Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs of Spring 2020

Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Signs of spring. Fleeting 12°C uppers at GFS D10, would verify unlike snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Have a feeling a late cold spell could slow the daffs. 

Too late to slow them, they’re already out!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Could well do, but it's all speculation about a cold spring at this stage.  The mild weather could march on unabated!

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Could well do, but it's all speculation about a cold spring at this stage.  The mild weather could march on unabated!

I don’t think it will. The weather will turn cold, when we don’t want it to.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t think it will. The weather will turn cold, when we don’t want it to.

After the winter we've endured so far, I will take cold weather in spring, even if snow is very short lived.  Obviously I would much rather have snow in December or January, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to snow, especially in this country!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

Been a unusual winter up here in the Hebrides. Still having to cut back rambling roses and on the hedges as they have barely stopped if slowed a little.

Pruning trees today and noticed I'm too late this winter with sap rising already and all the trees coming into bud. Usual bulbs coming up.. daffs and crocus, the snowdrops were up in early December.

We are usually a bit milder here due to the gulf stream but this looks like being another decidedly difficult horticultural year coming up.

Edited by Craig Cameron
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Don said:

After the winter we've endured so far, I will take cold weather in spring, even if snow is very short lived.  Obviously I would much rather have snow in December or January, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to snow, especially in this country!

I’m on the other way. While I like to have cold seasonal weather, I look forward to warmer weather by the time we get to mid late March. By this time I’m usually fed up by damp and cool conditions. 

i know this winter has been mild, but it’s also been quite bleak and damp. 

I’ll take a cold snowy spell, but not after mid March please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

My snowdrops have just started to flower... Which is kinda about normal time for them. :oldsmile:
But also on one day last week, (could have been Wednesday or Thursday? Can't remember, as I've got a lot going on at the moment), It was really spring like, as I was working outside in just a t-shirt! ... And jeans and boots... Obviously! Lol :oldp:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, it will probably be cold and cloudy with 13c temps in May, when we want the warm weather. 

Agree, this is the problem with our climate here in the UK, in mild winters like now many days in May I have recorded max temps in Single figure...I would not be surprised if this happens this year... that’s what’s so frustrating with our weather so out of sync...

Posted

There’s not much sign of spring in London, while winter has been mild not outrageously so the daffs aren’t out in 2015 they came out in December. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

There’s not much sign of spring in London, while winter has been mild not outrageously so the daffs aren’t out in 2015 they came out in December. 

London has been fairly chilly during January. Especially the last week, cold sunny and cold foggy days. 

2015/16 did have some colder days in January, but the colder weather was more frequent during March of that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, it will probably be cold and cloudy with 13c temps in May, when we want the warm weather. 

Knowing how recent summers have been we’ll probably exceed 40C at some point, seems we break heat records with ease these days. I don’t care at all about winter now, I just want nice weather in summer. In fact, I’d happily never see snow ever again if every summer from now on could be warm and sunny. The older I get the less I care if it snows or not.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

London has been fairly chilly during January. Especially the last week, cold sunny and cold foggy days. 

2015/16 did have some colder days in January, but the colder weather was more frequent during March of that year.

My stats say otherwise the last week however has been a lot more normal but not cold.

My average tmax to 25th is 9.6 (+1.5) and tmin 4.9 (+1.8) the tmean is 7.0 I’m not sure I’d called this month exceptional but certainly mild. London has not been chilly or really anywhere for that matter. 

It has been outrageously dull, not sure if you’re on another planet but the nice sunny days have been very fleeting. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

No sign of any daffs here, but the tulips in the pots near the door are just poking through the soil, which is earlier than last year. I know it's been a very grey and wet winter, but it's sure not been a cold one so far. EDF have reduced my fuel direct debit by a tenner/month  so that tends to prove my point..

Posted

A few daffs in bloom in select spots here in east London (at work)

Posted
19 hours ago, Daniel* said:

My stats say otherwise the last week however has been a lot more normal but not cold.

My average tmax to 25th is 9.6 (+1.5) and tmin 4.9 (+1.8) the tmean is 7.0 I’m not sure I’d called this month exceptional but certainly mild. London has not been chilly or really anywhere for that matter. 

It has been outrageously dull, not sure if you’re on another planet but the nice sunny days have been very fleeting. 

I live in London, no need to be so insulting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An early look at spring from the weather outlook 

Summary

Tentative suggestions for the coming spring are:

1) Over the 3 month period temperatures are more likely to be above average than below

2) A slightly drier than average season is weakly favoured

3) Early in the season there is an increased risk of cold spells

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=hpnews&id=5167&title=Spring+2020

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On 26/01/2020 at 15:01, Sunny76 said:

Not sure you can describe a month running at 2 to 2.5c above normal throughout as fairly chilly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

when i was back in England ..i saw a rogue large tree might have been a horse chesnut ..already in leaf..something i have not seen before..wasn't old leaves from last season..all fresh leaves look like was a week or so into leaf.