Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs of Spring 2020

Azazel

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There's a few yellow bluebell like plants around here (maybe 10cm in height) but other than that not much growth yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Snowdrops out over a week ago ,similar to last year but seen some crocus out today nearly 2 weeks earlier than last year and never seen them out this early.A notmal early would be mid February.

Posted
6 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Winter hasn’t started

And possibly won’t anytime soon....

• Like 1

Posted

My daffodils are probably a couple of weeks away from flowering still. But it's nice to see the buds starting to appear on the trees.

Really hoping for a warm and dry Spring for a change, cannot be doing with another Cold March.

Posted

Snowdrops have come out widely in the last week, which seems pretty normal by recent years and a few days early longer term.  We have no crocuses or daffodils out yet, though heads are forming, so that's the same.  Shrubs and and grass are growing quite a bit in places though and trees are budding a little so they seem ahead of normal. Is the deeper ground temperature warmer? It does make you wonder what drives all this stuff since it's been pretty warm and fairly sunny yet not too dry.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted

Crocuses! Some colour at last. Plus the garlic I planted last year, that was overcome by leftover spuds from the year before and I thought had died, was 10 inches tall when I went down there to clear some ivy away. Likewise a few onions - though they're only just sprouted. The neighbours will think it looks and sounds like Spring if I get time to cut my grass tomorrow. It looks like I might not be able to do it next week for snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

In fantasty island break the Feb record again, anyone? 

image.thumb.png.8419606d2648125bcc3c0fe6349dd5cd.pngimage.thumb.png.5ba47b22a126e4b47301f5fa3c6bd2dd.png

Posted
13 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

In fantasty island break the Feb record again, anyone? 

image.thumb.png.8419606d2648125bcc3c0fe6349dd5cd.pngimage.thumb.png.5ba47b22a126e4b47301f5fa3c6bd2dd.png

I would have thought so looking at those charts!  Really not good but it is what it is these days......

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, Don said:

I would have thought so looking at those charts!  Really not good but it is what it is these days......

Fine by me, rather have early spring warmth than dull skies and 8C.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Fine by me, rather have early spring warmth than dull skies and 8C.

Not in February.  Late spring/summer fair enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Not in February.  Late spring/summer fair enough!

February is the new March.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Another 20*C day this Feb?  Fingers crossed here.

No, I doubt it. I would guess a 16-17c isn’t out of the question. The nights are still too long, and while I don’t write a 20c off, it’s less likely.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No, I doubt it. I would guess a 16-17c isn’t out of the question. The nights are still too long, and while I don’t write a 20c off, it’s less likely.

Although I wouldn't want those sorts of temps in February either, it would be much better than 70f like last year.  That was just bizarre and freaky and to have a repeat so soon after would be a tad concerning!  However, as I alluded to in my earlier post, the World is a different place now.....

Edited by Don

Posted

Great swathes of snowdrops round here are now in full bloom, chives are up and ready for harvest but, maybe most telling, we have had frogs 'calling' in the pond outside our house for nearly a week now. That is a good three weeks earlier than normal. Let's hope they don't get caught by a cold snap.

Posted

Oh and I can add there are a reasonable number of wild primroses coming into bloom on some road and path edges.

Blue tits have started nesti building in their box.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

There were a number of times in the 80s/early 90s where the Daffodills were flattened by snow in April.That is not going to happen this year as they will have been and gone.

Posted

Can't cut my grass because it's too wet with melting frost. Definitely needs doing. Maybe tomorrow. I did manage to sit out for a cup of coffee at lunchtime. 1st time this year. Usually happens around early to mid Feb. Rarely, March or late Jan. So maybe a few days ahead of typical.

Posted
21 hours ago, Don said:

Although I wouldn't want those sorts of temps in February either, it would be much better than 70f like last year.  That was just bizarre and freaky and to have a repeat so soon after would be a tad concerning!  However, as I alluded to in my earlier post, the World is a different place now.....

I’m half with you, but I still believe in cycles. We’ve been stuck in a mild cycle(apart from 17/18) since late 2013. It’s bound to end at some point. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Mylo and I saw our first hedgehog foraging about on our walk this evening, a good size and clearly taking advantage of both "bin night" and the few slugs and snails which have emerged.

• Like 1