Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Unless this virus behaves in a very weird way then transmission rates should fall in spring/summer .

Warmer conditions mean the virus will have a harder time staying airborne . Also the virus likes to enter the nasal passage and multiply there , the nose is the coldest part of the body , a cold nose in winter is the perfect breeding ground for the virus .

Of course close contact and being coughed or sneezed on won’t be mitigated by warmer conditions but general transmission will be more difficult .

Does Norovirus go away in summer?  

Other means of contamination are now considered to be urine and crap.....don't read on if you've having/just had your lunch.

PUBSONLINE.INFORMS.ORG

While a sneeze or a cough by someone infected with a “respiratory disease” can only infect others within a few meters, the virus-laden gaseous plume from an infected person having diarrhea can infect others up to 200 meters.

I'll be avoiding public toilets for the forseeable and watch those farts too ...

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Other means of contamination are now considered to be urine and crap.....don't read on if you've having/just had your lunch.

PUBSONLINE.INFORMS.ORG

I'll be avoiding public toilets for the forseeable and watch those farts too ...

I understand the MERS virus actually thrived in hot weather. And so I suppose it is a question of wait and see regarding Covid-19.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

PUBSONLINE.INFORMS.ORG

Yes, its those big dirty stomach bug farts that people keep letting off in public places, they are deadly, you can smell them for about 15 minutes afterwards,.

Posted
14 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I can still recall visiting Bletchley's meat market, as a child, back in the early 1960s: pigs, cattle, sheep and goats, all confined in adjacent, filthy pens; and the biggest treat of all? Being allowed to watch the headless chickens run around in circles!...And you should see some of the filthy practices that still go-on inside British abattoirs!

It ain't that long, since we ourselves partook of some rather unwholesome/highly questionable practices, regarding our food-production...?

Not forgetting about all those nasties which require to be washed off American chicken carcasses on account of gross husbandry practices over there.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, its those big dirty stomach bug farts that people keep letting off in public places, they are deadly, you can smell them for about 15 minutes afterwards,.

I cannot get the article to embed properly but the quote is ...

As far as this author can ascertain (as of Feb. 14, our submission date), the virus-laden gaseous plumes of Amoy Gardens of Hong Kong have not yet been viewed as problematic (with a breaking news exception, as noted below). One does not even have be at a toilet to expel intestinal gas (flatulence), and the typical adult will do this 12 to 25 times a day, producing 0.6 to 1.8 liters of gas [9]. The airborne fecal route may also explain some family-wide infections of the virus, all using the same bathroom, all breathing the same air [10]. Perhaps the infections started with one family member with no visible (respiratory) symptoms. These alternative spreading ideas are not in any way “scientific findings,” only issues worthy of further research. Only research will determine how infectious each type of gas can be.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
38 minutes ago, ciel said:

Not forgetting about all those nasties which require to be washed off American chicken carcasses on account of gross husbandry practices over there.

When I worked as a QA, in a factory producing ready-to-eat food, I would often catch folks hoping to avoid washing their hands, having just had a #2!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, ciel said:

I understand the MERS virus actually thrived in hot weather. And so I suppose it is a question of wait and see regarding Covid-19.

MERS is really specific to that region and is much less contagious. Generally though Coronaviruses prefer conditions that are less warm and less humid .

There are many factors that contribute to lower rates in the summer , lifestyle , school closures etc . The longevity of the virus on hard surfaces is also shortened in warmer and more humid conditions .

I agree it’s a wait and see but the overall scientific opinion is that the virus is more likely to diminish during the summer in our neck of the woods .

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

MERS is really specific to that region and is much less contagious. Generally though Coronaviruses prefer conditions that are less warm and less humid .

There are many factors that contribute to lower rates in the summer , lifestyle , school closures etc . The longevity of the virus on hard surfaces is also shortened in warmer and more humid conditions .

I agree it’s a wait and see but the overall scientific opinion is that the virus is more likely to diminish during the summer in our neck of the woods .

in the UK i suppose it depends whether we have a summer like the last 2 or a typical one, a Greenland high and cool showery bursts and 15c the whole summer,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Interesting

VIRALZONE.EXPASY.ORG

A knowledge resource to understand virus diversity

• Like 2

Posted

At the risk of being shot down in flames I have been checking out my masks. Unfortunately the one I have is so old the elastic is all perished. Comments from the family have included have your joined the Bad Breath Boys Club? No respect. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

I'm not sure there is much of a scientific consensus as to "why" viruses are seasonal, just that many clearly are, and some are probably not. 

There are so many different variables at play, and that these may then differ from virus to virus, that it becomes impossible to say for any new virus that it will struggle come summer. It will be a case of crossing our fingers and then we will see what we see.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, swebby said:

I'm not sure there is much of a scientific consensus as to "why" viruses are seasonal, just that many clearly are, and some are probably not. 

There are so many different variables at play, and that these may then differ from virus to virus, that it becomes impossible to say for any new virus that it will struggle come summer. It will be a case of crossing our fingers and then we will see what we see.

does-cold-air-kill-germs-what-about-heat
AIRFUJI.COM

Ever wonder why does the flu spread in the winter? Shouldn't the freezing cold temperature kill the germs? Can heat do the job instead?

• Like 1

Posted

As nCov is said to be from the Betacoronavirus family, out of interest I've highlighted the other nine in the group.

bcov.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Cruelty wise yes - people in glasses shouldn't throw stones but hygiene wise i doubt our practises compare to china's, although i think practises in small butcher shops are poor over here, they use the same instruments to serve different types of meat, alse the pork pies and cooked food etc are far too close to raw meat for my liking.

Not a red meat eater so I agree. I have visited an abattoir in Ireland and believe me, you might change your eating habits if you did. The Chinese have different cultural eating habits which we cannot condemn as ours are not by any means brilliant. I wish we could all go back to keeping and slaughtering our own animals - my father taught me how to prepare rabbits and I've done it on many dog caught ones. Kind of like growing your own fruit and veg., you know what goes in (within reason, because rain is not "organic").

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Not a red meat eater so I agree. I have visited an abattoir in Ireland and believe me, you might change your eating habits if you did. The Chinese have different cultural eating habits which we cannot condemn as ours are not by any means brilliant. I wish we could all go back to keeping and slaughtering our own animals - my father taught me how to prepare rabbits and I've done it on many dog caught ones. Kind of like growing your own fruit and veg., you know what goes in (within reason, because rain is not "organic").

I will always be a meatarian myself and love red meat but you cannot have a go at the Chinese for eating dogs and eat meat yourself, yes i know dogs are cute lovely animals and farm animals are big lumps that just poo but they are still living things.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I will always be a meatarian myself and love red meat but you cannot have a go at the Chinese for eating dogs and eat meat yourself, yes i know dogs are cute lovely animals and farm animals are big lumps that just poo but they are still living things.

Eating is very culturally relative. Pigs have been compared in intelligence to dogs and I see all living things as sentient, which is why I respect my animal based food and take care to look at where it comes from. I would prefer to kill my own but at the moment this is not always practical. I had a near meltdown at a work banquet in in China when faced with sea-slug/cucumber and had to say no because the thought repulsed me, because my culture doesn't eat it. Many Chinese people (and those from other culture) dislike what and how we eat and the thought repulsed me. That's not including religious preferences...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
10 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Eating is very culturally relative. Pigs have been compared in intelligence to dogs and I see all living things as sentient, which is why I respect my animal based food and take care to look at where it comes from. I would prefer to kill my own but at the moment this is not always practical. I had a near meltdown at a work banquet in in China when faced with sea-slug/cucumber and had to say no because the thought repulsed me, because my culture doesn't eat it. Many Chinese people (and those from other culture) dislike what and how we eat and the thought repulsed me. That's not including religious preferences...

It is - and that is why i eat stuff like sunday dinners, fish and chips etc, because i am sick of people tring deliberately to erode at British culture by making out it  bad on health grounds and all these mediterranean restaurants opening everywhere and chip shops and pubs closing one by one, then they are now after McDonalds and Kentucky as well trying to stop us eating burgers.

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It is - and that is why i eat stuff like sunday dinners, fish and chips etc, because i am sick of people tring deliberately to erode at British culture by making out it  bad on health grounds and all these mediterranean restaurants opening everywhere and chip shops and pubs closing one by one, then they are now after McDonalds and Kentucky as well trying to stop us eating burgers.

It's also personally relative too, which makes things even more complicated! I respect your choices, even though they might not be mine. That's what we lack in the world!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
52 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I get what you're saying, feb, as I'm not exactly the healthiest eater in the world myself...Five bits of rabbit food each day? You cannot be serious!

But, neither do I ever go to the local pub. Why should I? I don't like pubs. But I'm not deliberately trying to erode British culture; it's just that there's more choice, these days. And what could be culturally more British than choice?:oldgrin:

Culture, be it food, fads or 'traditions' changes over time...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
4409.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The RFU is in talks with the Six Nations organisers amid concerns Italy’s games against Ireland and England could be hit by the outbreak

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A TENERIFE hotel is on lockdown after an Italian tourist tested positive for coronavirus.

Around 1,000 holidaymakers staying at the hotel are said to have been quarantined inside the complex in the past few hours.

NINTCHDBPICT000565851670.jpg?strip=all&q
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

A TENERIFE hotel is on lockdown after an Italian tourist tested positive for coronavirus. Around 1,000 holidaymakers staying at the hotel are said to have been...

• Like 1