Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Betelgeuse

Posted

Simulation of what a Betelgeuse supernova explosion might appear from the Earth

It would be amazing if Betelgeuse were to go supernova in our lifetime. Correction: If we see the explosion in our lifetime, if we see it in our lifetime, it would have exploded 650 or so years ago.

Last supernova observed within our galaxy was in 1604 famously observed by Johannes Kepler. The reminants of this is what we observed as the Crab Nebula today.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Please let it happen !  But I read it could be anytime between now and 100's of thousands of years ... hmmm.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Please let it happen !  But I read it could be anytime between now and 100's of thousands of years ... hmmm.

When it does happen, it'll be cloudy.

• Like 5

Posted
36 minutes ago, jtay said:

When it does happen, it'll be cloudy.

LoL  ...  yes indeed !  Nearly always the case !

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Simulation of what a Betelgeuse supernova explosion might appear from the Earth

It would be amazing if Betelgeuse were to go supernova in our lifetime. Correction: If we see the explosion in our lifetime, if we see it in our lifetime, it would have exploded 650 or so years ago.

I look at the simulation and am very thankful that it is over 600ly away rather than next door..

My understanding is that it probably has a while to go in terms of our view of time before going pop, a few 100,000 yrs,  but you never know?

This is the NY Times take on its recent and sudden dimming.  The story covers something that had not occurred to me, i.e that it is rather difficult to observe with large optical telescopes as it's brightness will damage sensitive optics, and, that there has been a request for amateurs with smaller telescopes to keep detailed records.

00SCI-BETELGEUSE1-videoSixteenByNineJumb
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A familiar star in the constellation Orion has dimmed noticeably since October. Astronomers wonder if its explosive finale is imminent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still dimming, latest magnitude is just 1.5

opo9604b-e1432589560732.jpg
WWW.UNIVERSETODAY.COM

The Great Dimming of Betelgeuse continues. According to astronomers, it's reached 1.5 magnitude. It's still dimming, but the dimming has slowed.

It would be interesting to see the constellaton now, when this anticylonic gloom shifts, it is normally the 11th brightest star in the night sky but it has dipped out of the top 25 at the moment. Orion would look a little odd.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It would be interesting to see the constellaton now, when this anticylonic gloom shifts, it is normally the 11th brightest star in the night sky but it has dipped out of the top 25 at the moment. Orion would look a little odd.

The skies were clear here on the east side last night and Betelgeuse could be clearly seen but has dimmed, so much so that his 'belt' is now brighter than his left shoulder..

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Yep 1.62

To be honest, looking at the above chart, it doesn't appear to be *that* unusual, but I'm going to keep following the above account.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
WWW.AAVSO.ORG
2020ue-in-NGC-4636-Rolando-Ligustri_480x
WWW.SKYANDTELESCOPE.COM

This winter, the fading of Betelgeuse caught us all by surprise. Now, we can add a new comet discovery and a bright supernova as January wraps up.

• Like 2

Posted

The mind-blowing title of which is “The Betelgeuse Apocalypse”—a reference to the eleventh-brightest star in the night sky named Betelgeuse located in the Constellation of Orion that scientists the world over are now sounding grave warnings about as it mysteriously dims to insignificance for the first time in recorded history—and is the same Constellation of Orion that, on 30 December 1983, American scientists reported finding a mysterious heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system—a discovery explaining why Betelgeuse is dimming as this mysterious heavenly body blocks out its light—and in the decades since its discovery in 1983, has been accompanied by all of the planets in our solar system mysteriously heating up—most pronounced on the planet Mars where, in 2016, scientists declared its ice age was ending—and this week saw NASA releasing dramatic photographs of a polar ice cap on Mars collapsing—all of which comes at the same time astronomers from around the world are reporting mysterious clockwork radio signals are bombarding our planet from deep in outer space—and are “signals” coming from space that, likewise, were reported by one of human history’s greatest geniuses Nikola Tesla—who on Christmas Day, 25 December 1900, wrote an urgent letter to the American Red Cross stating: “I have observed electrical actions, which have appeared inexplicable. Faint and uncertain though they were, they have given me a deep conviction and foreknowledge that ere long all human beings on this globe, as one, will turn their eyes to the firmament above, with feelings of love and reverence, thrilled by the glad news: " Brethren! We have a message from another world, unknown and remote. It reads: one ... two ... three ...”

Bring it on whatever is out there our mysterious space.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
On 24/01/2020 at 06:10, Weather-history said:

Always annoying when someone in front leaves their indicator flashing.

• Like 3

Posted

In any case your all too late - it's done and dusted - occured about 1420AD

• Like 1

Posted
On 05/02/2020 at 11:09, Yarmy said:

Yep 1.62

To be honest, looking at the above chart, it doesn't appear to be *that* unusual, but I'm going to keep following the above account.

003.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
On 10/02/2020 at 17:57, Snowyowl9 said:

The mind-blowing title of which is “The Betelgeuse Apocalypse”—a reference to the eleventh-brightest star in the night sky named Betelgeuse located in the Constellation of Orion that scientists the world over are now sounding grave warnings about as it mysteriously dims to insignificance for the first time in recorded history—and is the same Constellation of Orion that, on 30 December 1983, American scientists reported finding a mysterious heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system—a discovery explaining why Betelgeuse is dimming as this mysterious heavenly body blocks out its light—and in the decades since its discovery in 1983, has been accompanied by all of the planets in our solar system mysteriously heating up—most pronounced on the planet Mars where, in 2016, scientists declared its ice age was ending—and this week saw NASA releasing dramatic photographs of a polar ice cap on Mars collapsing—all of which comes at the same time astronomers from around the world are reporting mysterious clockwork radio signals are bombarding our planet from deep in outer space—and are “signals” coming from space that, likewise, were reported by one of human history’s greatest geniuses Nikola Tesla—who on Christmas Day, 25 December 1900, wrote an urgent letter to the American Red Cross stating: “I have observed electrical actions, which have appeared inexplicable. Faint and uncertain though they were, they have given me a deep conviction and foreknowledge that ere long all human beings on this globe, as one, will turn their eyes to the firmament above, with feelings of love and reverence, thrilled by the glad news: " Brethren! We have a message from another world, unknown and remote. It reads: one ... two ... three ...”

Bring it on whatever is out there our mysterious space.

If I ever discover a message from an alien civilisation, the first thing I'm going to do is send an urgent letter to the Red Cross. 

Posted

Posted
2 hours ago, Yarmy said:

If I ever discover a message from an alien civilisation, the first thing I'm going to do is send an urgent letter to the Red Cross. 

I saw orion the other night and it looked most strange indeed.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

When you think about it, this dimming and those images of Betelgeuse occurred around 1378. Europe was recovering from the Black Death almost 30 years previous, England had a new king on the throne, Richard II,  Chaucer was around, there was a new Pope and an antipope and it may have been the year that the Sphinx lost its nose.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
get-thumbnail.py?name=*%20alf%20Ori&size
SIMBAD.U-STRASBG.FR

The astronomical object called * alf Ori is a Red supergiant star
eso2003a.jpg
WWW.ESO.ORG

Using ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have captured the unprecedented dimming of Betelgeuse, a red supergiant star in the constellation of Orion. The stunning new images of the...

• Like 1

Posted

Betelgeuse has stopped dimming and brightening again.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted
_118951139_jan2020.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Astronomers say a cold spot and dust formation explain last year's unusual drop in brightness.