Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

One can hope but I’m not sure would put money on it sadly. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "Ah, it'll all blow over" camp by any means. I think the odds are that the next few months will be grim. But if you can reduce the number of cases and deaths from X to 80% of X then that's worth having. I know I'm washing my hands more carefully now, and anecdotally several friends and family members are. So the message is getting through a bit, even if not on the scale we might like.

• Like 4

Posted

If you were living in Washington state what would you be thinking .

27 confirmed cases

9 deaths 

It seems as if the only ones being tested are those having serious complications, which has lead to that horrific fatality rate .

Clearly there are lots of people who if they had the test would be confirmed cases , but not sick enough to be admitted which would lower the CFR .

By not testing enough you both leave lots of people to infect others and at the same time can cause a huge amount of panic amongst the population if they take the CFR at face value .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The problem with this washing hands message though is the actual way to wash your hands was shown in that video on youtube which was posted on here yesterday i think, where the last touch was with a paper towel to turn the tap off, a lot of public toilets just do no have the facilities to do that, a pub i drink in didn't have no paper towels or anything to dry your hands with and until recently only had the taps you have to turn, so basically the last contact would always have to be with a tap which someone else without the hygiene principles could have touched, and anyway you still have to open a door to get out so the last contact will always be with something every one else has touched, this just clearly isn't going to cut it as far as dramatically reducing the spread is concerned.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Embargoed until Wednesday but FA will be releasing advice regarding pre match Respect 'hand shakes' to clubs in the National League System to take affect for games this weekend, until further notice. Will circulate to clubs & match officials and put link to advice on twitter.

Taken from South West Peninsula League Twitter feed. 

Posted
1 minute ago, philglossop said:

Embargoed until Wednesday but FA will be releasing advice regarding pre match Respect 'hand shakes' to clubs in the National League System to take affect for games this weekend, until further notice. Will circulate to clubs & match officials and put link to advice on twitter.

Its no good stopping the pre-match handshakes if you still shake hands at the end - you have to ban handshakes full stop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Its no good stopping the pre-match handshakes if you still shake hands at the end - you have to ban handshakes full stop.

I'd expect that as a matter of course. Common sense. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If you were living in Washington state what would you be thinking .

27 confirmed cases

9 deaths 

It seems as if the only ones being tested are those having serious complications, which has lead to that horrific fatality rate .

Clearly there are lots of people who if they had the test would be confirmed cases , but not sick enough to be admitted which would lower the CFR .

By not testing enough you both leave lots of people to infect others and at the same time can cause a huge amount of panic amongst the population if they take the CFR at face value .

Are there any figures for those who died but never were diagnosed prior to death?

Edited by Snipper

Posted
5 minutes ago, philglossop said:

They should be banning spitting to, nothing like sliding through the grass and another persons spit to spread it all over you and your clothing for them to be 'grabbed' by or pressed against other players to pass anything nasty on....

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The problem with this washing hands message though is the actual way to wash your hands was shown in that video on youtube which was posted on here yesterday i think, where the last touch was with a paper towel to turn the tap off, a lot of public toilets just do no have the facilities to do that, a pub i drink in didn't have no paper towels or anything to dry your hands with and until recently only had the taps you have to turn, so basically the last contact would always have to be with a tap which someone else without the hygiene principles could have touched, and anyway you still have to open a door to get out so the last contact will always be with something every one else has touched, this just clearly isn't going to cut it as far as dramatically reducing the spread is concerned.

On the last couple of cruises (same cruise line) I went on they had placed bins by the toilet door with a note saying use a towel to open door. There was no medical emergency just standard practice. 

• Like 3

Posted

It is going to be a disaster for USA... I foresee, most will not be able to afford to get tested. Those presenting with mild symptoms will go about their business as usual, pretending they don’t have it, only the ones that need to be hospitalised with severe symptoms and no choice will we really see be identified. What is truly troubling there will be cases which folk refuse to go to hospital and it will endanger lives. Which is why we currently have 33% mortality rate in Washington. Thank god we have free health care.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Are there any figures for those who died but never were diagnosed?

It’s being reported that out of the 9 , one person died 6 days ago and was confirmed as having the virus after wards .

Some medical professionals there think the virus has been infecting people there since mid January and some estimates put the number of cases unreported at over 700 .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Isn't football a contact sport?...You can't shake hands but you can jump all over each other, during the game...?:crazy:

And are crowds about to be taught how to do contactless goal celebrations?:unsure2:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

On the last couple of cruises (same cruise line) I went on they had placed bins by the toilet door with a note saying use a towel to open door. There was no medical emergency just standard practice. 

Same with us on P&O, back in December. When we arrived at Bridgetown port to embark first thing they told us was there had beem a few cases of notovirus on the cruise that was just finishing. Oh joy i thought, and my wife looked at me with trepidation. Luckily it cleared from ship after 1st 2 days, but their cleaning policies and instructions were brill.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

And could you see that they were definitely clean towels?  Excellent idea but unfortunately people just don't follow stuff like that, the pub i was talking about it really isn't the landlady's fault because every time something is put up it promptly gets defaced, people don't even know how to use a toilet let alone use one hygienically, there is frequently the toilet is overflowing with Tut and s*** because people have blocked it. If people are gonna behave like animals then what can you do?

Posted
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Isn't football a contact sport?...You can't shake hands but you can jump all over each other, during the game...?:crazy:

And are crowds about to be taught how to do contactless goal celebrations?:unsure2:

Yes, i think behind closed doors is the answer tbh.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 hour ago, bobbarley said:

It’s interesting how China, South Korea and hopefully Italy have managed to keep the outbreaks fairly well confined to a certain geographical area.

It provides hope that with the right measures it might be contained. Hence why WHO haven’t declared a pandemic 

So why are all our 'patient zero's from China/Italy/Iran then ?

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
19 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, that is a fair point. I think you can get around some of that by carrying one of those little packs of disposable tissues and holding one of those in your hand as you pull the door handle so your skin doesn't touch it, and then chucking the tissue. Not as easy with taps, of course. Still, as with other things, improving hand hygiene somewhat is still better than not doing it at all.

And let's face it, if things reach the worst-case scenarios then I wonder how many pubs and restaurants will be open at all. I'm not sure what the situation is with those in Italy.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Yes it’s crazy .

Let’s hope we get a lot of goalless games ! A lot of the advice is quite sensible but the football story is a bit silly .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And could you see that they were definitely clean towels?  

Paper towels to dispose in a walled bin right by door. Cleaners would go in restrooms every 15/20 mins on Azura. That was our experience anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And could you see that they were definitely clean towels?  Excellent idea but unfortunately people just don't follow stuff like that, the pub i was talking about it really isn't the landlady's fault because every time something is put up it promptly gets defaced, people don't even know how to use a toilet let alone use one hygienically, there is frequently the toilet is overflowing with Tut and s*** because people have blocked it. If people are gonna behave like animals then what can you do?

Everything was spotless. Continual cleaning throughout the ship. Difficult to find any fault. Mind you not a cheap cruise. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Everything was spotless. Continual cleaning throughout the ship. Difficult to find any fault. Mind you not a cheap cruise. 

Sounds like heaven, but thats the problem, that kind of attention to detail requires serious labour and quality labour too, and therefore doesn't come cheap.

Posted

This is a reasonably positive statement from the WHO

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus✔@DrTedros

Knowing & understanding an epidemic is the first step to defeating it.
We are in unchartered territory with #COVID19. We have never before seen a respiratory pathogen that is capable of community transmission, but which can also be contained with the right measures.

5:35 PM - Mar 2, 2020

• Like 3