Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So i need something with high alcohol content in it then - would absinth suffice?

Don't know, but it will certainty make the heart grow fonder.

• Like 1

Posted

One for the end of days merchants on here, a different view with some historical perspective.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So i need something with high alcohol content in it then - would absinth suffice?

Swebby - help! The ABC (alcohol blood count) in your body/bloodstream would never get to 70%. Your liver (a healthy one - and given other factors) can process one unit of alcohol per hour). Way before you ever got near the levels you aspire to you would have alcohol poisoning and die...(fair summary, Swebby?)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
6 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

That was my understanding too. I was just wondering how you could home-make it. Thanks for the scientific profile...

is it rubbing alcohol?

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A Victorian pleasure...

Ok I will be the first to mention this... Muslims will not going anywhere near to alcohol gel........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A Victorian pleasure...

Ok I will be the first to mention this... Muslims will not going anywhere near to alcohol gel........

Yet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
wash-hands-sign.jpg.1080x0_q100_crop-sca
WWW.MNN.COM

The threat of coronavirus has made it hard to find at stores.

This recipe is doing the rounds locally..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A Victorian pleasure...

Why not, its just drinking that is advised against, they can use it, I've been treated by nurses and doctors, that have used it in view. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

One for the end of days merchants on here, a different view with some historical perspective.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics

I think for starters we've blown way past SARS in just about all terms except mortality rate, so they clearly aren't comparable anymore (at its peak we got to 8000 cases worldwide, and 800 odd deaths, already we are multiples past that and still ramping up)

As for Swine Flu, that was really infectious (like 1 billion infected!), but even the lowest current mortality rate from South Korea is many times above that of swine flu, so I'm not sure that will be comparable either, though probably closer to the mark than SARS was.

I think this virus now has enough of a track record to at least warrant being very careful, this clearly doesn't appear to be something to underestimated given what we know so far, even if the great majority will be ok from it.

I could have agreed with this article this time last month, but given its gone worldwide and the trend is now swinging back up in terms of numbers of cases/deaths, it is a worry. If I had to guess, the 68-69 outbreak of influenza is my best guess of an outcome at the moment (1 million dead worldwide, about 0.5% death rate) though with perhaps a slightly higher death rate, and lower overall cases/deaths.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
12 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Religion and common sense, difficult bed fellows.

Religion, common sense and science! Contraception, abortion (even for morbid maternal clinical reasons - I lived in Ireland for a long time) - vaccination. A veritable battle against "les cultes"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Indeed! I think I was just shocked as to the number of people getting it and at least hoping more could have been done to stop the virus’s spread. 

More could have been done, it wasn't.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
Just now, CreweCold said:

More could have been done, it wasn't.

Yeah, which is a shame really.  

• Like 1

Posted

An interesting section on the upcoming budget during Newsnight .

And how this could mitigate the economic damage caused by the Coronavirus . I think it’s clear that just giving people some extra money is pointless as if people are staying home they’re not going to be spending that .

Stephanie Flanders hit the nail on the head , and they should aim to protect businesses who are  viable to make sure they don’t go under during the crisis .

Extending the time for taxes to be paid , some loans etc .

• Like 1

Posted

The business I work for has decided that the entire uk staff will work from home with effect from Monday as a precaution. We don’t need to self isolate but no office work for the foreseeable. 
I’m bored just thinking about it - I’ll be home alone for around 7 hours a day. Thankfully I can video chat my colleagues if needs be (I like to talk )

Our colleagues in parts of Asia have already been doing this for some weeks and I would imagine those on the continent and in North & South America will also have been given the same news today. Or will be expecting it imminently if not!

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all! Late to the 'party' this eve. Took grandson to our local Basketball match, Bristol Flyers.

Anecdotal alert - bumped into a neighbour at the match; big cheese in North Bristol NHS trust. They've been put on highest alert in last 24 hours.

You've seen a cranking up of numbers diagnosed this week.

"You aint seen nothing yet!" he said. 

NHS on high alert for major increase in next 5 days. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

An interesting section on the upcoming budget during Newsnight .

And how this could mitigate the economic damage caused by the Coronavirus . I think it’s clear that just giving people some extra money is pointless as if people are staying home they’re not going to be spending that .

Stephanie Flanders hit the nail on the head , and they should aim to protect businesses who are  viable to make sure they don’t go under during the crisis .

Extending the time for taxes to be paid , some loans etc .

Yes Nick, just been going through this myself, if everything is frozen solid in the financial sense, all you really need is food, so somehow that would have to be funded but mortgages, rent, etc could just be the same as the were before the outbreak, ok people would have to accept their mortgages would have to extend meaning they would have to work an extra year but a price worth paying, government would have to partially take over utilities temporarily and shareholders and large corporations would have to accept that their results may have to tend to zero profit for a year but that would not really matter as they couldn't be shantying it up on yachts etc because everyone would be in the same boat, a year of their lives lost, of course the people supplying and producing food, nurses, essentail public service workers would have to be compensated down the line as it would be unfair for them to work for Nothing for a year while everyone else does Jack but as long as we could feed everyone while self isolating somehow, the end result would be better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes Nick, just been going through this myself, if everything is frozen solid in the financial sense, all you really need is food, so somehow that would have to be funded but mortgages, rent, etc could just be the same as the were before the outbreak, ok people would have to accept their mortgages would have to extend meaning they would have to work an extra year but a price worth paying, government would have to partially take over utilities temporarily and shareholders and large corporations would have to accept that their results may have to tend to zero profit for a year but that would not really matter as they couldn't be shantying it up on yachts etc because everyone would be in the same boat, a year of their lives lost, of course the people supplying and producing food, nurses, essentail public service workers would have to be compensated down the line as it would be unfair for them to work for Nothing for a year while everyone else does Jack but as long as we could feed everyone while self isolating somehow, the end result would be better.

You've got this gripe with big business, but what about small businesses? 

Also, I'm sorry to pick up on what you think is such a minor point, but the food would "somehow have to be funded"???? How exactly? Funding months worth of food for a population of 60million (or whatever it is now) would be enough to cripple the economy for years...it would cost billions

Posted

21 people have tested positive on the cruise ship off the California coast .

Hopefully lessons will be learnt from the Japan incident and people won’t be left to just be sitting targets for the virus .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, emax said:

You've got this gripe with big business, but what about small businesses? 

Also, I'm sorry to pick up on what you think is such a minor point, but the food would "somehow have to be funded"???? How exactly? Funding months worth of food for a population of 60million (or whatever it is now) would be enough to cripple the economy for years...it would cost billions

No i haven't got any gripe with big business at all, all business would survive because no one would be producing anything but no one would need anything if they are not doing anything!  -  Food isn't actually that expensive, of course it would severly dent the economy but so would a huge chunk of the workforce being off sick at any one time if we carried on, and where would it end if the bug was still going around in a years time, anyhow, it only takes 15 days of self isolation from everyone and the virus has gone, as long as other countries followed suit.

• Like 2

Posted

Following on from my post earlier, expect most hospitals to have terrapin temporary buildings in place in next few days, to create isolation units, away from main hospital buildings. 

NHS, government, health authorities are ready for massive, major increase in next few days.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Donegal said:

Pence says 21 people aboard the GrandPrincess tested positive for Coronavirus: 19 crew and 2 passengers. Of the 2,422 guests and 1,111 crew members, only of 46 were tested.

46 tests and that many positives , and on top of that they only managed that paltry number of tests .

• Like 1