Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

EDIT: Again he's not exactly a sickly old man is he? 

There appears to be a Global resignation, from Health experts/virologists, to the virus spreading Globally?

I just hope the Chinese efforts at containment can buy us the time to become fully prepared for such an outcome?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

Or?..........

It is readily carried by a vector.  If it is in an urban environment, you would suspect the vector to be a type of pet or type of vermin.

That's another possibility, and a rather interesting (and unsettling) one.

• Like 1

Posted

I just can't see it being a 'vector' like vermin or insects and I just do not know that much about 'pet ownership' across China so as to think that they could be unwitting 'carriers' of the infection without falling sick themselves and, to my knowledge, we've heard nothing about cats/dogs falling sick from it?

In a Nation of 'Pet lovers' that would be a cruel twist indeed!

I had read somewhere that there is a potential that young men could become infertile if they have a bad bout of the disease? That would also be cruel for a Nation that suffered the '1 child policy'? (I'll see if I can dig up the reference!) 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

There appears to be a Global resignation, from Health experts/virologists, to the virus spreading Globally?

I just hope the Chinese efforts at containment can buy us the time to become fully prepared for such an outcome?

Not sickly but was he working in close proximity to those infected before it was known how contagious it was?

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Not sickly but was he working in close proximity to those infected before it was known how contagious it was?

So what of the rest of the planet who may be in daily contact with virus spread by asymptomatics?

I'm sure this is what did for Wuhan as, by the time they began to disinfect, huge numbers had caught it from their surroundings ......and the, as they say, rest is history.....

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

So what of the rest of the planet who may be in daily contact with virus spread by asymptomatics?

I'm sure this is what did for Wuhan as, by the time they began to disinfect, huge numbers had caught it from their surroundings ......and the, as they say, rest is history.....

Only time will tell 

Posted
2 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Another hospital head succumbs to the virus.

He was older but as @Snipper says, probably getting a heavy load of virus before full PPE in use.

Red Star News 2020-02-17 19:12

On February 17, Red Star reporter learned from the Propaganda Department of Ezhou Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital in Hubei Province that Xu Defu, the former president of the hospital, died on February 13 due to new crown pneumonia.

According to the official website of Ezhou Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital, Xu Defu is the chief physician of the liver, gallbladder, spleen, and stomach, and an adjunct professor at Hubei College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Member of the Municipal Vocational and Technical Qualification Evaluation Committee.

He is good at the diagnosis and treatment of liver, gallbladder, spleen and stomach diseases, and has rich experience in the treatment of stomach, digestive tract, diabetes and other diseases. In his spare time, he has published more than 50 academic papers, published 8 monographs such as "150 cases of unreasonable combination of Chinese and western medicine" and "Excellent recipes for the treatment of common tumors by integrated Chinese and Western medicine".
On February 17, a staff member of the Propaganda Department of the Ezhou Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital told Red Star News reporter that Xu Defu did on February 13 due to new coronary pneumonia. Infected with virus in clinical work. "

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
VIRALZONE.EXPASY.ORG

A knowledge resource to understand virus diversity
WWW.UNIPROT.ORG
flu-9.jpg
SCIENCE.HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM

Influenza and Ebola are both viruses. Find out what a virus does to your body and how to decrease your chance of exposure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
life-science-cellular-and-microscopic-bi
SCIENCE.HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM

SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, made headlines in China's Guangdong Province. Learn about possible causes of SARS and governmental responses.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
45 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Another hospital head succumbs to the virus.

He was older but as @Snipper says, probably getting a heavy load of virus before full PPE in use.

So from this do we conclude that this virus can effect digestive tract organs, as he probably wouldn't have seen any patients that didn't have something wrong in that department. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I just can't see it being a 'vector' like vermin or insects and I just do not know that much about 'pet ownership' across China so as to think that they could be unwitting 'carriers' of the infection without falling sick themselves and, to my knowledge, we've heard nothing about cats/dogs falling sick from it?

In a Nation of 'Pet lovers' that would be a cruel twist indeed!

I had read somewhere that there is a potential that young men could become infertile if they have a bad bout of the disease? That would also be cruel for a Nation that suffered the '1 child policy'? (I'll see if I can dig up the reference!) 

A virus does not necessarily make a vector ill/symptomatic. See earlier posts in regards to bats.

There would be an assumption that it would be carried and transmitted to/from a vector in a similar manner, i.e. as a respiratory infection, but droppings, etc could be another means. This may mean insects are very unlikely, but that is only an assumption on my part. I think pets are unlikely as numbers might be insufficient but rodents/wild birds are certainly an interesting consideration.  Just think about UK town gulls, they will swoop on half eaten food waste in seconds (that could be coated in saliva) and they carpet bomb towns with their crap.  NB  just speculation on my part.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

So from this do we conclude that this virus can effect digestive tract organs, as he probably wouldn't have seen any patients that didn't have something wrong in that department. 

Possibly, but I think more likely is that it simply indicates an all hands to the pumps situation in overrun Chinese hospitals? 

• Like 3

Posted

Hi swebby!

I'm very aware of zoonotic transfer from bird droppings and the H5N1 they may be carrying

My kids (not Luke) were little 'un's when we were seeing outbreaks in wildfowl and they were both avid duck/pigeon feeders at that time so (as should always be!) hand hygiene was a big thing when down at Hebden water (etc) to feed the ducks/geese

I think it far more acceptable that it is shed virus itself causing issues and not 'hot spots' for avian fecal matter?

More folk touch handrails/lift buttons/table chairs/airport trolleys/taxi doors/interiors/door handles than do contaminated seats/walls/pavements near avian hotspots?

On balance I tend to be leaning more toward the long lived shed virus on common surfaces than animal droppings being our shared issue with Covid-19 personally? 

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Some of the patients with COVID presented with sickness and diarrhoea so it is possible.

There is a new study published on the subject of health care worker infections.... some snips from it. I think the final paragraph applies to what we were discussing about early lack of awareness.

The researchers found that 3,019 medical workers had been infected, among whom 1,688 patients were in severe or critical condition. As of Feb. 11, the government acknowledged more than 1,700 medical workers nationwide as confirmed with the disease, almost 90% of them in Hubei, according to Chinese National Health Commission deputy chief Zeng Yixin at a press conference Friday.

The researchers found that 3,019 medical workers had been infected, among whom 1,688 patients were in severe or critical condition. As of Feb. 11, the government acknowledged more than 1,700 medical workers nationwide as confirmed with the disease, almost 90% of them in Hubei, according to Chinese National Health Commission deputy chief Zeng Yixin at a press conference Friday.

The study didn’t provide details on how medical workers were infected or why protective measures failed. Caixin’s in-depth reports showed that in the early stage of the epidemic, uninformed doctors had close contact with infected patients without enough protection and that shortages of protective supplies and substandard gear also left workers exposed to infection.

1581970910900959_560_373.jpg
WWW.CAIXINGLOBAL.COM

China’s CDC documents more than 3,000 medical-worker cases, almost double the official total, and finds almost half of critical patients die in biggest Covid-19 study yet

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 4

Posted

The company I used to work at has asked around 30 people not to come into work for the next few days as a team member has been tested for coronavirus. 

He travelled from Australia and had a wait in Taiwan airport and started feeling ill last week (sore throat, temp) and was sent home and told to call 111. They tested him late last week and expect to know the results in a day or two.

Not sure what use asking the team members not to come in will do? He’s been sitting in close proximity to them for almost a fortnight, using the same toilets, canteen, lifts etc - the office is a breeding ground at the best of time’s and there’s around 1,000 people in there on a good day.

My partner (works on a different floor), many ex-team members (floor I used to work on and the same as the suspected patient) and friends work there so I’m very interested in where this goes!

spacer.png
WWW.KENTLIVE.NEWS

A staff member displayed 'flu-like symptoms' after travelling through Taiwan

Edited by lottiekent
Added link to article for reference
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

The British couple who have been updating us from the Diamond Princess ship ..

"David and Sally Abel, who are on the cruise to celebrate  their anniversary, are among the 74 Britons on the ship, with the US already having chartered two two planes and repatriated 340 of its citizens, and now tests have shown they do have the bug. Four Britons with confirmed coronavirus are currently in hospital in Japan, according to the latest official figures."

1243744.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

A BRITISH couple quarantined on board the cruise liner Diamond Princess, docked in Yokohama in Japan, DO have coronavirus, tests have confirmed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

The British couple who have been updating us from the Diamond Princess ship ..

"David and Sally Abel, who are on the cruise to celebrate  their anniversary, are among the 74 Britons on the ship, with the US already having chartered two two planes and repatriated 340 of its citizens, and now tests have shown they do have the bug. Four Britons with confirmed coronavirus are currently in hospital in Japan, according to the latest official figures."

1243744.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

A BRITISH couple quarantined on board the cruise liner Diamond Princess, docked in Yokohama in Japan, DO have coronavirus, tests have confirmed.

Oh no, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. 

Posted

Breaking News :   further 88 people test positive on the Diamond Princess ship.

Posted
10 hours ago, lottiekent said:

The company I used to work at has asked around 30 people not to come into work for the next few days as a team member has been tested for coronavirus. 

He travelled from Australia and had a wait in Taiwan airport and started feeling ill last week (sore throat, temp) and was sent home and told to call 111. They tested him late last week and expect to know the results in a day or two.

Not sure what use asking the team members not to come in will do? He’s been sitting in close proximity to them for almost a fortnight, using the same toilets, canteen, lifts etc - the office is a breeding ground at the best of time’s and there’s around 1,000 people in there on a good day.

My partner (works on a different floor), many ex-team members (floor I used to work on and the same as the suspected patient) and friends work there so I’m very interested in where this goes!

They are testing 100s daily and as you know only a handful of positives.
One of the problems is feeling generally unwell with a temperature is not a very specific symptom

• Like 4

Posted

So , day 14 on the locked down ,quarantined Diamond Princess......

When are they going to tell us they've started to deep clean the ship? Poor sods sat there awaiting their turn!

EDIT: Oh Dear!;

24869828-0-image-a-10_1582009455029.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Steve Abel said his parents David and Sally Abel were 'not getting any communication' from the UK Foreign Office despite repeated pleas for help.

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted

The Covid-19 disease is far deadlier than the normal flu, a study by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention has found.

More than 80 per cent of the cases studied were mild, with severe symptoms such as pneumonia occurring in 14 per cent of them and critical illness in 5 per cent.

The fatality rate of 2.3 per cent, which makes it deadlier than the seasonal flu, which typically has a 0.1 per cent mortality rate.

Coronavirus-3.jpg
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The government is “working to organise” a flight back to the UK for British nationals quarantined on board a cruise ship off the coast of Japan over coronavirus fears...

• Like 4

Posted

If this is the case then it begins to sound like the same impacts we saw from the second wave of the Spanish Flu ( Autumn 1918) when the virus had mutated to a form promoting cytokine storm in young,fit victims?

• Like 2