Just had a major squall with hail covering everything lasted 10 mins,first wintriness this month.

Not seen a squall last that long with the amount of hail falling.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

LIVE shot decoded @ 18:20 utc. There's a Sting Jet coming. 

w2.jpg

That's probably the clearest example I have seen.

• Like 1

Well, from a totally IMBY perspective, I have to say that Storm Brendan was a bit of a damp squib. 

Ok, that squall line was reasonably impressive as it passed through, but apart from that, not much to write home about. :closedeyes:

Still nothing has come close around these parts to Storm Doris a few years ago! 
In fact I’d say that Saturday just gone was a wilder day! 

Is this about today's low.....Brother of Brendan??....In South Wales today and all the valleys are very water impacted, rivers Wye and Usk are full and fields underwater or furrows full of water. Could do without today's rain here.

Interesting read there Jo. You pose some interesting questions many of us have been asking for a while... Is anyone at Meto prepared to do an interview/write something justifying decisions and lessons learned etc. I wonder.

Yes, thanks for that Jo, some interesting comment there. IF the MetO plans to downgrade their weather warnings, how do they plan to tie it in with other countries, that may still continue to issue warnings. Cite, the ferries running to Northern Ireland and across the English Channel to France. N.I. issues a storm warning, so the ferries cancel, meanwhile the MetO don't issue anything, now who's going to be confused and frustrated, I wonder?

As to the naming of storms, it largely becomes a historic data mark, "Do you remember the storm we had in 2019,that was really bad?" ..."Which one?" ..."Oh I meant Frederick... you remember that, don't you?"...

As for the now impact, names neither add nor detract from the event..