Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
30 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Oh.

Not sure where 24th update is. Their disease outbreak news section shows 21st. 

WHOLogoTwitter.jpg
WWW.WHO.INT

The latest disease outbreaks around the world notified to the World Health Organization.

Yes, reports are hidden away a bit.

Follow this link for the landing page of the situation reports as they come out.

WWW.WHO.INT

Situation reports – Situation reports provide the latest updates on the novel coronavirus outbreak. These include updated numbers of infected people and location, and actions that WHO and...

This is the one from yesterday - pdf format

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200124-sitrep-4-2019-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=9272d086_2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
6 hours ago, General Cluster said:

It should be obvious, by now, that the globe is facing a real threat from a potentially high-morbidity/-mortality pandemic. And I'm glad to see that Boris is taking the matter seriously...

Above all, let's all hope and pray that the relevant Health Authorities can snuff it out!? 

Of course, the greatest prime minister we never had would have been doing a fantastic job too. 

If we were really taking it seriously, the last thing we would be doing is getting on an aircraft. Of course, as always, business and money really matters. Not you, me, or anyone else! That’s the sad truth. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Are there any restrictions on planes coming and going between the UK and China?

The answer I would like to give you is, yes absolutely. Safety of the public is essential. 

Unfortunately, we are run by the most incompetent bunch you could imagine. The U.K. government! 

• Like 1

Posted

I am certainly not an expert in virology, or of Chinese competence in the matter of dealing with the recent viral outbreak, or how it will pan out, but for those really interested, I would recommend a read of this book. 

fallback-logo.png
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

GrrlScientist: This book reveals the origins of some of the world's most deadly microbes, explains how modern life makes them more dangerous and explores how new technologies may prevent pandemic...

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The answer I would like to give you is, yes absolutely. Safety of the public is essential. 

Unfortunately, we are run by the most incompetent bunch you could imagine. The U.K. government! 

Is that a yes or no?

What are other EU countries doing, any restrictions there?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Is that a yes or no?

The cynic in me thinks that if this virus is shown to kill off mainly older people, they'll let nature take its course. If this is the case, it's going to be unpleasant for all of us. 

Looking at what we know, the 50+ age range seems to be copping it. Think there has been one, maybe 2 deaths under the age of 50.

Given the seemingly longer than usual incubation period, I don't think there's much chance of containment now. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Is that a yes or no?

Why should that matter to us...it's our government that controls our borders? And it's only six days till we attain full incontinence anywho...?:oldgood:

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Perhaps someone with a sensible answer will post a reply.

Ask a silly question...?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Perhaps someone with a sensible answer will post a reply.

No restrictions that have been reported

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
14 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The cynic in me thinks that if this virus is shown to kill off mainly older people, they'll let nature take its course. If this is the case, it's going to be unpleasant for all of us. 

Looking at what we know, the 50+ age range seems to be copping it. Think there has been one, maybe 2 deaths under the age of 50.

Given the seemingly longer than usual incubation period, I don't think there's much chance of containment now. 

Oh this is game over - the end of civilisation as we know it - but there will be some happy, it will cost billions of lives but we will save the planet as a result - but the consequences for those that are lucky enough to survive will mean we will be back to the stone ages as it will be mainly people in areas where there is little travel to and from that will survive.

Posted
36 minutes ago, swebby said:

Yes, reports are hidden away a bit.

Follow this link for the landing page of the situation reports as they come out.

WWW.WHO.INT

Situation reports – Situation reports provide the latest updates on the novel coronavirus outbreak. These include updated numbers of infected people and location, and actions that WHO and...

This is the one from yesterday - pdf format

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200124-sitrep-4-2019-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=9272d086_2

Thanks for that

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Oh this is game over - the end of civilisation as we know it - but there will be some happy, it will cost billions of lives but we will save the planet as a result - but the consequences for those that are lucky enough to survive will mean we will be back to the stone ages as it will be mainly people in areas where there is little travel to and from that will survive.

As I said last night, this looks to essentially be viral pneumonia but easier to catch. Viral pneumonia has a mortality rate of 1-5%...and this looks to be in that kind of bracket.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

As I said last night, this looks to essentially be viral pneumonia but easier to catch. Viral pneumonia has a mortality rate of 1-5%...and this looks to be in that kind of bracket.

The problem is with these kinds of flu like viruses - they mutate so will a vaccination be effective once developed, there is a vaccination for pneumonia but this virus is so much more likely to mutate.

Posted
3 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

No restrictions that have been reported

Thank you.

Just my opinion but I would have thought that Governments(not just ours) would have sought expert impartial medical guidance on whether or not to apply any restrictions.

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Thank you.

Just my opinion but I would have thought that Governments(not just ours) would have sought expert impartial medical guidance on whether or not to apply any restrictions.

We shouldn't have free movement of people between the UK and countries that carry out the kind of practises with animals and meat that cause the spread of these viruses in the first place but of course civil liberties come before peoples lives as per usual.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The problem is with these kinds of flu like viruses - they mutate so will a vaccination be effective once developed, there is a vaccination for pneumonia but this virus is so much more likely to mutate.

With it being a respiratory illness of the lungs, it is less likely to be spread via bodily fluids and more by coughs. Therefore the sensible thing to do would be to make it mandatory for people to wear face masks whilst in public...seeing as people seemingly can't help but cough and sneeze over all and sundry.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's because there are umpteen different diseases that often present as 'pneumonia'...such as Yersinia pestis and Legionnaires' disease. Neither of which are even viral.

Posted

With it being a respiratory illness of the lungs, it is less likely to be spread via bodily fluids and more by coughs. Therefore the sensible thing to do would be to make it mandatory for people to wear face masks whilst in public...seeing as people seemingly can't help but cough and sneeze over all and sundry.

TRue but you can still spread it by touching something after not washing hands properly so even then you would be reliant on people to be hygienic which most are not.

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Common sense is no longer common anymore I’m afraid! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

TRue but you can still spread it by touching something after not washing hands properly so even then you would be reliant on people to be hygienic which most are not.

But in that scenario there is also an onus on you to wash your hands after you've been out, don't touch your face, have designated hand/finger used to touch potentially contaminated things and use your other hand to touch your belongings (phone, wallet etc). Extreme measures but worth it if it potentially saves your life.

• Like 1

Posted

Not that usually bother with the Mirror but I tripped over this.  The pile of skinned rodents looked good. 

AgEXQXF1X2F2N2xOUUFDNC1uazFmZklsRVEAMA
APPLE.NEWS

WARNING DISTRESSING IMAGES Dirt-encrusted floors and blood splattered on walls did not put off shoppers who visited the food emporium in Wuhan, China to stock up on illegally traded animals

• Like 1

Posted

But in that scenario there is also an onus on you to wash your hands after you've been out, don't touch your face, have designated hand/finger used to touch potentially contaminated things and use your other hand to touch your belongings (phone, wallet etc). Extreme measures but worth it if it potentially saves your life.

Yes - i carry an antibacterial handwipe everywhere i go anyway and use it after every transaction i make and i even use flash wipes on my coins sometimes before i go outside.

• Like 1