Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

With all the news about this virus I cannot ever remember a time when a single disease dominated it so much. With that being true is this worse than any disease that humans have faced before? Have to allow for the fact that flying alone has been responsible for its rapid spread round the world

Correct me if I am wrong but surely the military must have mobile hospital units that could be set up quickly if the need arose and targeted at hotspots? probably. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think we need to accept, throughout history, mother nature's laboratory has been very effective in population control ... the only help from humans was to play host...  modern medicine has changed the balance but nature is always inventive too.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

The 2002-2003 SARS outbreak is interesting for comparison 

• Like 1

Posted

Reading that article on the daily mail again from the chap who reckons he had it in Wuhan, i scrolled down to the comments.

Dozens and dozens of people claiming they had a respiratory illness in November/December like nothing they've ever had before.

• Like 2

Posted

For those in the wider public who think this is just like flu I would have thought the penny might have  dropped by now .

We’ve seen years with flu pandemics did they garner this much attention , were sporting events cancelled were whole towns quarantined . Do they think these decisions were taken lightly .

Admittedly the media have been over the top with the reporting but until we know much more about this virus and more accurate data regarding fatality rates then we should all take this virus extremely seriously .

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

For those in the wider public who think this is just like flu I would have thought the penny might have  dropped by now .

We’ve seen years with flu pandemics did they garner this much attention , were sporting events cancelled were whole towns quarantined . Do they think these decisions were taken lightly .

Admittedly the media have been over the top with the reporting but until we know much more about this virus and more accurate data regarding fatality rates then we should all take this virus extremely seriously .

Only need to look on Facebook to realise the penny has not dropped. Many treating as a big bore or commenting it is only like flu. Might have similarities with flu but there is a vaccine for flu that keep down the numbers. No vaccine for this outbreak. 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Reading that article on the daily mail again from the chap who reckons he had it in Wuhan, i scrolled down to the comments.

Dozens and dozens of people claiming they had a respiratory illness in November/December like nothing they've ever had before.

Think this happens every year, strange bugs that seem to differ from your usual cold or flu, just that the emergence of Covid-19 makes people more aware of what they had this year and then compare notes.

Had a cold in December that really lingered and a family member had something at the same time that resulted in a bad and persistent cough. Come January, i had something very similar to what you reported, very much like Flu but not as bad - rapid onset starting with irritation deep in the chest, not much in the way of a sore throat or runny nose, a couple of nights of very disturbed sleep with night sweats, muscle ache and some breathing difficulty. But it all cleared up surprisingly quickly. Not remotely like a normal cold but milder than Flu. May well have also been a novel virus, but unlike Covid-19, not hospitalising people, so goes by unnoticed.  Apparently, Mumps was also doing the rounds in January.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The daily update is a bit late again. Not good if it means alot of new cases today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 minutes ago, pip22 said:

The daily update is a bit late again. Not good if it means alot of new cases today.

The update is always to 9am. Unusually late today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Just had the following email from UGLE (Grand Freemasons lodge in London) 

As the Coronavirus continues to escalate, we are issuing the following urgent guidance above and beyond that issued by Public Health England. This is due to the main age demographic of our membership being in a significantly higher risk group. This advice equally applies to members of the Orders administered from Mark Masons’ Hall and members of the Ancient and Accepted Rite.

COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China in December 2019. The World Health Organization (WHO) believes COVID-19 more severely affects older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes).

Based on the WHO’s declaration that this is a public health emergency of international concern, the UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the UK from low to moderate. On 10 February, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Matt Hancock, announced strengthened legal powers to protect public health, and on the 2 March outlined the UK’s national response to the virus.

Whilst each unit may decide for itself what precautions it may wish to take, UGLE strongly suggests you follow this advice:

If you or a family member are showing signs of illness, please do not attend your Lodge or Chapter meetings and follow the guidance below.

We recommend that members consider refraining from any physical contact within the ceremonies, before or after meetings. Given the tactile nature of many ceremonies, if you or candidates are concerned about how they can take place with little or no physical contact, while maintaining their meaning and impact, you may even wish to consider postponing the ceremony until the situation has improved.

Minimise mass shared transport (i.e. coaches) to meetings.

Wash hands thoroughly before and after meetings for 20 seconds with hot water.

This advice stands whether you do or do not wear gloves during your ceremonies.

Any member who feels unwell should follow the advice from Public Health England. If a member is known to have been infected with COVID-19, then it is standard policy for Public Health to contact all those with whom he has been in contact. Full co-operation is expected to ensure the risk to other unit members – and members of the public – is minimised. We recommend the Secretary maintains physical possession of the attendance book to assist in this process.

If you are worried about a fellow member please keep in contact with them via the phone and text to keep an eye on their wellbeing.

Living in Plymouth and due to attend a meeting in April, I'm giving it serious thought about not travelling.

So far we've been lucky here in SW. London I ain't so certain about.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, thundercrazy said:

This on the BBC:

Understanding how the coronavirus is mutating is vital.

A team of Chinese scientists have effectively played a complex game of “genetic spot the difference” with 103 coronavirus samples.

Their findings suggest there are two distinct “strains” of the virus, but what this means is speculation.

The researchers have found differences in the genetic code of the two strains, but they do not show this alters the behaviour of the virus.

They do not prove one is “more aggressive” than the other, as has been reported.

That will require further experiments and the researchers themselves say the amount of data they have to work with is “still very limited”.

Dr John Campbell went through the paper that described this. The summary is:

.The old type is S type that is milder and less transmissable

.A mutation occured to produce the L type which is more virulent and more transmissable

.The L type was prevalent in the Wuhan outbreak

.Measures imposed by China means the L type was slowed

.The type that has spread around the world is likely to be the S type

It's very early though and it is a Chinese paper so treat it with caution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The update is always to 9am. Unusually late today.

I thought the daily updates at 2pm every day.

The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on this page every day at 2pm until further notice. This data is accurate as of 9am on the day of publication. -

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

1 minute ago, pip22 said:

I thought the daily updates at 2pm every day.

The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on this page every day at 2pm until further notice. This data is accurate as of 9am on the day of publication. -

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.

Sorry. I meant the figures are the 24hr period 9am but not released to 14:00

• Like 2

Posted

My sons  got two trips in the next few months to Austria,France   i have a feeling these may be cancelled   hopfully we will be refunded the money

Posted

Wow Germany has shot up from 349 cases to 480 in span of a few hours now. They are exploding now!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Wow Germany has shot up from 349 cases to 480 in span of a few hours now. They are exploding now!

Exploding is a new and hitherto unforeseen symptom.  I suspect that a mask is unlikely to assist.

• Like 9

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Matt, though a fantastic striker in his day, is not a virologist and I'm sorry but i'm getting sick of people saying "Don't worry, you're young, you should be fine" - that's great and everything, but I have elderly parents and relatives I care about as do many many other people.

If younger people don’t take precautions then they might just get a milder version but unfortunately pass it onto some elderly relatives who might not be so lucky .

The biggest obstacle to stopping the spread is the attitude of people like Matt Le Tissier! And others who have the same flippant attitude .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So what do we know of our dance with Covid-19 today?

Prof Witty, in his Govt. briefing this a.m. confirmed that our best 'modellers' (he insist probably the best in the Planet?) still go with 80% total infection before 'herd immunity' allows the Virus to peter out.

He tells us if we do not s-l-o-w the rate of infection 'Peak infection' will occur over a 3 week window with the bulk of infections occurring over that time

He challenges, via a number of caveats, W.H.O.'s CFR of 3.4 insisting his 1% (or less?) CFR more representative

What do we do?

Frequent hand cleansing esp. when out and about

Avoid 'ill' people keeping at least 3 ft clear of them, this number varies between '3ft' (from our CMO & WHO), 6ft from the Wuhan Whistleblower Dr & 9ft from the U.S. 'Coronavirus prof.'

My take?

'Le Strange's Vault' in 'Gringotts Bank' has been going on now a while in the UK & that there are significant No. of folk R currently 'asymptomatic' (but 'spreading virus?)

I Think that we need act as though it's 'HERE' and take the precautions advised?

Be Well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
22 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

French cases now upto 377 which is an increase of 92 on yesterday .

Do we know whether our bubbles are holding yet, Nick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Donald Trump has declared live on television that, as a result of a hunch, he didn’t believe the World Health Organization’s assessment of the global death rate from coronavirus of 3.4%.

“I think the 3.4% is really a false number,” he told Sean Hannity, one of his favorite conservative Fox News hosts, in a phone interview broadcast live.

“Now, this is just my hunch,” Trump began, before continuing that “based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it’s very mild – they’ll get better very rapidly, they don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor.”

He went on: “You never hear about those people, so you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population, in terms of this corona flu, and/or virus. So you just can’t do that.” (Source: Guardian live)

The bold is mine. What leadership in a time of crisis, eh...

• Like 4