Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Some good news?

669b05d0bfb68e0028a395fee51c6c025e514b4c
WWW.BERNAMA.COM

COVID-19, Lee Boon Chye, men, women, death rate, M

Wells Snips, there's nothing like looking for advantage in adversity..... and that's nothing like looking for advantage in......... (LOL)

Posted

Is this a failure in the testing kits or has Japan got a lot of explaining to do to the Nations they returned supposedly 'virus free' passengers to?

22931415-1-1024x640.jpg
JEWISHNEWS.TIMESOFISRAEL.COM

Woman who returned after two weeks quarantined on a cruise ship will remain in isolation 
null
WWW.SCMP.COM

60-year-old patient is first known case of infection among those allowed to go home after quarantine period 23 other passengers released without being...

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
voa1582378517.jpg
WWW.SOUTHKOREANEWS.NET

GENEVA - The head of the World Health Organization says he fears the increase in the number of cases of coronavirus in Iran c
82fa0a21-4b82-4baf-a9f0-8d7eed94921a-AFP
EU.CINCINNATI.COM

While coronavirus has not spread in the United States, CDC officials said they're preparing for the coronavirus to become a pandemic.

I get the feeling we should ALL be preparing for what we are being told will inevitably arise?

It is a good job that our NetW folk will have this thread to resort to if ,or when, need arises?

There are some quality posts on here and , 'forewarned IS forearmed' is it not?

EDIT: Italy now has 51 confirmed cases;

a55df34ea80f0ef3db4ac8b0044d3a34
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

(Bloomberg) -- Iran, Italy and South Korea all reported additional deaths from the coronavirus, stoking further alarm about the jump in infections outside China, with...

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
18 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Sadly part of the P.S.V. H1N1 'Blessed' me with was disturbed sleep patterns so though 'knackered' from the moment I open my eyes there is no rest?

Maybe this virus will leave enough folk suffering similar that we can not just be 'dismissed' as 'Fakers'/'Hypochondriac's' ?

There's nothing hypochondriac about post-viral syndromes. I was ill for five weeks back in 2011 after 'flu - a cough that wouldn't go, sleeplessness, fatigue.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I suffered a bad virus towards the end of university, a respiratory virus (after already succumbing to swine flu) and ever since I've been living my life feeling drained on a daily basis. Severe and chronic fatigue, aching limbs at times and just a daily feeling of being slightly under the weather. 

I put this down to my anxiety and bouts of depression but hearing about CFS and post viral issues on here, I'm wondering whether i've been permanently afflicted by whatever that virus was.

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks Spike but I was as guilty as the next person for 'doubting' others pain/disabilities?

Both with my back issues before I suffered two prolapsed lumbar discs and with the impacts of 'Yuppie Flu' before I got knobbled with autoimmune issues myself I'm sorry to say?

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I suffered a bad virus towards the end of university, a respiratory virus (after already succumbing to swine flu) and ever since I've been living my life feeling drained on a daily basis. Severe and chronic fatigue, aching limbs at times and just a daily feeling of being slightly under the weather. 

I put this down to my anxiety and bouts of depression but hearing about CFS and post viral issues on here, I'm wondering whether i've been permanently afflicted by whatever that virus was.

It was termed 'Yuppie Flu' in the mid 80's as folk working in the Financial Markets (high 'pressured' jobs) were succumbing to it. For my part the high stresses of caring for Luke probably lined me up for it but if you too were suffering high stress/anxiety levels then you may well have suffered similar.

It must be tied into 'fight or flight's' impact on the immune system (it effectively turns it off? ...no use running it and wasting resources when you're escaping the clutches of a cave Bear eh?)

I think the spike in numbers suffering symptoms, post H1N1, means it is taken more seriously and research is well under way so we may find better relief than the old 'Live within the restrictions of your symptoms' most end up with as a final diagnosis?

But then , for a good number, it clears up within the first 2 years....if not you may be stuck with it (as my G.P. jollily informed me when we'd run out of tests to try/meds to trial!)

Keep on Keepin' on eh?

Good Luck with it all!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Just in case you are starting to take this more seriously;

2019-coronavirus.png
WWW.CDC.GOV

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

To put a bit of perspective on this

fb-mnet-default.jpg
WWW.MEDICINENET.COM

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000...

• Like 1

Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, The PIT said:

To put a bit of perspective on this

fb-mnet-default.jpg
WWW.MEDICINENET.COM

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year, according to a new estimate that's higher than the previous one of 250,000 to 500,000...

Indeed Pit, perspective.

This is a 'Novel' virus ( unlike flu) that no human has defences against. We , to date, cannot give folk partial immunity by a targeted 'jab' each autumn.

We are left listening to the information China 'allows' us and that itself makes for grim reading.

Should , as appears increasingly likely, it go full blown pandemic, then up to 70% of the Global population will suffer it

You look up the CFR for 'seasonal flu' in an 'average year' (I take your data is not from a 'serious outbreak' year?) and compare that to the lowest CFR you can find for Covid-19 then times that up by up to 70% of the global population and your numbers appear , quite frankly, trivial do they not?

We are not there yet but , as W.H.O. told us yesterday, our chances of avoiding Pandemic are fast disappearing.

You are aware of the health service, or at least were whilst you were an unpaid carer, so explain to me how , over peak infection ,the 20% of cases that are deemed serious enough to require hospital treatment, will fare esp. if we see a similar rate of infection among hospital staff as we do in China?

Let us not die from ignorance eh? and let us not try and play down something as serious as the numbers you will encounter on doing the maths for the above CFR (even if you limit that to the UK) over peak infection (and ignoring all the other 'life threatening' conditions that any failure of NHS abilities to treat will drive?)

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 7

Posted

Being one who has always been interested in alternative medicine I have been checking out what I should do. Apparently garlic is no good nor a a hamster up your bottom. 

So have tried my last batch of sloe gin.  Certainly hits the spot. Might not cure  the virus but you wouldn’t care  

• Like 5

Posted
42 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Being one who has always been interested in alternative medicine I have been checking out what I should do. Apparently garlic is no good nor a a hamster up your bottom. 

So have tried my last batch of sloe gin.  Certainly hits the spot. Might not cure  the virus but you wouldn’t care  

They do say 'dairy products' have within them a little number in them that tricks the RNA into digesting the very coating of the virus (that makes it so hard for our immune system to see it?)

I linked to the U.S. research (by the CDC) into this (with other coronavirus 'flavours'?) upthread.....

So keep up with your pint a day to keep more than your bones strong eh?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
13 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

They do say 'dairy products' have within them a little number that dissolves the very coating of this virus (that makes it so hard for our immune system to see it?)I

Do you rub it on or drink it?  Like drinking milk so no problem. 

• Like 1

Posted

The research was looking at the impacts of whatever this dairy component is in 'tricking' the RNA into digesting its own coating so leaving it open to recognition by the white blood cells and its doom?

But then the German research I linked to a few post up says that 'all' their cases showed signs of natural immunity building up in patients after day ten of serious infection so , if/when you get it, hang on in there!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 21/02/2020 at 10:09, Gray-Wolf said:
WWW.NZHERALD.CO.NZ

New cases are dropping, but some 'recovered' patients showing traces of virus.

Is this the routeway for those suffering a second bout of the disease?

We have seen concerns about the impacts 'second time around' due to the impacts of the treatments on a patient's heart/major organs from the initial infection?

When will we see restrictions on travel to Japan/Singapore/South Korea/Iran?

I was thinking it could be similar to chicken pox, once you've had it, its always there, and more Contact to the virus can bring on a secondary illness ie, shingles, which is slightly different. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 18:01, Bristle boy said:

Thing is Nick, how many people will call their GP's or NHS helpline if they have a heavy cold or a touch of flu? For Years we have been told to ride it out, take paracetemol, keep hydrated, etc.

So, why would people actually contact NHS? Granted, for breathing difficulties or a very high temperature that doesnt respond to medication, then, yes, maybe one would contact NHS via GP surgery. Other than those symptoms, would you?

I most certainly wouldn't, I did go to the go with shortness of breath, cough general weakness and fever, they did an ecg cause of how rapid my pulse was, had blood tests and prescribed anti biotic. Got called back for another blood test cause something was very high iny blood, don't know what, but I did already feel a lot better anyway, and whatever was high had responded to the anti biotic, and that was that. But no doctor would see me unless I was in a similar state. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 18:34, Bristle boy said:

It is very sad Beverley, but not sure it differs much from 'their' normal behaviour to man's & woman's 'best friend'.

Seriously? 

• Like 1

Posted
On 21/02/2020 at 21:10, DAVID SNOW said:

According to you its been 'soon' for several weeks already....

Any chance you can tell me when?

Hopefully never, but the possibility is there, and people should not be so flippant. 

• Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Hopefully never, but the possibility is there, and people should not be so flippant. 

You have missed several weeks of conversation here, but thanks anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Italy's cases have reached 100 now. 117 cases so far. So Europe has a first epicenter now in Northern Italy. ☹️  Not good.

Meanwhile in South Korea it reached 600 cases!!!

• Like 3

Posted

As with everything in life we surely 'Hope for the best but prepare for the worse'?

Maybe we'll not see covid-19 become Pandemic, maybe the next mutation/recombination will turn it into a mils affair and allow the 'serious' side to fade?

But let's not be unaware of all it could mean to us all from the global financial impacts to the personal family impacts?

Sticking your fingers in your ears whilst repeating "It's not happening,it's not happening!" will achieve what exactly?

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Flippant seems to be the default setting for some  Alexis

I’m wondering how many unknowingly infected people from Northern Italy went off on their half term holidays recently. Families off to see relatives, go skiing etc. And then those who visited Milan and Venice on school holidays from other parts in Europe.

• Like 3