Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - i carry an antibacterial handwipe everywhere i go anyway and use it after every transaction i make and i even use flash wipes on my coins sometimes before i go outside.

It's mainly the airborne pathogens which are out of your control- hence I think face masks will need to be made mandatory at some point.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
54 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The cynic in me thinks that if this virus is shown to kill off mainly older people, they'll let nature take its course. If this is the case, it's going to be unpleasant for all of us. 

Looking at what we know, the 50+ age range seems to be copping it. Think there has been one, maybe 2 deaths under the age of 50.

Gee, thanks for that....

Posted

Perhaps God has decided on an adjustment to the population to stop global warming.  Even though there are too many of us I’m not volunteering to go willingly. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - i carry an antibacterial handwipe everywhere i go anyway and use it after every transaction i make and i even use flash wipes on my coins sometimes before i go outside.

Actually, probably hot water and soap are the best actions to take to prevent contagion. Wipes are not always effective. Airborne infection requires isolation from the source.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Actually, probably hot water and soap are the best actions to take to prevent contagion. Wipes are not always effective. Airborne infection requires isolation from the source.

Yes but the problem in toilets is that some times you have to turn the tap off so the last thing you touch could still be infected plus in pubs there isn't hot water either, so the next best thing is wipes, i am really vulnerable to flu but this practice has served me well the last few years, i havent had it that many times where as i used to get it once a month during wintertime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, ciel said:

Well ciel, I believe I contracted the 2010 flu from the bus between Beckenham and Penge---and, who knows how many folks I infected before it wiped me out, for three whole days, on Boxing Day?

Did I get it from a virus-encrusted surface, or from airborne droplets, courtesy of some other soon-to-be-bedridden schmuck? So, do I think that a novel coronavirus is an existential threat? Of course I do! 

But, before we start whining (It's the Chinese! It''s the EU! It's the Wokes! ...) we ought to concentrate on curtailing its spread?

• Like 1

Posted

Reading this thread I'm amazed some on here ever go out at all.  

'In pubs there isn't hot water'.  Did you last go to the pub in 1886?  I mean some of them now have air conditioning and nice food and regular customers that aren't killed off by disease and as a result keep coming back.   

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes but the problem in toilets is that some times you have to turn the tap off so the last thing you touch could still be infected plus in pubs there isn't hot water either, so the next best thing is wipes, i am really vulnerable to flu but this practice has served me well the last few years, i havent had it that many times where as i used to get it once a month during wintertime.

You got flu once a month in winter?  Flu?  Not a sniffle or a headache or feeling a bit funny? Flu? Influenza.  Every month?  Blimey, you should submit yourself to medical science.   You must have had 3 different strains of flu over each winter.  That's amazingly unlucky.  No wonder you use so many wipes.

Flippin eck, I do wonder about the nation's tendency to hypochondria.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think that's called menstruation, feb!

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well ciel, I believe I contracted the 2010 flu from the bus between Beckenham and Penge---and, who knows how many folks I infected before it wiped me out, for three whole days, on Boxing Day?

Did I get it from a virus-encrusted surface, or from airborne droplets, courtesy of some other soon-to-be-bedridden schmuck? So, do I think that a novel coronavirus is an existential threat? Of course I do! 

But, before we start whining (It's the Chinese! It''s the EU! It's the Wokes! ...) we ought to concentrate on curtailing its spread?

My question not so silly after all then lol.

Posted
4 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

You got flu once a month in winter?  Flu?  Not a sniffle or a headache or feeling a bit funny? Flu? Influenza.  Every month?  Blimey, you should submit yourself to medical science.   You must have had 3 different strains of flu over each winter.  That's amazingly unlucky.  No wonder you use so many wipes.

Flippin eck, I do wonder about the nation's tendency to hypochondria.

Yes, i used to take speed, gave up speed and just took pills but the problem is that loads were cut with speed and because i had so many it was the same and so every 2 weeks i would get another flu after nearly getting rid, i used to overdose on ibuprofen i was in that much pain to get me through doing removals in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
5 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Reading this thread I'm amazed some on here ever go out at all.  

'In pubs there isn't hot water'.  Did you last go to the pub in 1886?  I mean some of them now have air conditioning and nice food and regular customers that aren't killed off by disease and as a result keep coming back.   

Perhaps it’s the air conditioning wot does it.  In the last century, when I did visit and work in pubs, , the best ones  were unheated, apart from fire, stone flagged and floors washed twice a day, wood kegs, beer poured straight from keg to jug to glass, ian inordinate amount of fag smoke, cos we all smoked then, dinner eaten at home, vicious pickled eggs and Stilton on the bar,  so pickled eggs Stilton = fermented/probiotic, old barrelled beer likewise, no carpet/stone floor = less chance of dust allergy, no heating/coal or wood fire= less humidity, uber fag smoke, hmmm, can’t excuse that one. Ponder on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Surely the fact the Chinese have now said this is a grave situation, the fact they are hurriedly building new hospitals and the fact there are videos of people just collapsing of this virus etc should ring alarm bells??

Do you believe China are telling us the full story in terms of deaths from this?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, i used to take speed, gave up speed and just took pills but the problem is that loads were cut with speed and because i had so many it was the same and so every 2 weeks i would get another flu after nearly getting rid, i used to overdose on ibuprofen i was in that much pain to get me through doing removals in the week.

Influenza?  You realise that an average case of flu knocks you out for at least a week or more.  In bed, feeling like death.  Flu is not a cold.  People say they've got the flu when most of the time they haven't and they'd sure as anything know if they did.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Given you can only catch influenza virus from someone who already has it, I reckon you were suffering good ol' withdrawal symptoms, feb?

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yep that's the definition of flu on the NHS website.

Posted
Just now, General Cluster said:

Given you can only catch influenza virus from someone who already has it, I reckon you were suffering good ol' withdrawal symptoms, feb?

No its sneezing coughing respiratory problems and aches all over - no different from any other time i had flu (i used to get it a lot even without clubbing but not quite as often) - i have said before , yes - i agree but that is why you catch it - too many people in enclosed spaces because people are so scared of cold weather they wont walk anywhere and congregate in buildings with heaters full on - the right temperature for a breeding ground - thats the misconception, and that is why there is more flu in winter.

Posted
7 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Influenza?  You realise that an average case of flu knocks you out for at least a week or more.  In bed, feeling like death.  Flu is not a cold.  People say they've got the flu when most of the time they haven't and they'd sure as anything know if they did.

Yes i know what it is - it lasts about 2 weeks with me usually, the aches and pains are gone after about 8-10 days into the bug but then the fact that i cough so much contributes to a severe headache until about D14

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Well Feb you're a medical specimen.  Flu every month must mean 2 weeks of flu then 2 weeks off then 2 weeks on again throughout the winter, and presumably a different strain each time.  Remarkable. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Well Feb you're a medical specimen.  Flu every month must mean 2 weeks of flu then 2 weeks off then 2 weeks on again throughout the winter, and presumably a different strain each time.  Remarkable. 

Very long odds and unlikely to happen to many, but with such a sample size of millions why not the odd remarkable person?

Posted
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

Very long odds and unlikely to happen to many, but with such a sample size of millions why not the odd remarkable person?

Yes, and with no other factors at play at all.  As I say, remarkable.

Posted
27 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I agree with that sentiment. And yes you give the hands a quick splash under the cold tap, because you can't work out the complexity of the hot one :oldrolleyes:then a whisk under the dryer and hope you escape typhoid.

Posted
3 minutes ago, ciel said:

I agree with that sentiment. And yes you give the hands a quick splash under the cold tap, because you can't work out the complexity of the hot one :oldrolleyes:then a whisk under the dryer and hope you escape typhoid.

Its not the complexity - it just doesn't work or its cold - simple as that.

Plus in reply to others wrt flu, why if it wasn't the flu that i was regularly catching did i suddenly go from regularly having the flu in winter to having a winter without it whatsoever the first time i had the vaccine then?

EDIT : The flu vaccine does not stop you getting a common cold.

Edited by feb1991blizzard