Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs of Spring 2020

Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

I've been doing a lot of landscaping in my garden (aka bog!!) since January and you can really feel the difference now, sunlight changing in both height and strength - on the few occasions the sun has been out! The air begins to smell different to me and there are green buds everywhere! Such an exciting time of year, with hopes of warmer, drier days to come.... please!!!xx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: enjoys a warm and sunny day

Sunflowers are the earliest sign of spring. This year snowdrops in New York City were first seen in Central Park on January 1 and in Stuyvesant Park on January 13. Spring is just around the corner! ))

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My back lawn has started to grow. Usually no growth at all before my birthday which is in late March and first cut not until mid April at the earliest. 
Also saw a very large bumble bee this morning.

edit. Having said that I have just noticed that I have not recorded a double figure temperature since the 1st of February. Thought it was on for today but peaked at 9.8C this afternoon.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Saw a wasp yesterday...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Blackbird started singing yesterday and at it again today!

Posted

Its snowing thats a sign of spring got a covering of snow 0.5c

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 9 months later...
Posted

Again, not to take away from the ‘hunt for cold’ or to be inflammatory in any way, I’m just starting to look for the signs to alleviate my SAD which is needed more than ever in this mad rollercoaster of a year.

First daffodil shoots now sprouting in my usual location. Our tree has finally lost all its leaves so I expect to see some buds forming soon - think they might be in for a shock!

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and I hope we all see some snow soon:)

Posted

My grass hasn't stopped growing, my hedge (Escalliona) that should flower in summer has flowers on it! Our climate really is changing at a rapid pace I'm sorry to say (as a cold/snow lover).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, drgl said:

My grass hasn't stopped growing, my hedge (Escalliona) that should flower in summer has flowers on it! Our climate really is changing at a rapid pace I'm sorry to say (as a cold/snow lover).

Yep the lawn hasnt stopped growing here either, but its just too wet to cut. Also I have got a second crop of strawberries growing, since November, but the lack of sunlight means they have stayed green unfortunately - never observed that before...

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A tad early for me although March 12 did ruin me on the cold Vs warm March debate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 hours ago, drgl said:

Grass will grow with a mean temperature of 5c, so it commonly grows through winter anyway.

Posted
8 hours ago, B87 said:

Grass will grow with a mean temperature of 5c, so it commonly grows through winter anyway.

I don't know how old you are but during the 80's I used to cut grass as a weekend job. Last cut was normally in November. Not returning until well into the new year. The climate has changed in a big way.

Posted

Grass is usually slow or no growth here as a norm too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, drgl said:

I don't know how old you are but during the 80's I used to cut grass as a weekend job. Last cut was normally in November. Not returning until well into the new year. The climate has changed in a big way.

Born in 1987. A daily mean temp of 5c is common in winter, even in cooler parts of the country where average means might only be 3-4c. Grass will grow on those days. A continuous 5c mean is how the Met Office calculate the length of the growing season, which in most of lowland England is well over 300 days per year.