Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Model Output Discussion - Happy New Year!

11 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

To do list. 

No1 get some high pressure.... Check. 

No2... Bring us some frost.... Check

No3.. Get some cold air in place and open up the potential for some snow further down the line... Still awaiting!! 

At long last we may be able to see a frozen pond or 2...and kill of some of them mosquitos.. 🤣Also some interest from the 12z ensembles.. Certainly better than the last few weeks. 

gens-1-1-192.png

gens-1-0-192.png

gens-6-1-228.png

gens-6-0-204.png

gens-7-1-336.png

gens-10-0-312.png

gens-10-1-312.png

gens-16-0-372.png

gens-19-1-192.png

yeah had a gander through  em. ..pert-10'would be a terrific  starting block! !!

@no pun-intintended 😉. .#block

Edited by tight isobar

At one point on Sunday morning we were down to 3 looking at this thread things were so gloomy, 108 and rising seems to indicate pattern change is needed, not just a possible happening.

This is a stonker, just need to get some moisture in there.

Edited by matty40s

spacer.pngECM 12z @ 192

i think most us us are expecting a cold UK High now ( which could last 7 days or so according to most models )

It doesn't look as if it can get far enough North ( yet ) for Easterlies

Maybe some cold PM shots later ( which could be potent and deliver decent snowfall to the North )

We have come quite a long way in the last 4 days of model watching. Plenty of Winter remains.  

Looks like UKMO extended at 168t similar to ECM chart below. Mild flow into Scotland particularly. Difference in the positioning of the high centre compared to the American models who develop a colder continental flow into Southern Britain at least. Who will be right or will they all get in wrong ?

C

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

At one point on Sunday morning we were down to 3 looking at this thread things were so gloomy, 108 and rising seems to indicate pattern change is needed, not just a possible happening.

This is a stonker, just need to get some moisture in there.

What is a stonker?

4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What is a stonker?

Not sure I’ve seen any run that warrants that adjective .....

Just now, bluearmy said:

Not sure I’ve seen any run that warrants that adjective .....

Yes - Thats what i thought

Just now, Ice Day said:

Well as positivity reigns on here tonight, here's a bit more.  The ECM Mean at 216 is showing the majority of the PV 'our side', well away from it's usual home

image.thumb.png.1940ea82305c6c49a5c08fc2bfd55306.png

The ECM was also a warm outlier for 192 onwards as well (can't post image for some reason though?)

All eye's on the Pub Run to see if it can keep the mood going!

Both gefs and eps in fi take the tpv slowly back to Canada .... it may not be all of it which means there is an opportunity for a split if the ridges get their act together as it stretches ......possible but unlikely at the moment 

image.thumb.png.1d09eb062b0cd88fc463ccda65b466ec.pngimage.thumb.png.7493106c5a73c24e891060f7a68e24fb.pngimage.thumb.png.302f0792e59cdc71717fd8be3b66e113.png

into the weekend some frost and maybe snow

Edited by Dennis

No respite for coldies on the latest ec46 .... euro high persists throughout the period post week 2

Edited by bluearmy

All models showing a marked pattern change within the reliable timeframe now, 128 hrs, high pressure back on the scene, and a robust looking high if the models are right. Temperatures will also revert back to something more nearer the average for January, dare I say it even a bit below.. high pressure directly overhead in January means significant surface cold, light winds and a weak sun don't have much effect.

There are differences between GFS and ECM, the former wants to bring a cold continental flow, the latter orientates the high in a position that doesn't really bring in any cold continental air, but either way conditions on the surface will likely be the same.

Longer term - conjecture really, highs up to 145mbs as forecast can linger longer than expected. All eyes on where the PV positions itself, some models want to move the core to Siberia then back towards Canada again.. to my untrained eye, I suspect the high will eventually sink, or it might just be able to advect west into mid atlantic - in both scenarios our weather could well be coming from the NW before the month is out, with arctic air spilling out into the N Atlantic, something wintry to end the month at last may be??

3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

No respite for coldies on the latest ec46 .... euro high persists throughout the period post week 2

Let’s hope they are as wrong as they were last year when they were promising northern blocking but that never materialised!!

Pretty crap gfs 18z!!slightly flatter compared to 12z!dont really expect any improvements on the 00z!!probably flatter still end then end up with a high centred further south across south of england and france!! 

Just now, shaky said:

Pretty crap gfs 18z!!slightly flatter compared to 12z!dont really expect any improvements on the 00z!!probably flatter still end then end up with a high centred further south across south of england and france!! 

I thought the high looked further west? 

Just now, Griff said:

I thought the high looked further west? 

Does but also lost the continental flow aswell!!story of this winter so far!

What does the ECM46 top out at please someone?

Gfs 18z looks a bit suspect in the 168-192 hrs timeframe in how it models low heights over med.. a deep low quickly filling which allows the high to pull out west. Sticking to the reliable it is pretty similar to 12z output . 

3 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

No, not normal at all. The January CET so far is 3.8C above average. The December CET was about 1c above average. The average days with snow falling for most low lying parts of the country  should be 8 days, not 0. Nothing about this winter is normal.

I'd say December was fairly normal at least, and lets leave the summation on January until it has finished, not even half way through yet. Indeed we are only just at the half way point of winter as a whole. The synoptics of past 2-3 weeks have enabled tropical maritime air to dominate, whenever it does in winter you will easily see means 2- 3 degrees above normal and most winters bring such spells in some years they are sustained much more so than others.. too many to mention since 87-88. 

get ready some warmer clothes into friday/saturday this week

image.thumb.png.ea86019bbf2706666c88482ac2a045f2.png

2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What is a stonker?

This is a near stonker though, very cold air would sweep down if it went further.

image.thumb.png.bf977101dc649aaed815ccf85381daf3.png