Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Sensible action.....but....

Simon Calder on tv today was saying dont be put off from travelling to Far East.

Mr Calder by the nature of his job may have vested interests, I would ask if Mr Calder gets premium level travel insurance and is it paid for by his employer? For your average holiday maker, like the poor buggers on the Diamond Princess.......?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

An  interesting facebook post today from my lads school    he attends a private school  in wolves  and they have stated that  this half term all 60 Chinese borders will not be travelling back home  and will remain in the uk   this will be reviewed at Easter    certainly taking it seriously 

Those 60 students are probably paying a pretty penny so possibly a very sensible business solution. If they go home and are not allowed back that could be a bit of hole in the yearly figures. From the parents perspective, if I was living in china and i had kids that were abroad in a country with a modern health care system and only a handful of cases, think i'd pay a bit extra to have them stay away until this resolves itself.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I wasn't aware that Calder was an epidemiologist, a virologist or even an expert in disease aetiology; last I heard, he was a travel writer/blogger...? Simon Says, eh?

He appeared alongside the viralogist today, on same slot. A bit of an Ant & Dec duo

Posted

500 million on lockdown now!! This is going to cause a massive worldwide recession at best...or...well we all know at worst.

Oh i saw this in the Daily mail first, but decided to post the link from reuters, as I don't want to be sneered upon.

?m=02&d=20200214&t=2&i=1490225430&w=1200
UK.REUTERS.COM

Around 500 million people in China are currently affected by policies put in place restricting movement, to contain the COVID-19 coronavirus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

just shows the hysteria on this forum..i belong to only one other forum on the internet..their post count is at 121..here we are past 1,100 on this topic (btw they have more members)

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

just shows the hysteria on this forum..i belong to only one other forum on the internet..their post count is at 121..here we are past 1,100 on this topic (btw they have more members)

I don't detect hysteria on this thread, only reasonable concern.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

One for B.B.;

wuhan%20CDC.png?itok=8ZjKqkCJ
WWW.ZEROHEDGE.COM

"In summary, somebody was entangled with the evolution of 2019-nCoV coronavirus. In addition to origins of natural recombination and intermediate host, the...

EDIT: I mean 2!;

whounderesti.jpg
MEDICALXPRESS.COM

The coronavirus probably has a stronger ability to spread than the World Health Organization has estimated so far. This according to a review of previous studies...

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Problem is some people are happy in living in absolute filth.

Recall doing a valuation of some 2,000 properties throughout southern England for a Housing Assiciation. One in particular sticks in my mind. As soon as you went inside you stopped breathing through your nose. Amongst other things the bloke who lived there took pride in peeing into bottles and leaving them about the place.  On worktops, shelves floor and mantle.

What was most nauseating was the WC pan had the top broken off but was still being used. It looked a bit like a mud volcano. My report concluded with the comment that this was the sort of property that you wiped your feet as you leave.

Of course I am sure the occupier regularly washed his hands. I went home and had a long hot shower. 

Snipper, I know what you are saying but I work with people like that and while some of the situations you have seen may be due to deliberate behaviour/alcohol or drug addiction, 100% of my cases are elderly or disabled people. Two of my clients are living in conditions unfit for human beings. One man staggers to his bed each night but is recliner chair-bound all day tied to his oxygen supply. He eats his meals from a filthy chipboard square on his table and spits/drops his leavings onto the floor. The walls of the rented accommodation are riddled with mould (it's an old small town big mansion split into social housing flats). He has no vacuum cleaner so all I can do is brush the floor and clean up what I can and what he lets me touch - he is very defensive. He gave me a Valentine's Day kiss today...

Our societies are broken. Where we go, I don't know, but the pleasure of being able to make a small difference to individual lives has transformed my own. Sometimes you forget about that hot shower or even wearing gloves because you just want to hold a very vulnerable human hand...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 minutes ago, ciel said:

I don't detect hysteria on this thread, only reasonable concern.

Not sure - I think we have some very rational discussions but we do need to ensure our sources and statistics and also make sure we don't make alarmist statements that are unfounded assumptions.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, emax said:

No offence intended, but I think your hysteria meter must be faulty lol

No offence either, but can you direct me to any of my hysterical posts? Most have been grounded on medical opinion.

Please explain what my hysteria meter is or where it is faulty,?

Posted

A week on from a similar post i posted on here, i find it encouraging and comforting that the UK and Europe still only have a handful of cases. Now i know "handful" expilicitly means 5 or less, but there has NOT been an upsurge in cases to call it an epidemic. 

I have continuing faith in our NHS, health authorites and government, to mitigate the effects of this strain of CV on the UK population. Bottoms up it's the weekend. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, ciel said:

No offence either, but can you direct me to any of my hysterical posts? Most have been grounded on medical opinion.

ok maybe hysteria was the wrong word...some people are just negative people and post ad nauseam endless articles as to why things look bleak...yes we get it we are all going to die and civilization will collapse if not this year the next or in 12 years time anyway because of climate change (or is it 11 now?)

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 2

Posted

i think you'll find it's 10 yrs left now C.M.

Civilisation has survived because we had 'hypervigilant' members who ,when their time came, saved their group from disaster.

The 'unconcerned' , as I've said, will never proffer their thanks or apologise when their butt has been saved from the things that the 'H.V.'s' pick up on but the abuse we see levelled at such , day in ,day out, is inexcusable

Why not just 'block' the poster that drives you nuts instead of insulting/assaulting them?

And yes C.M. ,we ALL die.... the knack is not being around when it's your turn......

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ciel said:

??????

As far as I can tell, you haven't made any hysterical posts?

Others on the other hand......

Posted
16 minutes ago, emax said:

??????

As far as I can tell, you haven't made any hysterical posts?

Others on the other hand......

On the other hand......what?  Please explain. 

Posted

The further we get into this , the better our information, I wonder if the moaners will drop out and consider the folly they have committed on a public forum?

Over on the enviro threads we have very few of those yelling about 'doomsayers/catastrophists' and this event is super speeded up compared to the (apparent?) slow progress AGW has?

In one month I reckon we ought to name and shame those folk who (appear to be) aimed at humiliating those bringing sound information to the good folk who people this forum..... for their own information/safety?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

The further we get into this , the better our information, I wonder if the moaners will drop out and consider the folly they have committed on a public forum?

Over on the enviro threads we have very few of those yelling about 'doomsayers/catastrophists' and this event is super speeded up compared to the (apparent?) slow progress AGW has?

In one month I reckon we ought to name and shame those folk who (appear to be) aimed at humiliating those bringing sound information to the good folk who people this forum..... for their own information/safety?

You really have an absolute nerve. YOU are spreading fake news about this virus based on a few snippets of posted news on internet; YOU have NO concrete evidence of what will happen. It is just you posting your own sick agenda. There was a veiled warning from govt and health authorities earlier about the internet  forums, social media spreading fake news. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

You really have an absolute nerve. YOU are spreading fake news about this virus based on a few snippets of posted news on internet; YOU have NO concrete evidence of what will happen. It is just you posting your own sick agenda. There was a veiled warning from govt and health authorities earlier about the internet  forums, social media spreading fake news. 

A warning of fake news...from Her Majesty's Government? Now that's what I call irony!:oldlaugh:

• Like 5

Posted

Well B.B. , the lines are now drawn, let's see who , over the next 4 weeks, appears the biggest plonker eh?

I do note your posts do not attract many 'Likes'?

Had you noticed that?

EDIT: Is this what drives you?

The fact that nobody 'Likes' You?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Well B.B. , the lines are now drawn, let's see who , over the next 4 weeks, appears the biggest plonker eh?

I do note your posts do not attract many 'Likes'?

Had you noticed that?

EDIT: Is this what drives you?

The fact that nobody 'Likes' You?

Do you get excited by "likes"?

I'm a realist; you're a fantasist.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Do you get excited by "likes"?

I'm a realist; you're a fantasist.

Times reveals all B.B., let's let it do its work eh?

EDIT: Oh! and be well eh?

If a sniffle leaves you bed bound in Mexico you'll not like what the folk who have survived Covid-19 describe their experience as being?

Edited by Gray-Wolf