Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs of Spring 2020

Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Song thrush singing its spring/territorial song .... grass is greener then usual but a hard frosty spell could put that back, the usual bulbs are showing through, nowt unusual there, hazel "lambs tails" are starting to drop, ive seen a few now, but then again thats not unusual. feline willows are starting to show though, that is a bit early.

Signs of spring are clearly here, but so far i dont think theres anything particularly advanced.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What better place for early signs of Spring than in the bottom right-hand corner of this morning's GFS 00Z Operational?

h850t850eu.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

What better place for early signs of Spring than in the bottom right-hand corner of this morning's GFS 00Z Operational?

h850t850eu.png

1500 miles North west please:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 04/01/2020 at 21:17, Don said:

We all have our weather preferences which is fine but it is winter, so now is the time for cold/snow lovers to be out in force, even if it is a waste of time this year!

When summer arrives, the heat/thunder lovers will be out in force and if it turns out to be a washout like 2012, and there are moans, you could say not everyone is obsessed with summer!

Hiya @Don :oldsmile:
What I meant was I have no problem with anyone's weather preferences, but to save ruining threads for others I personally will always try and keep to a relevant thread... For example I love those early glimpses/tastes of autumn that we tend to get during the later part of the summer, but I will try to post them in the autumn thread (which is usually running) rather than upset the summer lovers in the summer thread. Likewise, I'm not keen on winter much these days, so I tend to keep out of the winter thread, and when I see the signs of spring I'll post in the spring thread... But the other year, the spring thread was temporarily closed, which kinda left me feeling like 'you will use the winter thread'! ... So I didn't really bother posting after that.  

And moving swiftly back on topic... My snowdrops and daffodils are sprouting nicely at the moment. :oldgood:

Posted

No flowers yet. Early shoots around 2 inches, maybe a few at 3, probably slightly behind recent years.  I did my final autumn lawn cut a week ago. I had been unable to before that because it had been far too wet with rain and then heavy misty/foggy dews and light frosts in December, before finally drying out a few days after Christmas. The final cut around the end of October is usually as much leaves as grass. The 10 bags I dumped on my compost heap were all leaves. Now the leaves are gone, I see have a lot more moss than normal. I did notice the aubrieta hanging down the wall looks to be growing so that might come out early.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
On 11/01/2020 at 14:08, Dangerous55019 said:

Hiya @Don :oldsmile:
What I meant was I have no problem with anyone's weather preferences, but to save ruining threads for others I personally will always try and keep to a relevant thread... For example I love those early glimpses/tastes of autumn that we tend to get during the later part of the summer, but I will try to post them in the autumn thread (which is usually running) rather than upset the summer lovers in the summer thread. Likewise, I'm not keen on winter much these days, so I tend to keep out of the winter thread, and when I see the signs of spring I'll post in the spring thread... But the other year, the spring thread was temporarily closed, which kinda left me feeling like 'you will use the winter thread'! ... So I didn't really bother posting after that.  

And moving swiftly back on topic... My snowdrops and daffodils are sprouting nicely at the moment. :oldgood:

No problem @Dangerous55019! 

Talking about signs of spring, whilst out for a walk on Saturday, I noticed lots of daffodil shoots and it felt like March, rather than January!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure there are some small buds on the tree in our back garden, which only lost the last of its leaves completely just before Christmas. Other larger looking buds on the blossom trees near the local park - not sure what trees they are though, but when they bloom, they produce bright pink blossom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

I'm pretty sure there are some small buds on the tree in our back garden, which only lost the last of its leaves completely just before Christmas. Other larger looking buds on the blossom trees near the local park - not sure what trees they are though, but when they bloom, they produce bright pink blossom.

They sound like Japanese cherries, very popular trees in the UK despite being rather short-lived here and prone to disease. Hopefully we won’t get a freezing cold Spring that’ll ruin all the blossom

Posted
26 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

They sound like Japanese cherries, very popular trees in the UK despite being rather short-lived here and prone to disease. Hopefully we won’t get a freezing cold Spring that’ll ruin all the blossom

I think you might be right. I just checked when walking the dog and there's always one tree that's well ahead of his peers and he does indeed have fat pinkish/purple buds on him.

I'm putting money on a cold spring unfortunately. Northern blocking just in time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I think you might be right. I just checked when walking the dog and there's always one tree that's well ahead of his peers and he does indeed have fat pinkish/purple buds on him.

I'm putting money on a cold spring unfortunately. Northern blocking just in time.

Usual story, isn’t it? I suppose it’s always been more likely to get cold and snow in March than in December. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Azazel said:

Not according to the January GLOSEA5 update for February, March and April.  No hints of northern blocking with a Euro high ruling the roost!

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

What about a snooker referee getting stung by a wasp?

Not the first time either, there was a wasp buzzing around Sean Murphy a couple of years ago at the same venue. He was terrified IIRC Never seen one at the darts at the Ally Pally tho...

Posted
On 14/01/2020 at 13:35, Azazel said:

And a poor May and early June to follow. I just have a bad feeling.

• Like 1

Posted

Down 'ere on the sarf coast we are well ahead with the season, the garden is just sprouting everywhere, with pink blossom on some of the trees. Also of note as a downside, flies have not disappeared at all, still getting them entering the house, for the last couple of months. One of those things with a warm winter I suppose the likes of the common fly does not get killed off..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Feels very different here hasn got above 6c and low cloud and mist all day, yesterday felt very spring like compared to today here