Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Happy New Year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

It's better than the non slush that we have had so far,i would settle for some white stuff falling out of the sky,in fact I think almost anywhere in the UK might see something white falling out of the sky next week Feb

blimey! i am blinded by all that pink snow

could be a good PM shot this and could be the starter to the main course as we go into February. 

Those GFS snow xharts are always overdone, i will eat my hat if that is all snow.

• Like 2

Posted

A big change in output from various models from showing potentially a significant storm system on Monday night to now a small disturbance bringing an enhancement of showers across England and Wales on Monday night into Tuesday it shows quite well one or two details can change the whole scenario, it looks as though the low in question stays in the Atlantic with only a small segment of energy from this moving into southern UK or France during Monday night bringing more organised showery rain with a small chance of hill snow eastwards here into Tuesday morning which I mentioned yesterday too. 

GFS.. 

IMG_20200124_234540.thumb.jpg.39228ab141e306ea21192d2aa4da79b7.jpg

IMG_20200124_234648.thumb.jpg.5a03ea43755706c52dbffe10e62ff6c8.jpg

The remnants of that low likely to merge with further low pressure systems at the end of next week. 

Upto Wednesday looking very showery with the lows to the north of the UK greatly influencing our weather with most showers for Western and northern areas where some snow is possible especially on high ground, further disturbances may form in the northwesterly flow to bring more organised rain sleet and snow further south too but that will be something to look at closer to the time.

1592214293_EUROPE_PRMSL_96(2).thumb.jpg.353f861461ef0b2fd1221ced0b37cd78.jpg

It looks likely that things will become milder by the latter part of next week with more widespread wet and windy weather this likely to continue to day 10. 

1819602970_EUROPE_PRMSL_126(3).thumb.jpg.a124a086ec0ab65325b888e56a7e7aab.jpg

1517547728_EUROPE_PRMSL_168(1).thumb.jpg.933af0dcf1176f4c09bde97289a2e8fb.jpg

EUROPE_PRMSL_234.thumb.jpg.84d798d6ebad278b1c7b4033178d0d50.jpg

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Those GFS snow xharts are always overdone, i will eat my hat if that is all snow.

Yes i think they are overdone a bit but....

Untitled.thumb.png.a623809ffbd4316bb9885f13fa9639e2.png

the 850's would be conjunctive to snowfall i would of thought.

this is my local.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Pre-D10 nothing much to add. Post-D10, the height rise around the UK looks likely:

anim_lof9.gif

Mean anomaly is quite clear with the op and control leading the way with stronger heights. Usually when GFS spots a pattern like this it overdoes the height-rise north, and this run more in keeping with a UK high not high-lat. As it builds, relatively mild, chances it will become a cooler high at the end of FI. My region:

graphe6_1000_303_155___.thumb.png.e379457ba0600a52a1648e6d05ab23ff.png

Mean 2m at the end closer to average. ECM D9-10 height rise in the south, but ECM at that range not trustworthy with just the op as a guide. GEM at D10 building heights close to the UK. So a period of HP for early to mid-Feb likely.

The GFS MJO looks low amplitude for the next two weeks, but signal back through 2-3 at the end:

1402749611_ensplume_full(2).thumb.gif.bcfa5b3f822e4c5a582307651b368cf0.gif

No help here for a late winter burst as that looks just background noise.

The individual GEFS in FI still showing all sorts, good and bad, so no solid conclusion as to how that height rise will interact in our region with the other variables. Until a good cluster grouping, it is a case that a height rise is the main probability, but confidence remains not high as to D12+. Let us see if anything develops in the strat, as the strong coupling may mean a quick response, and a flip in the current pattern.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T240 gfs and ecm. Wasn’t sure whether to post these or a pic of tumble weed

11F4BDB1-A49F-4C6A-A36E-6EE49E7A6E43.png

9DF9B9AB-DBDB-47BE-B9B8-D9DBC15CFAF4.png

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like a re rinse again high pressure building in around 10 days over or around UK after a mild unsettled 

period to end a very mild January.I suppose the question is that many or most places may not see snow this

winter my take is that we most definitely will,perhaps late Feb or March.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
8 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

I've lost all focus on the short term, I desperately need a snow fix... Almost 2 years for the love of god!! P6 from the 18z is a complete snow making machine..... Make it so...

Edit... Me and si thinking alike.. Lol

gens-6-0-324.png

gens-6-1-336.png

You’ll probably carry on not seeing it if you’re just poking around in FI 

• Like 1

Posted

Despite it being a very SWly winter it has snowed every month since november here.

Snow showers next tuesday into midweek.78_30.gif

image.thumb.png.67d49a4b722808145ffef3115b586b73.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Well next week continues to become a more disappointing outlook.  Aside from ridiculous snow charts from GFS (which are bin fodder at best) the temps are looking like hitting double figures and more of our usual dross will be the order of the day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Since it’s feeling a bit low in here this morning (which can understand), been going around picking cherries off the tree. I came across a particularly juicy one from the NAVGEM this morning

5D16C420-B75C-41FA-8817-03F41EE910C5.thumb.png.ac2a4a2fc7b9f1e00afa92e9cec747ba.pngF218C339-F7B0-41CB-B93E-9429F2033300.thumb.png.6545e7d44025fd748bac0ab184cf5fe2.png
Around next weekend, it seems to be showing High Pressure to the North-East of the UK over Scandinavia and Russia to be dominant. A bit more further West, and the UK would be under an Easterly to North-Easterly flow. It’s not definite that Low in the Atlantic at 180 hours would quite slide and disrupt properly against that block. Likely that the 00Z NAVGEM is over-powering heights in that area and the chart being quite far away to wonder too much about. Fun to look at, though

As one or two others say, the best chance of anything wintry in the closer range does seem to be Tuesday next week. 00Z GFS showing a strip of -5*C to -7*C (perhaps the odd -8*C) 850 hPa temperatures affecting numerous areas of the UK during that day. 
D16500FD-1093-40E2-A44E-BFF757EEF8A5.thumb.png.4cc640e701032bae458041666f539b73.pngBFEB9E20-F1D6-4458-90ED-B5DCCD862238.thumb.png.f07cea826a44c644668caa0692b86e11.png
A pretty chilly Westerly flow, which could bring a wintry mix of showers, especially the further West and North you are in the UK. Sometimes you have to be weary of how cold the GFS shows the 850 hPa temperatures, as they can be over done a bit at times. Could provide some interesting  weather nonetheless.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Correcting mistakes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Ignoring (for now!) the possible effects from likely upcoming changes in the strat, another unexciting GFS 00Z run comes to another unexciting end:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

I guess the operational run is continuing to flip-flop between the warm and cold ends of the ensemble?

• Like 4

Posted

And, back in the nearer term, a chance that a few of us, down here in the Snowless Zone might actually see a flake or two, come Tuesday!:clapping::yahoo:

There be troughs in them thar westerlies!:oldgood:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted

Quite a complicated picture in the medium term .

Although two aspects look likely to verify . The Canadian high which edges east into the nw Atlantic and the deepish low developing further upstream and heading towards the ne USA.

The problem is highlighted by today’s ECM op and some GFS runs . As the upstream flow develops more amplitude we see the jet dig se to the west of the UK and phasing issues are apparent with that shortwave energy in the mid Atlantic .

The limpet Euro high can’t escape nw if it’s blocked in by that shortwave energy . Without that you normally find the Euro high edging west and nw as the upstream flow amplifies meeting up with the amplified Canadian high which is pushing east .

The ECM doesn’t allow the limpet Euro high an escape route so the UK ends up on the wrong side of the jet at day ten.

There is a chance of some colder conditions if that shortwave energy in the Atlantic acts more favourably because we are likely to see at least a window of amplification upstream .

• Like 5

Posted

Aye, changes are afoot; but will they bring any cold & snow to the UK? Perhaps there's a suggestion of some future HLB there, at T+384, but it's not going to be straightforward...

Will that LP, east of Scotland, even be there, come 10/2?:oldlaugh:

• Like 6

Posted

A very messy picture upto day ten with each GFS run throwing up a different solution regarding shortwave energy in the Atlantic .

Although the Canadian high and deep ne USA low continue to show up the detail ahead of those two features varies considerably .

The upstream pattern does increase in amplitude temporarily so that does give a chance of something colder for the UK but much depends on that shortwave energy in the mid Atlantic .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Could we be close to a split vortex.. Wouldn't it be great to get one at this stage with a QTR... would make final 3rd of Feb very interesting. 

gfsnh-0-360.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

With all this talk of what may happen down the line, I’d rather think about what may or may not happen next week first then worry about the fi stuff which changes hourly let alone daily 

• Like 3

Posted

gens_panel_mxp2.png  More and more interesting options in the far reaches of FI 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Gordon Bennett! Could a limpet HP be positioned in a worse location? Please Mr God, can we not have an SSW as frustratingly useless as last-year's was? I'll be good---I promise!

Looks like the balkans and Greece in the firing line again it seems suits me I’ll be in Bulgaria skiing

Posted

Starting to see some interest in the later output. Still a loooooooong way to go but.......

B9012A3A-13AE-4F4E-86EC-A68FEA426943.png

• Like 2