Radar
Pollen

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    17 minutes ago, 101_North said:

All eyes to the weekend then?

Screenshot_20200224-194153.thumb.png.5e98241c863038e9dce78aabb0daf3fd.png

Oh will yer no get tae *#@$ wi yer nonsense...  ;)

• Like 8
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 5.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

Posted
    26 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Oh will yer no get tae *#@$ wi yer nonsense...  ;)

True ?? GFS is generally a load of baws ??

Edited by 101_North
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

True ??GFS is generally a load of baws ??

HOT baws at that.

How do I change this crappy little dull chink noise for NW notifications to something cheerier?

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

If it's snow and ice you're after, then I managed to capture Greenland and Baffin Island earlier on MN-2 satellite pass. Looks like hefty dose of sea ice, icebergs dotted around. 

baf_gr.jpg

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    2 hours ago, 101_North said:

All eyes to the weekend then?

Screenshot_20200224-194153.thumb.png.5e98241c863038e9dce78aabb0daf3fd.png

Don't start yer pish again ?

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cleared another cm of wet stuff from driveway before bed. Still light flurries but that should be the bulk of it over now, so anyone up for guessing how long my piles (of snow) last? If it freezes overnight I suspect I could have remnants into the weekend or beyond. 

• Like 8
    Posted

Considering how bad December and January have been, it's been nice to see a few snowfalls over the last couple of weeks. The blizzardy showers from the west were quite exciting to watch too (10-12 February and again last Saturday)

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

wrf has snow for here and a few other places through the night but I dont know if I have the energy left to get my hopes up again ? and @Mr Frost tomorrow looks a great day for you for taking cloud pics with lots of showers with sleet, snow and thunder all possible ?️ This before it melts in the morning nmm_uk1-45-14-3.thumb.png.6c74104d08a5fc25690af44b5e5fb4ab.png current temps here 1.2 C / DP 0.7 C

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

-4 to -2C on this mornings commute, with mist lying in the valleys. Still plenty of now slightly frozen snow lying at home but very little in Inverurie. Car was vibrating at certain speeds this morning, hopefully just frozen snow stuck somewhere and nothing more sinister after yesterdays snow plough impression. 

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise - I'm looking at getting my snow fix (just to see it on the hills this winter would be something for me)

I'm thinking of spending a long weekend in the Cairngorms. Cottage, log fire, wine - that kind of thing. Some places I've looked at are Ballater, Braemar, Tomintoul, Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey.

Would I go wrong getting an air bnb in any of these places and travelling around the area sightseeing? 

Appreciate any insight. Thanks :-) 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    40 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise - I'm looking at getting my snow fix (just to see it on the hills this winter would be something for me)

I'm thinking of spending a long weekend in the Cairngorms. Cottage, log fire, wine - that kind of thing. Some places I've looked at are Ballater, Braemar, Tomintoul, Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey.

Would I go wrong getting an air bnb in any of these places and travelling around the area sightseeing? 

Appreciate any insight. Thanks ?

While all are great I think that if you are going to be driving about there are more options from Speyside, especially if you want to go West at all. If you have younger family there are also more things to do and see especially for kids. Having said that Upper Deeside is beautiful and is well worth a visit.

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

Hi all,

Appreciate any insight. Thanks ?

I would tend to agree with Norrance above.

I was in Ballater and Tomintoul last Thursday, albeit before the weekend snow event, and the snow cover around there was quite sparse. A peek at the Cairngorm webcams this morning indicates quite a snowy scene there at present, and so maybe the area between Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey would be worth considering, and as has been said, is a good starting point for exploring further west.

Edited by ciel
    • Like 3
    Posted

Thank you both for your insight. I’ll take that into account. Braemar has suddenly become a top pick based on those pics! Nice ❄️ 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
    4 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Thank you both for your insight. I’ll take that into account. Braemar has suddenly become a top pick based on those pics! Nice ❄️ 

Not too much to do though.... No offence tiff ? couldn't agree more re the guys, I have a timeshare in Aviemore which has a real buzz to it these days and plenty activities and a close drive to the cairngorm or Loch morlich and to a large city Inverness.... Really has a bit of everything. 

• Like 8
    Posted
    6 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Theres a good coffee shop in Braemar. Wood burning stove and great cakes. The perfect warm up if you've been up to Glenshee. 

As others have mentioned, upper Deeside is picture postcard stuff, especially during Autumn and Winter.

Consider driving the notorious Cockbridge to Tomintoul road. Stunning scenery ?

Enjoy your trip! 

Edited by Sceptical
    • Like 6