 'exposure' and catching covid-19? You have 3 choices;

1/ Catch it early and have a functioning Health Service in case you're a '1 in 5'

2/.....

This is a case of the early bird so to speak.

In many counties, a lot of the quarantine measures that will be put in place will probably not be aimed at stopping it (that ship has sailed), but to slow the rate of progress in order that health services and other national infrastructure systems are able to cope.  

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Can I say that this event needs watching. It looks isolated, but having been to the hotel for golfing holidays (it has a golf course relatively 'on site'), it has implications  -  It on both occasions I was there had about 50% British guests.

If all the residents are being tested, then can I suggest that following the cruise ship experience,  we should get the tested negative guests out asap, and then self isolate them. If we leave it later we may well find that we need to quarantine about 500 Brits!.

I think that this time we need to take quick action if we are not to place the UK under a big risk of the virus reaching the UK in a big way.

MIA 

Who will have possibly returned in the past few days with the end of half term holiday week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Austria has confirmed its first 2 coronavirus cases whilst Croatia has confirmed its first case.

132 passengers and crew on a Turkish Airlines plane from Tehran are in quarantine for 14 days in a hospital in Ankara.

• Like 2

Posted

From the Gurniaad

"A school in Cheshire has been forced to close amid concerns that students returning to the UK from a ski trip to Italy could be infected with Coronavirus.

Cransley School, in Northwich, took the decision to close the school after NHS clinical services advised any staff or pupils who went on a ski-trip to Bormio to self-isolate.

A number of students are believed to be experiencing symptoms of the virus after visiting the area in the Lombardy region where hundreds of residents have contracted the deadly infection.
"

3021.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Outbreaks confirmed in new countries as Iran’s deputy health minister reportedly also tests positive for coronavirus

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIA 

That would seem totally logical and the best course of action so therefore won’t happen !

The UK government response both to the initial situation in Wuhan and the cruise ship in Japan was woeful .

They only did something when they were shamed into it and saw other countries taking action .

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Will employers be sympathetic to workers who want to self isolate . And even if they are will those who’ve been to that region want to self isolate .

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Will employers be sympathetic to workers who want to self isolate . And even if they are will those who’ve been to that region want to self isolate .

Lets say you run a SME of 100-200 people and 1 or 2 of those are parents of kids at the school.  If you ask those two employees to carry on working, and then they become symptomatic, you could be shut down for two weeks as a result. If i was the boss, i'd suggest to those employees they will be taking an extra two/three weeks of holiday with immediate effect.

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

This is a case of the early bird so to speak.

In many counties, a lot of the quarantine measures that will be put in place will probably not be aimed at stopping it (that ship has sailed), but to slow the rate of progress in order that health services and other national infrastructure systems are able to cope.  

I'm sorry but i cannot remove our glorious 'Unfettered Capitalism' from the way the globe reacts to this outbreak?

Financial markets are already 'catching a cold' from Covid-19 and as noted , upthread, 'Just in Time' operations are feeling the impacts?

With Chineses impacts now restricting global exports for over 6 weeks what do folk expect. Of course I mooted in the early days of the thread that this was going to become our reality and was talked down by those who 'thought themselves clever' believing their great god 'Global Capitalism' was far too powerful to succumb..... well how does that all look today?

How does all the '2 weeks self isolation', on the back of your vacation sound?( esp. if you are then a '1 in 5' and grace the ICU for 3 weeks post your self isolation only to be informed that you need another 2 weeks 'self isolation ' as you can still be spreading once recovered....) ...... and what of the 800,000 'zero hours folk? Can they afford to 'self isolate' when any claim for benefits takes up to 4 months and is then paid 1 month in arrears?

As I've been saying this is not good and the penny finally appears to be dropping for more and more in here!

1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Employers have no choice. If you phone 111 and say you think you have the coronavirus, they will advise you to self isolate. You do this for 14 days. 

At the end of your 14 days you go back to work,you didnt have the Coronavirus and you wasnt therefore sick, you just complied with statutory government advice and your employer will have to pay you in FULL. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, swebby said:

From the Gurniaad

"A school in Cheshire has been forced to close amid concerns that students returning to the UK from a ski trip to Italy could be infected with Coronavirus.

Cransley School, in Northwich, took the decision to close the school after NHS clinical services advised any staff or pupils who went on a ski-trip to Bormio to self-isolate.

A number of students are believed to be experiencing symptoms of the virus after visiting the area in the Lombardy region where hundreds of residents have contracted the deadly infection.
"

3021.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Outbreaks confirmed in new countries as Iran’s deputy health minister reportedly also tests positive for coronavirus

Oh no. 

Posted
comp-1582633674_1582637103.png?w=1200&h=
METRO.CO.UK

A hotel in Tenerife has gone into lockdown after a guest tested positive for the disease.

Posted

Anyone returning to the UK from parts of northern Italy now on lockdown because of coronavirus must self-isolate, the chief medical officer has said.

The government has updated its travel advice as Italy scrambles to contain an outbreak that has now spread south, after the first positive case was confirmed in Sicily.

Travellers - even those without symptoms - coming home to Britain from specific areas have been told to stay indoors, avoid contact with other people and call NHS 111.

The big Qs are "Would you?" and how many already back in the UK or about to return to the UK will bother?