Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
49 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

You might have missed my comments regarding China where people "eat anything that moves". I think it was probably the one country which I have visited where I experienced true culture shock. I visited Hangzhou for a week's work but as usual I made the absolute most of the time I had. I will never forget going to one supermarket which stocked normal brands like Coca Cola and Budweiser (not that I would buy either of those brands!) and having a wander around the fruit and veg areas. Nearby were some large plastic tubs containg dozens of enormous toads which were clambering on each other in order to get out of the tubs. There were toads hopping about on the floor!

While the animal husbandry practices of many countries go against my own beliefs and I would like to see much more worldwide respect for our fellow sentient beings, it is a morally difficult terrain to navigate - who are we to say what you can eat and kill and how...

There is no doubt that the food habits in China can and do contribute toward outbreaks of species jumping disease. Over population adds to this. Unless we address these issues as a global community the resultant problems will not go away.

Yuk and yuk,  I can well believe it.  I’ve read comments on the meat markets in China in here, its all very horrific and it would haunt me to the end of my days.  The morals of it all belong in the medieval era in my humble view or in a HBO production like Deadwood where years ago they did feed dead humans to the pigs - poor pigs!!!    In a modern educated world one would hope all human beings could strive to adopt an acceptable code of behaviour to all things living even if they are animals specifically bred for food, as you say it is just about having respect for all living things..  You are so very correct though it is very difficult terrain to navigate and I confess I avoided biomedical ethics at university like the plague for that very reason ......would have driven me to drink I fear.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
12 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

We'd better crack on with Lab grown proteins then!

I’ve been veggie for 30 years plus.....use different beans and lentils.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

THE world indoor athletics championships due to be held in China in March have been postponed for a YEAR as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
Other large sporting events likely to also be affected in the coming weeks and months.

NINTCHDBPICT000558332349-1.jpg?strip=all
WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

THE world indoor athletics championships due to be held in China in March have been postponed for a YEAR as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. The decision...

Posted

https://mobile.twitter.com/CandyTruong0122/status/1222627032011628544

So far, out of the more than 6100 cases of #coronavirus, 133 deaths and 126 recovered. That ratio looks to me like more than half the people who get it, die...

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Posted
3 hours ago, swebby said:

Seems to me the they have learnt plenty at least in what to do when an outbreak of something occurs. The lock downs are truly exceptional measures, they have more or less quarantined a city of 10 million souls and that is staggering.

Probably helps if China is something akin to a dictatorship. I don’t expect any planning permission was sort for the hospitals they are building at rapid speed.

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So, we're about 7 days to 'Day Zero; (i.e. all the cases that flew here whilst 'unrestricted', and their contacts contacts (as they travelled unaware of their condition?) might begin to develop symptoms?

The next 7 days we WILL begin to see H2H infections outside China (I know we already see this but this will be ALL cities with International airports?) and grapple with the magnitude of the task of tracking down ALL possible 'contacts' since such folk arrived, to try and halt further transmission......

I kinda laughed at the Chinese Med. who claimed max infection will occur in ten days time (and NOT mid May?)......he might not be talking Poo Pooh though??

If the 'alleged' report from Hospitals within Huwan are 'accurate' then, if the virus was out and spreading from week 1 in Jan?,  and the 'R' number IS '14' then that might make sense?

Other Chinese meds go for April as 'max transmission' period which would chime better with an 'R'  being around 3.8? (and not 'May' as the 'R'= 2.5 gave?)

Next 7 days , if you can trust the news (thank God we all have access to each other/cameras etc eh?), we find out just 'what is what' as our Nation will begin to see any cases who have not travelled (and caught it from just being 'out and about') and, of course, such folk have been 'out and about' for the last 2 weeks passing it on and leaving it plastered on doors knobs/railings/taps/lift buttons/coins etc......

At least we can stop all this 'natter' in a week or so eh?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

A positive case of Novel #coronavirus has been reported in #Kerala state. The patient is a student from Wuhan University. The patient has tested positive for #CoronavirusWho & is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored!

https://twitter.com/anusha_puppala/status/1222800926244655104?s=20

Edited by Flipflop
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Flipflop said:

A positive case of Novel #coronavirus has been reported in #Kerala state. The patient is a student from Wuhan University. The patient has tested positive for #CoronavirusWho & is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored!

https://twitter.com/anusha_puppala/status/1222800926244655104?s=20

Not shown yet on 

GISANDDATA.MAPS.ARCGIS.COM

they do show a case in Sri Lanka

Posted

Well the Chinese may have extended the New Year hols in China but I guess all those who flew in for the celebrations will have a ticket seeing them return home over the next few days?

Over the next week the '14 day' incubation will be up for many of those who travelled into China at the back end of last week.

I seem to recall a BBC article over last Autumn highlighting the growth rate in Chinese students in the UK, IIRC numbers were up 30%?

Though many Uni's have their own quarantine plans those students returning from CNY will still travel from the airport to their accomodation and, for many, this is a trip through all the major population centres of the UK....

EDIT: just seen this;

WWW.MYLONDON.NEWS

Sales of the emergency food and drink supplies have spiked 1,200%

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.
18 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Not shown yet on 

GISANDDATA.MAPS.ARCGIS.COM

they do show a case in Sri Lanka

Give it time..... Last Update: Jan 29, 2020 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Cruise ship quarantined with six thousand stuck on board over coronavirus fears.

1235512.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

PASSENGERS on a cruise ship carrying two suspected coronavirus patients have been have been banned from disembarking at an Italian port.

Posted

Well we have seen the virus spread to every part of China so why would it be any different in other nations of our 'Global Village'?

If the next few days sees every international airport carry Chinese Nationals making their way home to their homes outside China then how will we minimise the potential for travellers (who do not know they are carrying the virus) from spreading it to fellow travellers (bound for other countries) and workers inside the Airports/taxi drivers servicing the airports?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

About two weeks ago I had a Viral Infection, about the same dates when the Corona-virus would have been landing in the UK.  I work in an international setting where I would interact with a lot of people travelling.   I haven't had it that bad since 2014, so how does anyone know that they haven't had it and gotten over it?  It took me roughly 14 days to get rid of it, and I am still feeling it a little bit now.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

About two weeks ago I had a Viral Infection, about the same dates when the Corona-virus would have been landing in the UK.  I work in an international setting where I would interact with a lot of people travelling.   I haven't had it that bad since 2014, so how does anyone know that they haven't had it and gotten over it?  It took me roughly 14 days to get rid of it, and I am still feeling it a little bit now.

This is the main problem - 70-80% of people who pick it up get symptoms like a typical bad cold.  There is a small chance that you have had it, passed it on to a few people on the way and then got over it.

It's very likely there are many more cases around the world than have been reported so far, mainly because people who fall ill don't know that they've been in contact with a carrier. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I think your bloods would still have some trace of the infection you had (via your immune systems response to it?)

Maybe phone 111 or your local surgery to discuss your concerns?

For most folk it is supposed to be a 'mild' infection that does not interfere with their day to day lives? This is why pinning down the 'R' number is really important as ,a.t.m. we are still guessing at just what that might be?

Unlike all other infections this one is new to humanity so no one has any immunity to it, if you are exposed to it you will play host to it.

Should this have been a H2H infection since mid Jan then I fear we are already in deep do-do's from folk unknowingly being exposed to the virus and then spreading it for up to 2 weeks before they feel symptoms?

Only now will the first of those 'caught in the UK' infections be potentially feeling symptoms & presenting?

If we have had H2H in the UK for 2 weeks just how far has it already spread?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Good point. A doc on telly this morn gave the opinion that a severe bout of 'normal' influenza is worse than coronavirus. So, if ur generally healthy, with no other severe illnesses (and not of v old age), there is little to fear.

Yes, this could easily spread like a common cold does, but it doesnt mean it is the end of the world. As for stockpiling, etc, give it a rest.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

As for stockpiling, etc, give it a rest.

I've got a few extra bits in each time I've been to the shops.  Not because I think it's the end of the world, but because of the inevitable 'headless chicken' syndrome that would kick in when cases start springing up in the UK.  If it's highly contagious and people start dying from in their local communities then there will be panic.  Even if just one person succumbs in the UK then the Express and Sun will stir people into a frenzy and social media will be awash with fake news and people claiming they've got it because they've got a runny nose etc.

What's the first thing people will do?  Go and get extra supplies, medication, bottled water etc from the supermarket so they can survive the 'coronapocalypse'.  Shelves will very quickly be empty and I'd rather have a few surplus bits and pieces to last until things return to normal - which they would quite quickly.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

I've got a few extra bits in each time I've been to the shops.  Not because I think it's the end of the world, but because of the inevitable 'headless chicken' syndrome that would kick in when cases start springing up in the UK.  If it's highly contagious and people start dying from in their local communities then there will be panic.  Even if just one person succumbs in the UK then the Express and Sun will stir people into a frenzy and social media will be awash with fake news and people claiming they've got it because they've got a runny nose etc.

What's the first thing people will do?  Go and get extra supplies, medication, bottled water etc from the supermarket so they can survive the 'coronapocalypse'.  Shelves will very quickly be empty and I'd rather have a few surplus bits and pieces to last until things return to normal - which they would quite quickly.

Really?! Do u do the same when it's a bad Winter in the UK for influenza OR, say, a norovirus outbreak?

As for The Sun or Express stirring people into a "frenzy" it seems like you dont need the papers to do that.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Yikes

Just to put this case into perspective. We boarded a cruise ship in November, to be immediately told there had been cases of norovirus on board in the days leading up to our embarkment. 2000 'new' people embarked during the same 24 hours - all passengers sailed. No one was "Oh no, i'm going home" - we just all took extra hygiene precautions, before 2 days later the Captain announced that the ship was clear of the virus.

Illnesses happen on cruise ships all the time. Colds, flu, stomach bugs - they happen and will circulate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
26 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Good point. A doc on telly this morn gave the opinion that a severe bout of 'normal' influenza is worse than coronavirus. So, if ur generally healthy, with no other severe illnesses (and not of v old age), there is little to fear.

Yes, this could easily spread like a common cold does, but it doesnt mean it is the end of the world. As for stockpiling, etc, give it a rest.

So if you get away with a few sniffles, you're okay, and if you die, you're dead? That's certainly reassuring to know!:oldgood: 

How many peeps do you know of who've died of a common cold?

• Like 1