Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Norrance

It was a nice sunny day here in Dunoon the best day of weather we've had in a few days after going about 5 days straight with heavy showers and mostly cloudy.

Went out this afternoon to take some photos a few of the hills still with snow on them,

4th5.thumb.png.95b68397f14c5c03369eb1c5fe66de83.png 4th10.thumb.png.58d55235a8a3be286a1a57fb1a95e01e.png

Some boats sitting outside Greenock in the distance,

4th8.thumb.png.5d4d13ffd5eb5d766f6564221d9bf8a3.png

A look over to Gourock,

4th6.thumb.png.98b75ef508f6eec602da17a7d26546e1.png

And looking over to Gourock again possibly some of Greenock and I believe that's also Erskine bridge in the distance as well just shows you how good the visibility was today.

4th9.thumb.png.a36eee9a1db6c6825ce2e31ffc87560c.png

• Like 8

Posted

Colder on the commute today. -4C at the house, -5C and light snow between Dunecht and Elrick. Sun starting to rise in Aberdeen, another bright sunny day on the cards.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Glorious sunrise this morning, no picture as I was too busy trying to coax my tortie cat out from under the (leaking) shower where she was stuck. Succeeded at last by squirting her with son's water pistol. Now she's sulking. 

Looks like it's going to be a nice enough day today. Roll on the summer. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Another lovely morning here so far, bright and clear -5c.

• Like 5

Posted

Thanks for all your tips about Scotland. I've booked to go to.............the rocky mountains, Canada lol. I figured I'll go for guaranteed snow, though Glencoe is looking pretty good right now.

My little girl is going on holiday to Scotland with her grandparents next week - I've instructed them to travel to the snow so I can live vicariously through her for now

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 5

Posted

Thirty first air frost at -4.7C. Lovely sunrise as others have been saying - blindingly low (obvs!). 

• Like 5

Posted

Fine Frosty  start here at 0c.Ben Wyvis looking resplendant in its  very thick winter coat.Probably 2 to 3 metres thick with the hills to the west looking the same. Glad the ski operators are getting a chance to get some income.Should last till late  spring  end of  May  possibly. Somewhere on the Scottish Mountains should manage some good Midsummers day skiing unless there is a lot of warm rain.

001.thumb.JPG.3210e1e05a9a00611461eedcf1abccb4.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

stats from winter from Met Office -  Scotland - Mean winter temp 4.01 C - 8th warmest

December 4.1 C tied 14th 

January 4.8 C 5th warmest

February 3.1 C tied 18th 

Scotland East - Mean winter temp 3.60 C 8th warmest

December 3.7 C tied 14th

January 4.3 C 4th warmest

February 2.8 C tied 19th

Scotland West - Mean winter temp  4.68 C 8th warmest

December 4.9 C tied 14th

January 5.2 C 5th warmest

February 4.0 C tied 15th

Scotland North - Mean winter temp 3.85 C 11th warmest

December 3.9 C tied 14th

January 4.8 C tied 4th warmest

February 2.7 C tied 22nd

• Like 3

Posted

Another cold start -4C. Snowploughs out gritting the roads on the commute this morning. Snow expected early tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
13 hours ago, Norrance said:

Another nice day here though a bit more cloud in the afternoon and feeling cool in the shade. Max was 6.0C and min -1.7C

Nice to see the snow piling up in the mountains. Backs at Nevis range and CM at Cairngorm in the following pics.

77BE8271-6D53-4848-9742-4AE55493F31C.jpeg

B714F249-9241-41A6-BDE1-88A2CDE9ED6E.jpeg

Similar to winter 2013/14 when the snow was almost exclusively confined to the Scottish mountains. 

• Like 6

Posted

Wee bit of rain in the air but nothing terribly heavy. Tomorrow might be a different matter though

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Another cold start -4C. Snowploughs out gritting the roads on the commute this morning. Snow expected early tomorrow.

Still remnants of the last lot on the North facing parts of the local hills, as well as around Tillyfourie in the trees. Just shows that despite being relatively sunny it hasn't been warm. 

• Like 6

Posted

I’ve been keeping an eye on the models for a few days now, they are showing some very cold scenarios for scotland in the long term... a few members going for <-10C isotherms. 

Blustery wintry showers are likely to return from next wednesday, again down to low levels at times should it be confirmed.

• Like 9

Posted
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Still remnants of the last lot on the North facing parts of the local hills, as well as around Tillyfourie in the trees. Just shows that despite being relatively sunny it hasn't been warm. 

Still cold enough early morning to keep the winter tyres on. The return journey around 3pm is a different story. Aberdeen's been up to 10C this week, but once past Elrick, the temperatures fall away. 8C while driving past Sauchen around lunchtime today, once you drop down into the vale of Alford, a bit cooler at 6C. Currently sat outside enjoying coffee in the sun.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I've been inactive this week due to flu.

However the weather has been fine with no rain and lots of sun as well as morning frosts.  The hills look very white still to the west of here but following the usual pattern of this winter, this weekend's weather looks poor for taking advantage.

I hope we all keep well over the next few weeks.

• Like 9

Posted
16 hours ago, shuggee said:

Thirty-second air frost at -3.5C. Was pretty but apologies for the boring post.

It has to be said, although this winter has been pants for snow at low elevations, the air frosts this season seem to me to have been exceptional. I work in a job that means I'm up at 4am and defrosting the car has become a chore! Started early as well, from late October/early November which for sea level in Port Seton on the East Coast is unexpected.  6 degrees here just now so the first time this week I won't have to defrost the car!

• Like 6

Posted

Cloudy, southerly wind and 9C. First morning in a week that the car didn't need deiced. 

Upstairs windows have been open all afternoon to let fresh air in.

• Like 3

Posted

Landed lucky with the weather this morning - Bright, dry and 7C. One of the firewood sheds needs restocked - 20m3.

Farmer duly arrived at 6am and dropped the first load. A mixture of beech and ash hardwood, fully seasoned and ready to burn. I divide the shed into 3 sections using 2 divider rows. Once the rows are waist height, through logs behind them. Then rinse and repeat until the rows are at max height. Super fast way and it allows air to circulate much better than stacking completely.

20200308_085440.jpg

Going to take a while to fill the shed....

20200308_085420.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5