Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Memorable and Remarkable Weather Events of the 2010s

Weather Events of the 2010s  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which weather event was the most remarkable of the 2010s?

• Nov-Dec 2010 - Exceptional cold and snow
    • April 2011 - Warmest on record
    • October 2011 - Record high maximum temperature
    • March 2013 - Very cold and snowy
    • Winter 2013-14 - Wettest on record and very stormy
    • July 2015 - record high maximum temperature
    • November 2015 - record high maximum temperature
    • December 2015/Winter 15-16 - Warmest and wettest December on record, very mild and wet winter
    • Feb-Mar 2018 - Significant snow and record low March maximum temperature
    • Summer 2018 - Warmest on record
    • February 2019 - Exceptional warmth and record high February and Winter maximum temperature
    • July 2019 - Historic heatwave breaking all-time record maximum temperature
    • December 2019 - Provisional record high maximum temperature
    • Other

Posted

The 2010s had no shortage of significant weather events in the United Kingdom. The decade began with some of the most notable winter weather in decades including the historic cold of Devember 2010. And the decade ended with new monthly maximum temperatures being set  in 3 months, including 20C being reached for the first time in February and the all time UK maximum temperature of 38.7C in July. The decade droughts, at the beginning of the decade and in the summer of 2018, record rainfall and significant flooding - most notably in 2013-14 and December 2015. There were some remarkable periods of weather including the unseasonable warmth of April 2011, December 2015 and February 2019, and cold of March 2013 and the very stormy and wet winter of 2013-14. The decade also saw some significant storms including ex-Hurricane Ophelia and the gales of 2011-12. And there was an abundance of notable warm weather events and records. After a decade of a variety of extremes and records it's difficult to choose which event stands out the most.

Personally, breaking the winter record maximum temperature record so emphatically was particularly exceptional, possibly more so than breaking the all time UK maximum in July. The historic cold of late Nov-December 2010 personally stands out the most and will probably stand out even more in the future in the context of climate change. Honourable mentions go to the cold and snow of March 2013, the relentless wind and rain of 2013-14, the exceptionally mild and wet Dec 2015, The Beast from the East and summer of 2018. 

The most memorable weather events depend on your location and interest. Localised events such as snowfalls, thunderstorms and gales vary from to place so some people would regard the snowfall of Jan 2019 as locally more notable than 2010, 2013, 2018. Depending on taste some prefer more benign anti-cyclonic periods and consider a quiet and pleasant period of settled and sunny conditions as more memorable than more dramatic events. 

My most memorable highlights from the 2010s include: the heavy snowfalls at the end of November and early December 2010. Thunder snow on the 26th November followed by a larger snowfall on the 28th. Snow showers driven by an easterly wind interspersed with clear intervals defines that spell. The 6th-8th December was especially memorable with a large snowfall on the 6th causing chaos in central Scotland followed by sunshine and very cold temperatures - a maximum of -8C on the 7th. The week leading up to Christmas - despite lacking in snow - was extremely cold with daytime highs of -3 to -5 and lows of -7 to -14. 

The gale on the morning of January 3rd 2012 easily surpassed the much hyped event on December 8th. Maximum mean wind speed of over 58mph and gusts of 89mph were damaging and brought down a number of trees. This was the most notable gale I can remember. 

March 2013 was memorable for how unusual it was to have a prolonged cold spell so late in the season. For a period of two weeks daytime temperatures got no higher than 6C and snow fell on almost everyday. Despite snow depths no more than an inch which melted in the sun, the fact this cold spell took place during the second half of March made it all the more impressive and changed perspectives of what is possible for winter weather in Spring. 

Jan-Jul 2018 was a very memorable period of weather with some decent polar maritime snow throughout the winter - after mid January inparticular. 

The Beast from the East was quite an experience, a phenomenon. The heavy snow commenced on the evening on the 27th February 2018 and continued into the 1st March. A rare red warning for snow was issued on the 28th for large parts of central Scotland. The 28th was quite a remarkable day. Frequent whiteouts of dry powdery snow accompanied by strong, bitterly cold easterlies. The maximum at Glasgow airport was -3C, considering the lowest maximum for the second half of winter in Glasgow in the previous 45 years was -1C, to record such a low temperature on the last day of winter and accompanied by strong winds and heavy snow was seriously impressive. The first of March was the latest date the temperature failed to exceed 0C at Glasgow airport. The maximum snow depth was 26cm, the highest total since I started recording in 2010 and easily one of the largest snowfalls in the previous 30 years. 

Cold and wintry weather continued into April and Spring didn't properly get underway until after mid April. Summer arrived in mid May with warm, dry and settled conditions persisting into early June with the exception of the odd thunderstorm - one of which one of the more impressive of the past 10 years. The end of June to mid July was persistently warm and dry with 21C recorded each day from 24 June to 14 July and no rainfall between 21 June and 10 Jul. The highlight was easily the 28th June with temperstures of 31C at Glasgow airport - the highest since I'm at least 43 years - and just under 32C at Glasgow Bishopton. 

Other memorable events include the continuation of the Big Freeze in January 2010. The second half of January 2015 was very decent with two decent falls of snow each followed by a week long period of settled and crisp winter conditions. March 2012 was very memorable for a record breaking warm spell with temperatures into the 20s in Scotland. May 2012 had a hearwave which broke records in Scotland, temperatures in the mid-high 20s in Glasgow. February 2018 was had some very pleasant, settled winter conditions. July 2013 had an excellent two week warm spell and July 2014 also had an excellent heatwave. 

Here's a selection of notable weather events of the 2010s

Winter 2009-10: Coldest since 1979 with a notable period of prolonged and at times severe cold and snow lasting until mid Jan.

Nov/Dec 2010: Severe cold and snow from late November persisting throughout December. Coldest UK December in over 100 years, 2nd coldest in CET series 

April/Spring 2011: Warmest April (11.8 CET) and Spring on record (UK mean 9.15) 

Autumn 2011: Warm - second warmest Autumn on record (12.43 CET). All-time October daily maximum temperature with 29.9C on 1st Oct at Gravesend. 

Winter 2011-12: 'Hurricane Bawbag' 8 December 2011. 3 Jan 2012 most severe storm in Scotland since 1998.

March 2012: Warm and dry - 5th warmest March on record (8.3 CET) and 5th driest since 1910 (37mm) and temperatures in the low 20s. 

2010-12: Drought in England and Wales. One of the driest two-year periods in over 100 years.

April-July 2012: Record rainfall - wettest April (128mm), June (149mm) and second wettest summer (379.2mm) on record.

March 2013: 2nd coldest March (UK mean 2.2) since 1910 with significant snow and very low temperatures in the second half of the month. 

July 2013: Heatwave - 4th warmest since 1910 (UK mean 17.0).

Winter 2013-14: Exceptionally wet and stormy - wettest on record (544.9mm) and wettest January (188mm) and 3rd wettest February (169.2mm) with significant flooding and stormiest in 20 years.

2014: Warmth - Warmest year on record (9.91). 6th warmest winter (5.22), 3rd warmest Spring (9.05) and 3rd warmest Autumn (10.87).

1st July 2015: Record heat - 36.7C at Heathrow sets new July record.

November 2015: Record warmth - A maximum of the 22.4C at Trawsgoed, Ceredigion the warmest November temperature on record. 

December 2015 and Winter 15/16: Exceptionally mild and wet - December 2015 mildest (9.7 CET) and wettest (218.8mm) on record. Significant flooding, 341.4mm at Honister Pass, Cumbria sets new 24hr record on 5th December. Second mildest winter (6.67 CET) on record and second wettest on record (509.1mm).

September 2016: Heatwave - seconds warmest since 1910 (14.6), 34.4C at Gravesend on the 13th the warmest September temperature since 1911.

2017: Warmth - Joint warmest Spring (9.15) since 1910 followed by warmest June temperature since 1976 -34.5C at Heathrow on the 21st June.

16 October 2017 - Ex-hurricane Ophelia - potent post-tropical Hurricane making making landfall in Ireland. 

Feb-Mar 2018 - The Beast from the East - a very notable spell of significant snow and very low temperatures. -4.7C at Tredegar, Blaenue Gwenton set the record for the coldest March maximum temperature on the 1st.

April 2018: Exceptional warmth - 29.1C on the 19th at St James Park the highest April temperature since 1949. 15.9C at Kenley Airfield the highest April minimum temperature on record. 

Summer 2018: Heatwave - The joint second warmest May since 1910 (12.1) followed by an exceptionally long period of warm, dry and sunny weather in June and July. The warmest summer since 1910 (UK mean 15.8). June was the 3rd warmest (14.8) and July the 2nd (17.3).

February 2019: Exceptional warmth - the 2nd warmest February since 1910 (6.0). 20C recorded in winter for the first time - a maximum of 21.2C on the 26th February the warmest winter temperature on record. A minimum of 13.9C on the 23rd at Achnagart, Highland the warmest February minimum temperature on record.

25th July 2019: Historic heat - A maximum of 38.7C at Cambridge Botanic Gardens on the 25th the warmest temperature ever recorded in the UK.

Jun-Dec 2019: Rainfall - Heavy rainfall causing floods in Lincolnshire in June, flash flooding from thunderstorms in Yorkshire in late July, and severe floods in South Yorkshire in November. 

December 2019: Warmth - A maximum of 18.7C at Achfary, Highland on the 28th provisionally the warmest December temperature on record 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The 2010s: 1 all-time low, 11 all-time highs. 

_108131596_039429698.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The year 2019 saw several high temperature records in the UK - concluding a record-breaking decade.

• Like 1

Posted

Even though I am a coldie, I had to vote summer 2018. The warmest summer ever and the July average record almost threatened. I think if August didn't "crap out" it'd have been a big all-time winner.

Second choice for me is Winter 2009/10 - AMAZING! I'd love a repeat.  

Autumn 2014 deserves a shout for it's warmth, but I won't vote for it as I had a horrible time in the October that year. 

Edited by nn2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I have to go with the summer of 2018 being the most remarkable for me, but that joins with the cold and snow 2010, although my interest in weather was very little so it doesn’t jog my memory as much.

Posted
On 03/01/2020 at 20:11, General Cluster said:

The 2010s: 1 all-time low, 11 all-time highs. 

_108131596_039429698.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The year 2019 saw several high temperature records in the UK - concluding a record-breaking decade.

2020's likely to be warmer still.....

Posted
5 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

It wasnt just record surface temperatures in 2019 but record upper temps too. 
Most of the country under 31 to 35C uppers in June.

Do you not mean 21 to 25c uppers?

I agree though, with the summer like weather in February, exceptional uppers in June and July and of course the record breaking temperature of 38.7C in Cambridge, 2019 was an eye opener!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the end I went for Nov/Dec 2010 - a particularly remarkable spell of weather considering how early it was in the season, and in spite of the general warming trend.  

One event that sticks out a bit for me and that isn't on the list (although I'd put it behind some of the events on the list) was the return of "cold zonality" in the winter of 2014/15, which was associated with the persistent North Atlantic cold pool and an unusually cold winter for recent years in the Canadian Arctic.  There were widespread snow events from westerly winds around 14 January, 29 January and at the beginning of March, and some less widespread ones in December and February as well.  Overall the winter was just slightly milder than average despite being mostly westerly-dominated.  It was also an exceptionally sunny winter in many central and eastern parts of the country.   The winter of 2017/18 and late January 2019 also had some episodes of cold zonality, though of course eclipsed somewhat by the two Beasts from the East in late February and March 2018.  It has been reassuring to see as prior to 2015 I had thought that perhaps widespread snow events from westerlies had become a thing of the past due to our warmer climate.

Another event that sticks out for me is the cold spell of January 2013, when a large swathe of Britain was snow-covered for almost a fortnight, despite the month as a whole being near or just slightly colder than average.  I spent the month in the Vale of York and recorded 13 consecutive mornings with lying snow.  Norwich, where I spent a few years of my life, also had a similarly long period of snow cover, as well as one or two minima below -10C away from the central part of the city.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Tough one this a fight between dec 2010 and March 2013. Dec 2010 edges it just the depth of cold was significant. Late March was exceptional as well it felt like mid winter with daily means around freezing mark. Honoury mention may to July 2018 best spell of summer weather since June to July 2006 but not on a par with late June to end August 1995 though it came at the perfect time for maximum sunshine and light levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

December 2010 by a country mile, I genuinely don't think we'll see a month like it again.

A good second is December 2015, the warmth in that month was extraordinary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'd say it had to be the November - December 2010 snow event and the 2018 beast from the east.

Id like to say we had significant thunderstorm events, but I didn't....

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Highlights too many to count.

The whole decade was cooler than the 2000`s official now with an unbelieable amount much more snow measured here overall and more snow than the 90`s.

sun-UK-e1578144066504.jpg?fit=906%2C576&
ELECTROVERSE.NET

Taking the agency's data as read, the 2010's have come out COOLER than the 2000's -- the Met may be in control of the spin, but it hasn't been able to fudge the...

I'll believe that whe someone prints the actual data. That can be for the UK only or the whole world.

Anyone got the relevant data?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I went for Nov-Dec 2010 as well.

Bedford had an amazing thunderstorm one year (escapes me) so that would be a close second.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
On 08/01/2020 at 17:49, Sceptical said:

5th January 2010.

Car temperature -25.5C.

Coldest UK temperature I've experienced.

I think the lowest I noticed on the car thermometer during that spell was -18C, but can't be sure how accurate that was. Why? Well the temp display on that  car never was accurate after that morning, always a few degrees out Irrespective of the weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

For me Winter 2009/2010: Very snowy & cold with decent depths of snow during all 3 Winter months. Got down to -17.7C here in the January. Just a fantastic Winter. Easily the best since the mid 80s.

November & December 2010 for me was more notable for the early cold & snow. But the following January & February was disappointing. February in particular was very mild. Overall that Winter got out the blocks quick but petered out after Boxing Day to virtual nothingness for the rest of the Winter. The cold however, for UK standards was extremely potent while it lasted. 

I quite enjoyed Summer 2018 - overall probably the best round here since 1995. It wasn't particularly humid & there was a lot of sunny days. Not seen the grass round here as yellow for as long since that 1995 Summer. The downside was the moorland fires & the smoke often drifted over leading to poor air quality here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 08/01/2020 at 17:45, johnholmes said:

I'll believe that whe someone prints the actual data. That can be for the UK only or the whole world.

Not a shock, 2010, 2012 and 2013 were all colder than any year the prior decade.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I think the lowest I noticed on the car thermometer during that spell was -18C, but can't be sure how accurate that was. Why? Well the temp display on that  car never was accurate after that morning, always a few degrees out Irrespective of the weather. 

That reading was taken after the Range Rover went tits up approaching Whitehouse. Pulled over, rang the garage and told them what the fault was. Initially they advised shutting the engine down and they'd send a recovery vehicle. I explained what the temperature was and they told me just to keep driving in. As requested, I took a picture of the display reading as Aberdeen was only -12C.

Car thermometers are usually accurate as they are mounted internal to the bodywork so as not to be affected by wind. I stopped to assist a motorist that had broken down beside the Tough junction as she said she had noticed -24C.

Before the car broke down, I took the Rottweiler out for his morning walk, the garden thermometer was reading -22C. The dog was not best pleased and tried a couple of times to run back up the road to the house.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Not a shock, 2010, 2012 and 2013 were all colder than any year the prior decade.

If only the first decade, AD, had had 10 years in it --- instead of 9!:oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

December 2010 by some distance. Absolutely STUNNING month.

I'd wager we won't see a December like that again in most of our life times.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

While a December that cold would be a stretch I suspect we probably will manage some stunning months. Although the link between the solar cycle overall and CET is not terribly strong there is a link for deep minima being predisposed to cold winter months. We had pretty weak minima between the 1920’s and 1990’s.

Posted
On 08/01/2020 at 17:45, johnholmes said:

It is for the UK I did hear it last week,I know the CET is cooler to the 00`s checking it the other day.

2010 was the 5th coldest year since 1960 at least.

Posted

For single events, the rainfall of 5 December 2015 was unsurpassed in these parts, significant flooding in the Lake District, affected many businesses and homes. A torrid time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 09/01/2020 at 13:25, Sceptical said:

That reading was taken after the Range Rover went tits up approaching Whitehouse. Pulled over, rang the garage and told them what the fault was. Initially they advised shutting the engine down and they'd send a recovery vehicle. I explained what the temperature was and they told me just to keep driving in. As requested, I took a picture of the display reading as Aberdeen was only -12C.

Car thermometers are usually accurate as they are mounted internal to the bodywork so as not to be affected by wind. I stopped to assist a motorist that had broken down beside the Tough junction as she said she had noticed -24C.

Before the car broke down, I took the Rottweiler out for his morning walk, the garden thermometer was reading -22C. The dog was not best pleased and tried a couple of times to run back up the road to the house.

in my experience here..is that car thermometers always read approx 2c higher than the actual recorded temp both in winter and summer

• Like 2