Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

So, how come sickle cell is highly prevalent amongst our own population of those with afro- carib or african heritage, BUT.....

Were born in UK and hardly ever, if ever, visit malaria risk countries?

In simple terms because the adaptive genetic mutation is passed on through generations.

• Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Sorry have not fallen foul of the common misconception.

Agreed all humans are basically the same but because no place is the same there are differences caused by the living conditions and life style where they have evolved.

For example people living at the height of the Andes can cope with the rarified atmosphere. Transpose a lowland person there and they would find it very difficult to cope. So the two are not the same. 

No worries, think i have miss took where you were coming from.

Your last point raises an interesting argument about susceptibility to respiratory infections, which i will post about when i have the chance.

Posted
5 minutes ago, ciel said:

In simple terms because the adaptive genetic mutation is passed on through generations.

Yep. So it is more prevalent in those of Afro-Carib or African heritage. So, some diseases do actually 'discriminate', which takes us back to a discussion from earlier in the thread. Ta.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Yep. So it is more prevalent in those of Afro-Carib or African heritage. So, some diseases do actually 'discriminate', which takes us back to a discussion from earlier in the thread. Ta.

No, Bris, you have it erse-about-face: the sickle-cell trait gives those living in malaria-prone areas a reproductive advantage over those that do not possess it...It only became a 'disease' when those who do possess it relocated to non-malarial environments...

A trait is not necessarily a disease!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

No, Bris, you have it erse-about-face: the sickle-cell trait gives those living in malaria-prone areas a reproductive advantage over those that do not possess it...It only became a 'disease' when those who do possess it relocated to non-malarial environments...

A trait is not necessarily a disease!

Understand. But it is still more prevalent in people of a certain heritage, which means it is discriminatory.  And so as not to lose sight of the orig posts from earlier, posted by other people, certain viruses, diseases can discriminate.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

But your argument is that a particular susceptibility to coronavirus respiratory infection may have some sort of genetic link to ethnicity and to date there is no evidence for that. It would be a very bad genetic adaptation for humans/Asians in regard to survival if that were the case.

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Just been reading the NHS are going to start testing people in their own homes which I think is a very good idea .

Thing is Nick, how many people will call their GP's or NHS helpline if they have a heavy cold or a touch of flu? For Years we have been told to ride it out, take paracetemol, keep hydrated, etc.

So, why would people actually contact NHS? Granted, for breathing difficulties or a very high temperature that doesnt respond to medication, then, yes, maybe one would contact NHS via GP surgery. Other than those symptoms, would you?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ciel said:

But your argument is that a particular susceptibility to coronavirus respiratory infection may have some sort of genetic link to ethnicity and to date there is no evidence for that. It would be a very bad genetic adaptation for humans/Asians in regard to survival if that were the case.

I have never posted what you are saying here.

Posted

Back on subject matter, there are now 14 cases in the Lombardy cluster. Includes 5 healthcare workers in a hospital ... that was quick?

4d9ef84a-54cc-11ea-9196-da7d305401b7.jpg
WWW.CORRIERE.IT

Sedici persone sono risultate positive al Covid 19

Edit to add an English language source.

7c5068a3a60fe2e3fad7e48c3255c667.jpg
WWW.ANSA.IT

Officials said Friday that 14 people have been infected with the coronavirus in Lombardy, while two other cases have been identified in Veneto. People in...

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, ciel said:

Well, please enlighten me as to the thrust of your argument?

The orig discussion was between Snipper and Swebby, about possibility of coronav MAYBE being more prevalent in Chinese. Read their posts.

So, i quoted the ref to sickle cell, which is more prevalent in those of African or Afro-Caribb heritage. So, maybe, diseases can, and do, discriminate. There endeth the discussion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

As I've been trying to impress since Jan this is a tricksy little beggar both for its long incubation/asymptomatic spread but also the mildness of most cases.

I guess we'd all be pretty shocked if we took a snapshot of the UK population and were able to see just how widespread it is?

I'd guess that the cases we will inevitably see cropping up from here on in will have no connection with China?

Now wash your hands.....

• Like 2

Posted
On 24/01/2020 at 08:43, Snipper said:

I expect that some sad people will take delight in spreading misinformation to stir up panic and concern. Already happening I believe. 

4 weeks on, and in this thread 

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

The orig discussion was between Snipper and Swebby, about possibility of coronav MAYBE being more prevalent in Chinese. Read their posts.

So, i quoted the ref to sickle cell, which is more prevalent in those of African or Afro-Caribb heritage. So, maybe, diseases can, and do, discriminate. There endeth the discussion.

I didn't realise the NW threads were  'private' discussions.

And yes, this particular side-issue should end in the ignorance.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, ciel said:

I didn't realise the NW threads were  'private' discussions.

And yes, this particular side-issue should end in the ignorance.

How is it "ignorance"?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I read scientists saying dogs can't get it .. but they are now taking peoples pet dogs and slaughtering them in the streets.
I find that ever so sad.

:(  

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

I read scientists saying dogs can't get it .. but they are now taking peoples pet dogs and slaughtering them in the streets.
I find that ever so sad.

It is very sad Beverley, but not sure it differs much from 'their' normal behaviour to man's & woman's 'best friend'.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

I find that ever so sad.

There have been disturbing vids of the dogs for a while but then rabies is a thing out there so these may have been 'scare mongering',,,, today we got a news item about cats and dogs inside Hubei keeling over?

We will have to wait and see if the reports keep coming and from which agencies?

Sad thing is , the UK being the UK, more folk would probably sit up and take notice if Little Tiddles/Fido was at risk from Covid-19?

I suppose whatever gets folk into the right headspace is all that matters really?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Gael_Force said:

ERT1THsXYAIiaoR?format=jpg&name=small

@Gray-Wolf

66% undetected cases roaming the world kind of plays to your musings up thread.

An example of silent in the community; mistaken for something else as they had no travel history

Two coronavirus cases confirmed at the first test in Padu

These are two people - a 78-year-old man and a 67-year-old woman - who were hospitalized 15 days ago at the Monselice hospital. These are elderly people from the Euganean Hills area. They live in Vo 'Euganeo. One of the two was found to be in 'serious condition'. Both did not go to China or to risk areas. One of them had been treated like a normal flu. He then developed a major airway disease before being tested. Both were transferred to the hospital in Padua. Their conditions are serious. One of them is in intensive care.

THE CONTACTS.

The two patients had 'several local contacts' and were treated in the first few days for lung infection. The Region immediately contacted both the 'Schiavonia' hospital in Monselice and the mayor of Vo 'Euganeo to establish the immediate measures envisaged by the health protocols. Among these, the closure of schools is being considered. Even in the hospital of Monselice, the health workers who came into contact with the two patients are subjected to a buffer test. The mayor of Vo 'Euganeo, Giuliano Martini: 'I learned about it from the manager of the Usl 6 company of Padua, Scibetta, half an hour ago. He informed me of the positivity to the tests of my two fellow citizens and the activation of the Unit in Padua. of crisis '. The two, who share two public places in Vo 'Euganeo, both live with family members.

THE ORIGIN.

One of the first things that the unit is trying to establish is from whom the two people were infected, which, it is good to repeat, did not return from areas of crisis, such as the East or China, but remained in Vo '.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I think it's inevitable this will run through the global population now. The fact the WHO have said the window is narrowing for containment suggests it is close to game over as far as containment is concerned.

I do wonder what happens when/if containment fails. Do governments let it rip through the population or will we see heavy disruption due to sick leave, cancelled events etc etc in a drive to try and minimise spread.

Also, will there be an incentive for sick leave? Some companies won't pay and people still have bills to cover...so much to be resolved going forward.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I think it's inevitable this will run through the global population now. The fact the WHO have said the window is narrowing for containment suggests it is close to game over as far as containment is concerned.

I do wonder what happens when/if containment fails. Do governments let it rip through the population or will we see heavy disruption due to sick leave, cancelled events etc etc in a drive to try and minimise spread.

Also, will there be an incentive for sick leave? Some companies won't pay and people still have bills to cover...so much to be resolved going forward.

Look at Fridge Magnets treatment of the flooded communities and you'll get some idea what he will do for those whose families are financially blighted by Covid-19?

I guess it's up to the people to help one another out?

Solidarity Comrade!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
13 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Look at Fridge Magnets treatment of the flooded communities and you'll get some idea what he will do for those whose families are financially blighted by Covid-19?

I guess it's up to the people to help one another out?

Solidarity Comrade!

The thing is, even a 1% death rate is too high for the government to do nothing. If 2/3 of the population got it you'd be looking at circa 400k deaths. 

We have to slow down this virus spread any way we can, get through to summer and have a vaccine ready for autumn and winter.

• Like 1