Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Happy New Year!

Posted

The ECM ends on a better note with quite a lot of energy digging quite far south into the Atlantic to the west of the UK .

We could do with more amplitude upstream to help sharpen up that troughing to the west .

After the GFS clown under the bed Poltergeist special the ECM is somewhat of a relief .

The question is whether we can see a few runs building on that digging energy into the Atlantic .

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM ends on a better note with quite a lot of energy digging quite far south into the Atlantic to the west of the UK .

We could do with more amplitude upstream to help sharpen up that troughing to the west .

After the GFS clown under the bed Poltergeist special the ECM is somewhat of a relief .

The question is whether we can see a few runs building on that digging energy into the Atlantic .

The point is that when output for cold for the UK is dire, any cold charts, whether in operational runs or those of ensemble members, or even charts showing good building blocks to cold for the UK, may develop in the far reaches of FI, and remain at 300hrs + in the GFS or at 240hrs in ECM as days of new runs go by, and never become any closer.  Cold spells that do materialize are not always picked up by the GFS at 300 hours+.  GFS and even ECM sometimes picks up the signal at around 240hrs, but then they sometimes get watered down by 168hrs and reappear by 120hrs.  That said, I have known good cold setups get to 120hrs ahead, but then when the timeframe gets nearer, end up with actually getting a less impressive setup by 0-24hrs.

• Like 3

Posted

ECM 12Z  not that bad  couple of double figure temperatures this coming week, may be 13c or 14c no major 

heatwave soon back to average temperatures.A hint once again that Euro high at 10 day trying to push north

lots of uncertainty,charts can change for the better in the next week,would not be surprised to see a much 

colder push from the northeast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Sadly it is a D10 chart which is worthless of late.

The last two days 12z D10 charts and what they are now showing today:

Thursday>1761512070_ECE1-240(2).thumb.gif.e0305bcc78c13ebb68fff313daa47a8e.gif260149874_ECE1-192(7).thumb.gif.f8f72b625ccd546b0d8976a952db7345.gif

Yesterday>1712127159_ECE1-240(1).thumb.gif.770376dd2ba9f5052a62e0c5ddeb94ad.gif174869489_ECE1-216(1).thumb.gif.8a9a62bfc3c30c0958c3b0b6fd493272.gif

I really do not know why ECM is so bad at that range, hey ho, least it is consistent, so we know to ignore it!

• Like 2

Posted

I've not been commenting on the models much over the past couple of weeks, partly due to christmas festivities and also partly just to give myself a bit of a break. 

We do seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment, with strong euro heights and strong PV to the NW, end result a broad westerly flow, bringing some rain and wind at times, only brief drier slots, and predominantly mild, its the default pattern winter synoptic, and we've been here so many times at this juncture. 

It is a case of wait and see how long it takes to break out of it.. typically as we move further into winter mid-late January, westerlies and PV do weaken and consequently chances of a shake up increase.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
13 minutes ago, IDO said:

Sadly it is a D10 chart which is worthless of late.

The last two days 12z D10 charts and what they are now showing today:

Thursday>1761512070_ECE1-240(2).thumb.gif.e0305bcc78c13ebb68fff313daa47a8e.gif260149874_ECE1-192(7).thumb.gif.f8f72b625ccd546b0d8976a952db7345.gif

Yesterday>1712127159_ECE1-240(1).thumb.gif.770376dd2ba9f5052a62e0c5ddeb94ad.gif174869489_ECE1-216(1).thumb.gif.8a9a62bfc3c30c0958c3b0b6fd493272.gif

I really do not know why ECM is so bad at that range, hey ho, least it is consistent, so we know to ignore it!

Ignoring the ecmwf- @anyrange of its 0/240 outs is ridiculous!! Perhaps you should check both veryfication/format outcomes!! It p@sses over other raws 99:9% in range and out range. And is also a great pointer of realisation of pattern change!!!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Ignoring the ecmwf- @anyrange of its 0/240 outs is ridiculous!! Perhaps you should check both veryfication/format outcomes!! It p@sses over other raws 99:9% in range and out range. And is also a great pointer of realisation of pattern change!!!!!

...if I had £10 for every D10 ECM chart that over-did heights I would be skiing in Lapland rather than sitting in the UK waiting for my first hard-frost of the Winter!

I do not use ECM as a guide as I do not have full access to the suite. At least with the GEFS we can delve deep into the finer details and draw our own conclusions. All we have as public record for the ECM is a ten-day run at 24h intervals. Not helpful if you are going to make informed judgements? I get that ECM is the best on most occasions, due mainly to several GFS bias'. However it has its own foibles which we see every winter year-on-year, and still there are D10 ECM charts posted as if they have a hope of verifying! Get that D10 intact down to D6-7 and I am a believer! 

D10 mean -v- op 12z:

1320340991_EDE1-240(1).thumb.gif.c459ef0c5be6cb1b6d0fff0fa914f5b7.gif1921605071_ECE1-240(3).thumb.gif.e5d329d9b93729ac79c313ef3b0ec89c.gif

Cheers, love your posts by the way.

• Like 4

Posted

My take on the latter part of the ecm if it's of any interest. At t180 it slides a trough down from northern Canada into the western Atlantic and the subtropical high over the south east US starts to amplify. The trough then merges with the Atlantic trough which initiates amplification down stream and the rest is now history

ecmwf-deterministic-natl_wide-vort500_z500-8787200.thumb.png.130c7c9d99d4855d4ef317bc9f50a9e4.pngecmwf-deterministic-natl_wide-vort500_z500-8895200.thumb.png.b438d40aba78f195b811863f01b075f3.pngecmwf-deterministic-natl_wide-z300_speed-8895200.thumb.png.8b639670a6dbb7850f74e73865923d7c.png

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

I do not use ECM as a guide as I do not have full access to the suite. At least with the GEFS we can delve deep into the finer details and draw our own conclusions. All we have as public record for the ECM is a ten-day run at 24h intervals. Not helpful if you are going to make informed judgements? 

WWW.WXCHARTS.COM

A new weather forecast model data viewer for Europe and North America. Clickable forecast and ensemble plots, hourly GFS, ECMWF, ARPEGE and GEFS plots

Here you go ^^ select High Res ECM and use the slider for short intervals 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS/UKMO similar at 144 which means we can probably with some safety write off the next 2 weeks for cold.

BBC monthly now taking us into Feb with zero sign of any high lat blocking.

Perhaps those us who wrote off Jan some days ago were not so foolish afterall, normally i would agree writing off a whole month of winter would be extremely negative/pessimistic  but experienced model watchers will have seen the current entrenched pattern through the years and quickly deduced there was a good chance of a horrendous Jan ..

I'm not giving up on Feb though.

With a lot of luck which we ain’t getting, then Jan was suspected to be a nightmare for cold and written off in November.......’HP to be in the wrong place’.....and so we have it....I cannot see it changing as a general theme....as many others 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Crumbs of comfort from the 18Z GFS

Thursday's low much less powerful. High pressure really trying to dominate more during the following week. A pub run style northwesterly at 384hrs.

h850t850eu.png  h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Best of a still-not-ideal bunch.

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

But you said this in December, following a claim by you that the forecasts of a mild winter were going to be wrong? ....

C4FBC816-7A89-4069-AD5A-2012F5C990AC.jpeg

Maybe the moon is not in Capricorn after all.  Or something.

• Like 6

Posted

Nothing new to report in the semi reliable and into FI on the midnight runs from GFS and UKMO With a powerful SPV residing to our north.

• Like 1

Posted

FI on the midnight ECM brings hope! Height rises in the right places! I know it’s 240 away, but that a couple of runs now where ECM brings an easterly tease with a few adjustments that aren’t too inconceivable!

7EBB862C-A288-4DC8-AA46-EF49569739BA.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
14 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

FI on the midnight ECM brings hope! Height rises in the right places! I know it’s 240 away, but that a couple of runs now where ECM brings an easterly tease with a few adjustments that aren’t too inconceivable!

7EBB862C-A288-4DC8-AA46-EF49569739BA.jpeg

It may be a chink of light at the end of what’s been a very dark tunnel of model forecasting of late but all I can see from that day 10 chart is the likelihood of that high/block just continuing to slow down the progression of those Atlantic systems and thus maintaining a mild south to southwesterly airflow. The only positive being that those same euro heights would probably continue to deflect the worst of any wind and rain well away to the northwest. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
9 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

It may be a chink of light at the end of what’s been a very dark tunnel of model forecasting of late but all I can see from that day 10 chart is the likelihood of that high/block just continuing to slow down the progression of those Atlantic systems and thus maintaining a mild south to southwesterly airflow. The only positive being that those same euro heights would probably continue to deflect the worst of any wind and rain well away to the northwest. 

Lack of low heights over the med though, I think we will just end up with a sceuro, trough out west just hitting the block and the UK in a no man's land S, SW, SE alternating flow. 

• Like 3

Posted

The ECM is broadly similar to last nights run.

It does look a bit of a stalemate though with troughing to the west and the high stuck to the east but in terms of NH pattern compared to the GFS it’s alot better with the PV blob of doom split .

The GFS is to be blunt a horror show of epic proportions for coldies at day ten .

• Like 1

Posted

Given there’s very little going on to change the current pattern we might need some help from the MJO later in the month .

All depends on whether the signal for that can escape phases 4 and 5 and at least get into phase 6 and much better into phase 7.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM is broadly similar to last nights run.

It does look a bit of a stalemate though with troughing to the west and the high stuck to the east but in terms of NH pattern compared to the GFS it’s alot better with the PV blob of doom split .

The GFS is to be blunt a horror show of epic proportions for coldies at day ten .

The D10 ECM is just a snapshot of a zonal flow with mini-waves in the flow as competing forces vie for territory. That D10 is not showing a standing wave or forcing, just the ebb and flow as westerly motion wins the day. Looking at D10 means and they pretty much are onside:

17312999_gens-21-1-240(5).thumb.png.48ae5a9c520e856102e816276ae70bff.png1167868328_EDM1-240(4).thumb.gif.8b88660c8b6404fc5b5ae39407448440.gif

Subtle variations but a classic zonal setup. Even if we take the day 10 op seriously we can see that there is little hope of any cold manifesting from that chart:

ECE4-240.thumb.gif.5a2b875b6379d16ce6a6a1c82c0cdf1c.gif100760127_ECE1-240(5).thumb.gif.dd4a6069561675ab2ac0ebf704cf080a.gif

Absolutely no upper flow close to an easterly with two tPV chunks lining up to march east helped by the undercurrent of the HP cell train from the Pacific. In such a pattern where the tPV is circulating to our north there will be lulls where mini-ridges can bridge north until they bump into the tPV and are then pushed east. 

If we can get some tropical forcing then we can sustain a ridge and the WAA should get to work and this can turn things around relatively quickly, but no sign on the GFS of wave propagation in the Atlantic and the Pacific high is just oscillating rather than punching north. We await developments in the background to kill this pattern.

Edited by IDO
  • Like 4