Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Happy New Year!

31 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Indeed, I still have a callous/lump on my right middle finger from the hundreds of charts I plotted prior to becoming a forecaster and drawing them up.

Good afternoon 

Hi John what are your thoughts as we move towards the end of January and into February. Do you think there is still a chance to scrape something cold from this winter. I know the theme going forward seems to be focussed on a lot of high pressure around .I think a lot of people had expectations of a brekthrogh towards the end of January (which could still happen) we have seen pattern changes happening overnight but to me I can't see anything positive in terms iof cold or snow in the coming days.

i had much hoped that we would see a trend in European temperatures lowering, but still there is nothing drastically cold. The high pressure has been a real spoiler of this winter and experience does say that these highs can be the best for summer but the nightmare of winter. 

I think going forward we need to see some changes happening if we are going to get anything of what's left this winter. 

Hope you all have s great weekend

kind regards

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Indeed, I still have a callous/lump on my right middle finger from the hundreds of charts I plotted prior to becoming a forecaster and drawing them up.

Not forgetting the Met Rece plots John/ Just sneaked in to our day

http://www.202-sqn-assoc.co.uk/metrecce.html

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

but the glosea sees a possible ssw.

but matt hugos tweet suggests different.

still reckon feb will surprised depending how the sww works out.

be nice to have the latter displaced vortex over the siberian side of the pole and maintaining that location.

big ask i know.its been worse than 2014..

id say if the gfs and gefs along side jma for stratospheric warming event strengthens over the coming days, then there's a possibility especially if the glosea had this idea in its projection going forward.

let us be surprised then 

image.thumb.png.03c37330181f0cc361e366bad91d347a.pngimage.thumb.png.0296810dcc9a8952bf08170adbcf4d49.png

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Will we see that all-time warmest January CET? My guess would be that, though close, it'll nae quite make it this time...?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

So we await the arrival of the SSW then...should it even deign to appear?:shok:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Will we see that all-time warmest January CET? My guess would be that, though close, it'll nae quite make it this time...?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

So we await the arrival of the SSW then...should it even deign to appear?:shok:

Well in recent times Jan 2007 was pretty close to the all time record at 7.0.  The following year in 2008 saw another notably mild January as well.  I get the feeling that given the upcoming anticyclonic spell which will likely be cool enough to drag the CET down into the 6s, it is now looking less likely that this month will make it to the 1916 level of 7.5, but we could well end up with a month to rival the more recent notably mild Januarys in 2007 and 2008.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Not forgetting the Met Rece plots John/ Just sneaked in to our day

http://www.202-sqn-assoc.co.uk/metrecce.html

It only happened to me once thank goodness-the most complicated code ever I should imagine!

• Like 1

Posted

spacer.pngECM 0z @ 240

spacer.pngECM 12z @ 240

spacer.pngECM 12 z uppers @ 240

A little bit better at the end from ECM 12z in comparison to the 0z but hardly enough to get carried away with yet. 

The good news is that the GFS has been pointing at a cold Northwesterly for 28th / 29th Jan too for several runs  . So there is still hope

spacer.pngGEFS 12z control run @ 240

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Ecm looks pretty decent at the end again, yet not a single comment on the run! 

Yes looks good, very good even, but the big question is will it still be there on the 00z run though?

ECE1-240.png

ECE0-240.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Thanks Dennis for you stratosphere plots earlier. Theres a possibility of complications with model projections due to the current period of heights. But the Ecm slows the trend slightly enables a warm flow of the Greenland iceshelf a precursor of a stratospheric warming. There's also alot of warm wave activity which is somewhat putting enormous pressure on the vortex holding it over the Eastern side of the pole double whammy would be a stratospheric warming which could possibly aid in a cold end to winter into spring. The vortex is definitely wobbling this allows pressure rises in unexpected places this then also desrupts the vortex further. But we shall see the cold troposphere verses the warm stratosphere. 50/50 but the Ecm is not the worst tonight. 

Edited by MR EXTREMES
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Ecm looks pretty decent at the end again, yet not a single comment on the run! 

It is what it is when the NH profile is zonal, it is the best we can expect. But for most it will be fleeting followed by a rise in temps and for the south a bit "meh". However, I will be grateful of something more interesting and some cold days followed by a NW'ly cold airflow will do for the time being. Maybe a rinse and repeat to follow if the pattern does not change.

Though I would add that post-D8 remains fluid as the three main models show at D10:

ECE1-240.thumb.gif.39e5cc84a9f6e36bec12806a7fdc96a7.gifgfseu-0-240.thumb.png.de2904aaf23cbda77e735b0a4bad9945.pnggemeu-0-240.thumb.png.1c4b3ab77d665cdca2e24a51d209a784.png

They are a variation on a theme and usually they meet in the middle, and that will be another damp squib. It is not until D12 that the GFS op gives us that NW'ly (supported by control). But this keeps being delayed so it seems on the never never at the moment! Neither the GEM or GFS mean supports the ECM op or the GFS D12 NW'ly so a way to go before we get unanimity for a 48h cold burst and compared to the January so far small pickings indeed (3.9c above average before today)! We shall see...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
21 minutes ago, LRD said:

Yep good post

ECM is the best run and that is saying something for how 'meh' the forecast looks for those of us in lowland Southern England

The IOD is something I will also keep an eye out for in the autumn, along with...

QBO, ENSO, SST's, MJO and bloody BBC, HRT, S&M, AC/DC and anything else that will no doubt scupper cold for winter 2020/21. Yes this is the first 'winter is over' post for next year!! 

Out of that lot, I can only say that I'm pretty sure the QBO will be favourable!

Joking aside, I remember listing some of these teleconnection factors that can affect UK winter, early in the season, but said that not knowing the pecking order was an issue.  My personal pecking order has changed as a result of this winter with, yes, the IOD a new entry straight in at Number 1, but I continue to have a hunch that Atlanitic SSTs are higher up it than most give credit for....I think they may have had something to do with last years fail.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Out of that lot, I can only say that I'm pretty sure the QBO will be favourable!

Joking aside, I remember listing some of these teleconnection factors that can affect UK winter early in the season, but said that not knowing the pecking order was an issue.  My personal pecking order has changed as a result of this winter with, yes, the IOD a new entry straight in at Number 1, but I continue to have a hunch that Atlanitic SSTs are higher up it than most give credit for....I think they may have had something to do with last years fail.  

Ha ha ha! Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm wrong to think the S&M index will lead to anything except more pain for someone or other!

Atlantic SSTs are definitely important too. Whenever we've had a tripole (warm SSTs around Greenland, cooler across the mid-Atlantic and warm again over the tropical Atlantic) it has tended to lead to winters that have been generally cold or, at least, have had one or two significant cold spells

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Good grief, the GEM brings us winds from Cape Verde*. Surely high teens would be reached to the east of high ground with this horror chart:

image.thumb.png.9eda6e52172927189d7ccb47fba2535c.png

The warmest ever January could still be on if the month ends with this

*yes, I know, it's the GEM but thought it still worthwhile commenting on

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, LRD said:

Good grief, the GEM brings us winds from Cape Verde*. Surely high teems would be reached to the east of high ground with this horror chart:

image.thumb.png.9eda6e52172927189d7ccb47fba2535c.png

The warmest ever January could still be on if the month ends with this

*yes, I know, it's the GEM but thought it still worthwhile commenting on

That really is the true definition chart of a Bartlett.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, E17boy said:

Good afternoon 

Hi John what are your thoughts as we move towards the end of January and into February. Do you think there is still a chance to scrape something cold from this winter. I know the theme going forward seems to be focussed on a lot of high pressure around .I think a lot of people had expectations of a brekthrogh towards the end of January (which could still happen) we have seen pattern changes happening overnight but to me I can't see anything positive in terms iof cold or snow in the coming days.

i had much hoped that we would see a trend in European temperatures lowering, but still there is nothing drastically cold. The high pressure has been a real spoiler of this winter and experience does say that these highs can be the best for summer but the nightmare of winter. 

I think going forward we need to see some changes happening if we are going to get anything of what's left this winter. 

Hope you all have s great weekend

kind regards

Hi

I am not any kind of expert in anything beyound about 2 weeks or so. Then mainly suggesting how the upper air looks to be heading. As far as those charts (the 500 mb anomaly charts ) suggest then there is little signal for any major change in the upper air pattern as shown by the NOAA issue this evening, see below

Sorry I cannot help you any further than that.

• Like 7